Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Concessionary Oldies TV Licence  (Read 17331 times)

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Concessionary Oldies TV Licence
« Reply #75 on: August 08, 2019, 07:56:48 pm »

You are paying for an ongoing service. Someone has to, presumably that someone ought to be those paying for your pension while compulsory building up their own so the state can abrogate that responsibility in the future, as well as struggling to afford a house (guess who got the cheap housing?) and paying off their student loans (guess who got free education?) and watching all their local services taken away (libraries? Those were things we had when we were kids but not now).

If you really can't afford it, claim benefit and you get it for free.

And I've seen license fee-free TV in Australia and Canada. It's horrible. The BBC may not be perfect, but it's probably the least worst system.

Somebody has to pay for my pensions ? Probably, because I had to pay for other people's pensions during the 50 years I was earning , that is how it works when government does not invest peoples contributions and hold it till they have to pay them out but instead has a non funded scheme using the money as income to spend. Who got cheap housing ? When first married we lived in a manky flat scraping the deposit for a house and taking on two jobs in order to pay the mortgage. Those who got student loans are not those now reaching retirement age, In my early days it was state school (paid out of general taxation ) till 16 then out to work 51/2 days a week  for 50 years paying income tax, national insurance ( this was meant for our pensions) Purchase tax, later VAT, 

As far as I am concerned I can pay the licence fee but if you read the threads the insult we feel is that the government has decided that because things have got tight they need to predate on the retired and the license fee is only one benefit cut, winter heating allowances will be next . You must remember that the pensioner faces inflation, every year living costs go up by about 3.5% and this compounds and apart for some small increase in the state pension the pensioners income remains basically static while the general population get pay rises to cover . Thus with perhaps 20 or more years ahead of him he faces his fixed income eventually becoming 40% of what he started with . The pensioner therefore has to budget carefully to make his money stretch which is why changing the game by fiscal snatchback is blatantly nasty.
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: August 08, 2019, 08:08:54 pm »

Nobody remembers anything!

In today's paper there was a young chap bemoaning the fact that he was unlikely to be able to afford to buy a place of his own unlike the forunate 'baby boomers'.

It was never easy for the average joe to buy a place of their own. Back in the 70s it was essential to have two incomes. One to pay the mortgage and one to cover living expenses. Unless you were a couple, you hadn't a hope. Nothing has really changed in that respect.

My Wife and I are OK now financially but for most of our married lives we were in debt and found it very difficult to make ends meet with bringing up a family. Most of our friends were in the same boat.

Some people today think we had it easy - we didn't.

Colin

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2019, 01:55:27 pm »

In today's news.

Figures obtained by The Times show that 889 BBC staff received pay increases equivalent to between 10 and 20 per cent of their salaries last year. An additional 256 employees were given more than 20 per cent.Across both groups the average rise was £6,980, costing licence fee payers an additional £7.9 million.
[/size][/color][/font]
Now, wonder how they intend funding that ?

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: August 15, 2019, 08:27:03 am »

Topic tidied up, and irrelevant posts removed, mine included.

Peter.

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: August 26, 2019, 07:29:37 pm »

Just to keep the pot boiling Bo Jo has told the Beeb that they must continue giving the old gits free TV Licences.
This has got legs !

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/culture/news/106093/boris-johnson-says-bbc-must-‘cough-’-and-continue-free-tv-licences-all

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: August 26, 2019, 10:24:25 pm »

Hi all, I echo Baldrick and Colin here, we gave up a lot of holidays to get our housing sorted out.  We both knew what we wanted and went for it.  None of the UK governments ever invested, just paid out money that was coming in, in taxation.

Like most of us we paid our taxes and so it does seem unfair that these days that large corporations can pay less tax into our UK economy than a single empleyee does.
As far as the TV license fee goes I think we all know we are being softened up for a general election, first threaten to take it away then give it back!  To me it is all out goings no matter who the recipient is.
With worldwide interest rates so low one can only look to spending no more than you have to.  With miniscule interest on savings, switching service suppliers and saving a few hundred can be the same as the interest you would earn on £20K.  (assuming you had £20K in the first pace)!

I remember my son in law challenged me on being the winner of an inflation cycle and said "What did you spend the money on"?  I said " On my childrens' education"!  Seems to have payed off handsomely.  He teaches finance at Birmingham Uni, so maybe appreciated my early and rare bout of wisdom.
It is tough out there at the moment and I do not envy any of the younger generations, it needs different thinking now and only they can do it.  I watch with interest!
regards Roy

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.