Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RC Advice  (Read 2183 times)

SJG001

• Full Mayhemer
RC Advice
« on: July 01, 2019, 08:55:59 pm »

Just found out the Futuba RC I have had sitting on the shelf for god knows how long is "pining for the fjords"

What the decent manufacturer nowadays ?

RST

Re: RC Advice
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2019, 09:56:17 pm »

What's wrong with futaba if it still works? I have 30 year old futaba and hitec gear and it works faultless and I guess it still will for a long time still.  In our location, how many other folk do you see using analogue gear, no worries about spare xtals for me LoL!  Otherwise you're spoilt for choice and personal recommendations everywhere on 2.4ghz stuff. Cheap as chips or spend more , takes your choice, I order my 2.4ghz stuff from Leeds modelshop when I'm away from home. Sports and model in dingwall have some equally good  2.4 GHz sets also. I'm still firmly 40mhz at home.

SJG001

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2019, 10:37:17 pm »

Was in past the Dingwall shop on Saturday - however only found out when I got home, but can safely say it's kaput (I think i still have an unused 27 mhz futaba set somewhere)

Completely out of touch with RC sets nowadays so looking for advice / suggestions

At the moment travelling round Scotland for work - seriously thankful that the Sport and Model shop is so good - not all model shops in Scotland are that friendly..

RST

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2019, 10:54:18 pm »

They're much as they were before but there's more choice. Allot seem to favour cheap imports. Takes your choice. Just be careful about aero derived radios and ratchet throttles on left stick. The advice is all out there.

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2019, 06:35:34 am »

most ratchet sticks can easily be converted, nothing hard about it, just need good eyesight and making sure the carpet monster doesn't eat bits!!!
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2019, 01:31:14 pm »

There's a wealth of 'good' RC manufactured radios on the market if you avoid the 'toy' RC gear.

Ive a 10 quid (when bought) HobbyKing 6 channel 2.4Ghz Tx and Rx. The gymbals on the Tx are every bit as smooth as my far more expensive JR XG Tx.

Captain Flack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2019, 03:30:19 pm »

You will get a lot of advice based on what brand people use. {-) In the past I have used Futaba FF9, Sanwa, Futaba ZHP :-)) and then went to Spektrum where I remain,  having said that when my grandson decided that I was going to "help" him at RC banger Racing I bought two FrSky.  Cheap as chips and brilliant.  I would NOThowever buy Quanum, it was the biggest heap of Cr*p I ever tried to use. >>:-(
Buy what you can afford and whatever you feel comfortable with.  Get 2.4 though if you're going to buy new.
When I started in RC Helicopters I was advised to buy the best TX I could afford as you tend to stick with that.I have heard good reports about the Orange range, if you can live with the colour :}

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2019, 12:18:10 pm »

Hi Chaps
I have the Hobbyking Turnigy Ia6 and the Banggood Flysky I6, both the same unit.
Very good units and you can bind up the receivers to either.
Up to 30 models on each transmitter with different names and setups for each receiver(model).

Banggood have a self centre kit for the throttle channel(non self centre-ing) and coloured switch nuts, covers and coloured knobs.
So I have a blue, red and red/green transmitter.

You can also get a speed, voltage and temperature sensors to feed back to your transmitter from your model.

Canabus

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2019, 10:38:52 am »

New equivalent gear is really cheap and some of excellent quality, but I would first look at the battery connections, and try to figure out which one has gone to the great birdcage in the sky.  That, and squirting some switch cleaner into the switch.  Next on the list is the black wire between the battery and the board.  Thats assumng that it is the transmitter that has fallen off its perch.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

SJG001

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2019, 01:16:39 pm »

New equivalent gear is really cheap and some of excellent quality, but I would first look at the battery connections, and try to figure out which one has gone to the great birdcage in the sky.  That, and squirting some switch cleaner into the switch.  Next on the list is the black wire between the battery and the board.  Thats assumng that it is the transmitter that has fallen off its perch.

I did look if it was fixable and if I was to do a RCA I suspect that the infulenicng factors in the failure was gravity, acceleration and sudden rapid deceleration.....i.e. it got knocked of its perch

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2019, 07:51:46 pm »

Decelleration is bad for new radios as well. :((
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 21 queries.