Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Airbrushing  (Read 4585 times)

CJK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Growing old is mandatory - growing up is optional
Airbrushing
« on: July 03, 2019, 10:17:26 am »

It wont be too long before I need to paint my very first model, in this case a Italeri PT-109 kit converted to RC. Have decided to go the airbrush route so will be looking at a reasonably priced airbrush and compressor and tank kit - Bartsharp have something that looks OK and has a few positive reviews on Youtube - kit price £116.99 delivered. (links below if anyone would like to look and comment).

Something I found interesting on Youtube was a modeller using Silly Putty (Noisy Putty from Hobbycraft) for masking - it was made to look really easy, especially tight curves and transitions from horizontal to vertical surfaces. Just wondered if anyone on here has done the same and if it was successful.

https://bartsharpairbrush.co.uk/product/bartsharp-airbrush-kit-186k-dual-action-gravity-feed/

https://bartsharpairbrush.co.uk/product/bartsharp-airbrush-compressor-tc80t/

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Airbrushing
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 12:32:18 pm »

There could be one problem with this method. Silly putty is a silicone putty, using it on paint will probably leave some of the silicone on the surface. This will then be impossible to repaint if needed and silicones are very difficult to clean off of the surface.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 01:07:48 pm »

Compressor looks ok but those brushes are absolute trash. You'd be much better off with one of the neo for Iwata brushes.

With regards to masking, for a soft edge use blu tack, it comes off well and any residue left behind is easily cleaned away

CJK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 02:00:06 pm »

There could be one problem with this method. Silly putty is a silicone putty, using it on paint will probably leave some of the silicone on the surface. This will then be impossible to repaint if needed and silicones are very difficult to clean off of the surface.
Jim
Good point Jim.  O0 I remember that if anyone used a silicone spraycan anywhere near our spraybooth we had paint adhesion problems for days after - in the end we had to ban its use. That being said the person using it in the video didn't seem to have any problems but it is unknown what happened with the finished product after the vid was finished.

Compressor looks ok but those brushes are absolute trash. You'd be much better off with one of the neo for Iwata brushes.

With regards to masking, for a soft edge use blu tack, it comes off well and any residue left behind is easily cleaned away
You say the airbrush is trash, could I ask what makes you say that please? Bartsharp used to market VEDA and I have read plenty that claims that later models of that make were not good. Bartsharp now have airbrushes made exclusively by a different manufacturer - just wondering if you are saying these are also trash.

gerritv

• Restoring G07 1:72 model
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 03:10:12 pm »

This is my GoTo site for reviews of airbrushes. He does a thorough job of actually using them to arrive at opinions: https://sites.google.com/site/donsairbrushtips/home. From personal experience nothing will frustrate more than a crappy airbush. The finer the work the more irritating they can be if not spraying straight etc.

gerrit

HMCS Athabaskan G07 1:72

RST

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2019, 06:12:55 pm »

Having ditched the Chinese brush allot of folk seemed to get on ok with I went for a neo by iwata. Had great reviews for the money.  For compressors I only have a cheap small expo tools one which does me fine. If you go for one with any size of tank I'd say it's essential it has a drain port. A moisture trap on the air line somewhere I'd say is essential also, be it at the brush or compressor and your kit seem to include it.

I'd echo concerns about silicone. Been there, done that (including waxoyl in spraybake booth -dooh! Not employee of the month!).  Wouldn't even use silicone sealant anywhere near anything to be painted.  The effects have a half life way longer than my patience would ever stretch to.  That said, I do use it for making moulds though.

You're better off using masking fluid than silly putty IMO.

CJK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 11:54:11 pm »

It would seem from the reviews I've read the Bartsharp compressor is generic to many that are sold under different names. It is actually very keenly priced and is being supplied by what seems a large company and with 12 months warranty - I don't think I need to look elsewhere.

The airbrush however, I'm not so sure of now.  {:-{ Several good reviews on Youtube - no bad ones. It interests me as it comes with 3 different sized cups and 2 sizes of needles and tips. Methinks I need to do more research.

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2019, 02:01:35 am »

Anything that comes with more accesories than any other good quality brush for under £100 is dubious at best, especially seeing as you can get a near identical brush at half that price from hobbyking  %)
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/pro-series-gravity-feed-airbrush-kit-with-double-action-trigger.html
I've had the cheap ones, they're cheap for a reason. The cheapest in my collection is a Sparmax brush and it's used for lacquer and nothing else.

CJK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2019, 04:59:43 pm »

Have spent best part of the day looking at youtube reviews on all sorts/makes of airbrushes, lots of opinions with predictable contradictions.  %) Anyway Stan gave me the name of a company not far along the coast from where I live and suggested giving them a call - which I did.  Thanks Stan. :-)) They couldn't have been more friendly and helpful, and were very willing to give a numpty like me the time of day.
They stock Iwata, Badger, Paasche and Sparmax so a reasonable choice. If I visit them they will advise and show me suitable brushes and allow me to try out the most suitable models - what a result.  :} So hopefull I'll be doing that next week.
Compressor is sorted - I'll be buying Bartsharp.

gerritv

• Restoring G07 1:72 model
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2019, 06:33:58 pm »

Wow , you are more fortunate than most over here with that level of personal service.

Congrats,
Gerrit
HMCS Athabaskan G07 1:72

CJK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2019, 10:48:51 pm »

Wow , you are more fortunate than most over here with that level of personal service.Gerrit
Believe me its pretty rare over here too.  :((

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2019, 12:00:33 am »

Anything that comes with more accesories than any other good quality brush for under £100 is dubious at best, especially seeing as you can get a near identical brush at half that price from hobbyking  %)
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/pro-series-gravity-feed-airbrush-kit-with-double-action-trigger.html
I've had the cheap ones, they're cheap for a reason. The cheapest in my collection is a Sparmax brush and it's used for lacquer and nothing else.
Have to say, if Id seen that AB you linked to when buying mine, Id have bought the HK one. In fact I might do because an Iawata is more than I can afford to pay.

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2019, 02:05:14 pm »

Have spent best part of the day looking at youtube reviews on all sorts/makes of airbrushes, lots of opinions with predictable contradictions.  %) Anyway Stan gave me the name of a company not far along the coast from where I live and suggested giving them a call - which I did.  Thanks Stan. :-)) They couldn't have been more friendly and helpful, and were very willing to give a numpty like me the time of day.
They stock Iwata, Badger, Paasche and Sparmax so a reasonable choice. If I visit them they will advise and show me suitable brushes and allow me to try out the most suitable models - what a result.  :} So hopefull I'll be doing that next week.
Compressor is sorted - I'll be buying Bartsharp.

Could you put up a link or the name of this company as I am just down the road from you, as I will be needing  one soon,

Thanks

Fred
That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.

CJK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2019, 10:01:22 pm »

Could you put up a link or the name of this company as I am just down the road from you, as I will be needing  one soon,

Thanks

Fred
Hi Fred,

http://www.airbrushes.com/

79 Marlborough Road (East)
Lancing Business Park
Lancing, West Sussex BN15 8UF
Tel: +44 (0)1903 767 800
email: sales@airbrushes.com
I'm going to call them early Monday morning for a possible visit sometime on Tuesday. This may be a bit too quick for them as they have staff on holiday next week - but its worth a try. Next opportunity for me would be Friday
Colin

RST

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2019, 10:31:57 pm »

Which iwata is too much? Hoses are cheap, traps and fittings are cheap. My iwata airbrush was not expensive at all. Only expensive as a second choice.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2019, 10:46:21 pm »

This is the daddy for what we want - its really expensive but the reviews are amazing

hp-th-hiline-airbrush.html

I don't think you would ever need a rattle can again but you could buy a lot of cans for the price of this one!!!!

RST

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2019, 11:37:55 pm »

It's not my daddy and I'll stick to rattle cans for specific purposes, thanks.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2019, 11:41:10 pm »

It's not my daddy and I'll stick to rattle cans for specific purposes, thanks.

I was being ironic - I guess you missed that

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2019, 12:04:10 am »

Which iwata is too much? Hoses are cheap, traps and fittings are cheap. My iwata airbrush was not expensive at all. Only expensive as a second choice.
It is all relative.
Spending over 60 quid on an Iawata Neo AB (the cheapest in the range I can find) that is only going to be used a couple of times is expensive imho. Yes, if you're going to be doing a lot of airbrushing and use it over many years then, 60+ quid is not a lot.

RST

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2019, 12:42:34 am »

It is all relative.
Spending over 60 quid on an Iawata Neo AB (the cheapest in the range I can find) that is only going to be used a couple of times is expensive imho. Yes, if you're going to be doing a lot of airbrushing and use it over many years then, 60+ quid is not a lot.

RST

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2019, 12:43:09 am »

It is all relative.
quote author=justboatonic link=topic=63274.msg669177#msg669177 date=1562367850]
It is all relative.

...and my collection of cheap ones I gave up on make my Iwata look cheap even after a week or month or so use!

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2019, 06:26:56 am »

Thanks CJK for the info, will look them up.

Fred
That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.

CJK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2019, 04:23:44 pm »

Went to The Airbrush Co today - what a nice company to deal with - friendly informative and knew airbrushing inside out. Came home with their recommended brush and mini filter. I settled with a trigger action type - found it far easier to use than the top button type. They also do Lifecolor paints that are a third cheaper than discounted Tamiya at my nearest store.

So I'm sorted. EXCEPT! no compressor to plug my brush into yet. Having had excellent advise from forum members already, can I please ask what people think of this-

https://www.jadlamracingmodels.com/badger-airbrushes-air-compressor-with-air-tank-for-badger-air-brush-ba1100/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkLyk042o4wIVwkPTCh1m0A7eEAQYAyABEgI2r_D_BwE

morley bill 1

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2019, 04:39:09 pm »

Hi Badger are a good brand name and the price looks fair been airbrushing 30 years and would be happy to buy this myself  Bill...

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2019, 06:42:57 pm »

Hi should be fine a branded name.

Stan. :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 23 queries.