Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Comparision of Tamiya XF19 and Vallejo 71.050  (Read 1757 times)

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
Comparision of Tamiya XF19 and Vallejo 71.050
« on: July 03, 2019, 02:47:04 pm »

Continuing the airbrush theme, I think Ive isolated my problem with poor AB results.
I now suspect the original AB has too fine a needle in it. I was given an older Badger type AB which I just tried and found despite thinning the Tamiya paint, it clogged the nozzle in this. I think this is also a problem in my other non brand AB as Im finding paint residue part way up the needle when I take it out for cleaning (after every use).
Im thinking for whatever reason the paint or thinner has simply gone 'off' despite being sealed.

It appears impossible to get 23ml jars of Tamiya XF19 in the UK for some reason. Instead, I can only find the 10ml size and I estimate 3, possibly 4 or 5 of these will be needed to respray the hull.
According to the colour match charts, Vallejo Model Air 71.050 light grey is supposed to be a match for Tamiya XF19. The advantage is Vallejo comes in 17ml dropper bottles meaning it works out cheaper than the Tamiya.
There's obviously going to be a slight difference in colour between the Tamiya and Vallejo but, does anyone know if the Vallejo is slightly darker than the Tamiya paint? Also, has anyone used both Vallejo and Tamiya acrylics, which one did you find better for coverage, finish and ease of use?
Thanks in anticipation.

madrob

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Comparision of Tamiya XF19 and Vallejo 71.050
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2019, 05:15:42 pm »

As a none expert, hes my two pence worth, in my cheapo airbrush, i can spray tamiya, mr hobby and ak paints fine, but vallejo forget it, with its own thiners or any other thinners, it sprays for two or three seconds then clogs up the tip, tried allsorts.
this is just my personal experience

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Comparision of Tamiya XF19 and Vallejo 71.050
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2019, 11:44:45 pm »

As a none expert, hes my two pence worth, in my cheapo airbrush, i can spray tamiya, mr hobby and ak paints fine, but vallejo forget it, with its own thiners or any other thinners, it sprays for two or three seconds then clogs up the tip, tried allsorts.
this is just my personal experience
LOL. Im having the same but with Tamiya.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 23 queries.