Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSLR set up Canon 800D  (Read 4394 times)

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
DSLR set up Canon 800D
« on: July 05, 2019, 08:54:40 am »

Hi guys, I am thinking of buying one of the above cameras.
The best price I have found is from a company called Nextday Cameras.
Has anyone dealt with them or know about them?

John

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: DSLR set up Canon 800D
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 10:10:10 am »

Not heard of them but if the price is exceptionally low then there will be a reason so you need to find some independent online reviews of the company. Usually a low price indicates that it is not a UK spec model so although you will get a warranty you might have problems in getting it honoured if you have a problem. Also check out the after sales service - it may be minimal.
Colin

john44

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 10:21:17 am »

Hi Colin, I have just been on the trust pilot reviews they give Nextday cameras a good rating.
Their prices are well below average and by all accounts they are not GREY products hence
This post to see if I can gain info from any of their customers.
How do you tell what is a UK spec model?

John

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
  • I spend far too much time on Model Boats Mayhem!
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 10:43:38 am »

Hi John,

I have not heard of Nextday cameras before. However i suggest you have a look at HDEW cameras, prices there are lower, and i have bought here without any problem.

https://www.hdewcameras.co.uk/

Charlie

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2019, 10:51:41 am »

You would have to ask them!

Otherwise the documentation that comes with the camera may give an indication.
https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/warranty-information/

This site gives some food for thought.
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/next-day-camera.693146/

Colin

Colin
Colin

john44

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2019, 11:11:04 am »

Thanks for the link Colin.
Re:- Nextday cameras reviews are conflicting some stating they are grey products so I will not
Be buying from them. I will stick to Currys, it will definitely cost me more money but they are
a safer option I hope. They are also local.

John

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2019, 11:35:12 am »

I have always bought  my Canon DSLRs and before that film SLRs from Jessops. Yes, you pay a bit more but you have the peace of mind. I see that Currys are undercutting Jessops by quite a lot plus there is the £65 cashback. Seems a reasonable price to me for such a well specified camera. I have had my 600D since 2011 and never had a problem with it.
Colin

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2019, 11:51:29 am »

It is interesting that NextDay Cameras state in their terms & conditions that they do not act as agents to any manufacturer in cash back promotions. This raises alarm bells in my mind although there might be perfectly good reasons.

Are you aware of this very good price comparison site?
https://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/

RST

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2019, 12:09:28 pm »

Have you considered second hand? I stopped buying new cameras 15 years ago. I'm lucky to have ffordes photography local to me. You can get superb gear for much less outlay. I haven't had any reliability issues, nothing I didn't cause anyway. I don't know what canon is like, but my d2x was still warrantied by Nikon up to something like 45,000 shutter actions.  Mine had only taken a few thousand, but was something like 10% the cost compared to when it was new. I don't recommend new these days because depreciation on cameras is so huge.

Re: prices. Watch out you compare kits with kits. Cheap prices often refer to body only.

john44

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2019, 01:56:54 pm »

Hi guys, thank you for reading and answering my post, as regards second hand, no only if I knew the person selling. I like the feel of the Canon camera and the lenses with stepper motors.
I already have a Canon power shot but would like to get back into SLR cameras.
As with Colin my suppliers used to be my hi street Jessops & Dixon shops just a mile
away. I started with a Zenith E then upgraded to a Yashica 35mm with lenses, filters etc.
Them were the days when you measured from the focal plane to the subject to work out the
Focal stop needed, and a hand held light meter.

John

furball

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2019, 04:49:05 pm »

I’ve use https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/ several times - mostly for 2nd hand. Last one I got from there was a Cannon 800D with a shutter count of 3.... i.e. brand new for about £200 off list price.

Lance

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2019, 08:52:01 am »

I have never yet bought a new camera since my zenit e 40 years ago, I currently have 3 canon dslr's 2 20d's and a 300d, the latter bought for £20 at a boot fair, ok it didnt work, but half an hour later and a new fuse on the power board later it was reliably taking pictures again, for the £20 paid the lens that came with it would have been worth it even if i hadnt been able to fix it.

john44

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2019, 01:08:13 pm »

Hi guys, well I took the plunge. Got a canon 800d at a very good price from Currys.
As for the Canon payback scheme they can stick it.
They want your title, first name, surname,full address post code, phone no. E mail address,
Full band account no. And sort code.
Too much info me thinks, I could be wrong but not worth the risk for me just for a few quid.

John

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2019, 09:43:26 pm »

If that's the cashback from Canon then there's no problem. I got hefty cashbacks on a flashgun and a lens and the money was credited to my bank account quicker than they said it would be.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2019, 10:11:07 pm »

Me too, a while back on my camera. No problems.

Colin

john44

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2019, 09:35:28 am »

Hi Chris,Colin, why do they want all the information they ask for to pay into a bank account
Surely bank account holders name, sort code and account no.should suffice.
Why do they need to know address, post code, phone no,s e.mail address etc.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2019, 10:26:42 am »

Customer information analysis like most companies. And you will probably need to give much of that info when you activate a guarantee.

Yes, it is a nuisance but when you think about it you give all those details away automatically when ordering online. You wouldn't get the item delivered otherwise.
Also, when ordering online, unless PayPal or a third party payment processing company is used you are giving whoever is processing your order at the other end your card number, expiry date and security number! We all do it.

Canon are a reputable company so probably no worse than anyone else.

You can look me up in the phone book but I'm not on social media where you sell your soul for nothing!
Colin

john44

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2019, 10:37:02 am »

Hi Colin, I to like you detest local media and would never be associated with one, apart from
Mayhem of course.

RST

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2019, 06:58:21 pm »

I look at it this way, the products with cashbacks are cleverly advertised.  The real value is closer to the cash-backed price, but it looks more attractive if an offer of some return is made.  It catches lots of people into supplying them with personal data for their marketing info if they offer it with a "cashback" which you have to enter your data for.  So for me, if I see £50 cashback I reckon they value your data at £50.  They will not miss the £50, but what they could potentilly do with the data en-mass is much greater.

I'm weary also "registering" products for guarantees.  Half the time you seem to be covered already under the terms of sale.

The experts in the media can't really make it much clearer -copanies value your data.  There is NO favours on your behalf, no matter how good it looks to you!  If somethings offered for "free" they get somethng else fro you.
I don't touch things with cashback unless the original full price is OK (e.g pretty much never).  However, it looks a nice camera so I hope you're happy with it.  I just picked up my Nikon D300s for about £1,000 less than the first person bought it for and I have the retailer warranty (limited time), and still the base Nikon warranty.  More spec than I ever will need, although it's not the lates model.

....Sorry, that's OT, enjoy the camera!  It's always nice to have new buttons to play with.  Don't have to wait for processing now so no excuse for trying every setting on a new toy.  No regrets!

Rich

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2019, 07:10:52 pm »

OK, so they have my name address and phone number - so what as far as I am concerned. It may help them identify their customer base/profile etc. but there has been no comeback fon me from Canon, they haven't phoned, they haven't written and as far as I know haven't emailed me (I always give my second string email address). And I'm £60 to the good.

I'm not a regular customer in the sense of the word so they have no influence over me.

Colin

john44

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2019, 09:35:30 am »

Hi rich, the shop I had my camera from had under priced it by £39. Under web price.
Their mistake so they let me have the camera at the stated price and do a discount
At the cash out so I got more than half the cash back offer anyway.
I also bought a 18 - 250 lens and a vanguard ultra pro tripod.
I had the lens and tripod from WEX photo and video. A very good company to deal with,
Highly recommended

John

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2019, 12:16:04 pm »

I look at it this way, the products with cashbacks are cleverly advertised.  The real value is closer to the cash-backed price, but it looks more attractive if an offer of some return is made.  It catches lots of people into supplying them with personal data for their marketing info if they offer it with a "cashback" which you have to enter your data for.  So for me, if I see £50 cashback I reckon they value your data at £50.  They will not miss the £50, but what they could potentilly do with the data en-mass is much greater.

I'm weary also "registering" products for guarantees.  Half the time you seem to be covered already under the terms of sale.

The experts in the media can't really make it much clearer -copanies value your data.  There is NO favours on your behalf, no matter how good it looks to you!  If somethings offered for "free" they get somethng else fro you.
I don't touch things with cashback unless the original full price is OK (e.g pretty much never).  However, it looks a nice camera so I hope you're happy with it.  I just picked up my Nikon D300s for about £1,000 less than the first person bought it for and I have the retailer warranty (limited time), and still the base Nikon warranty.  More spec than I ever will need, although it's not the lates model.

....Sorry, that's OT, enjoy the camera!  It's always nice to have new buttons to play with.  Don't have to wait for processing now so no excuse for trying every setting on a new toy.  No regrets!

Rich

Canon only usually do two decent cashbacks a year (Black Friday and Xmas/New Year) and you have to be quick to take advantage of the offers. Luckily a lens I was considering anyway had double cashback on it amounting to £600 over Xmas/New Year (and soon disappeared off their web-site) so I jumped at it. I got £100 back on the flashgun. I have no problem providing my data to Canon for this, as said they have it anyway for guarantees and they need your bank details for the payment. Other companies I would be more wary of though. Canon must really value my data to pay that much for it!!  :-)

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.