Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 26" version of the old Veron Police Launch, by SLEC  (Read 4584 times)

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
26" version of the old Veron Police Launch, by SLEC
« on: July 05, 2019, 02:30:39 pm »

Having been involved in more serious efforts of late, restoring some Edwardian vintage yachts, and before I start work on the restoration of an even earlier large local made gaff rigged Victorian Pond Yacht, with an interesting provenance, I decided to have a bit of a play and make a version of the classic Veron Police Launch [produced by SLEC.

I've already made their Sea Scout which was huge fun and runs beautifully, if a tad speedy ...  :embarrassed: ... but this one is also from my youth so seemed an appropriate project for a bit of fun. I've started on the basic structure, which goes together extremely well, using very nice quality materials that are CNC Laser & Router cut, giving a great fit and feel.

From here on in though I shall be varying from their recommended construction to give a slightly more 'realistic' look and make life easier in terms of running electrics around the boat as this will have working lights and searchlight. I also have got hold of some really nice mahogany veneers which will give the decks and cabin detail a much more authentic look, which I will augment with some mahogany and walnut detailing.

My first alteration though will be building a slightly raised removable floor and engine compartment, under which all the wiring will travel, complete with seat at the rear that will hold the battery, thus giving the cockpit area a look more like the original.

Anyway, I've made a start and the initial photos are below. This won't be a fast job but should be a lot of fun...   :-)

“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 26" version of the old Veron Police Launch, by SLEC
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 05:07:59 pm »

High artistmike, can we see the vintage yachts please?  Or are they on here already?
kind regards

Roy

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 05:45:55 pm »

This is one that I did a little while back, with sails made for me by Nylet, that I now have sailing regularly and I've done a couple for other people too :-

And as a result this one is the latest that I have some research to do on as far as sail plan and rig is concerned. It has been lying neglected in the loft of a house belonging to a local ship and boat building family for a good few generations, and one that I'd really like to get back into good order for them. It's a big hull, wide and voluminous and I suspect would have carried a good bit of sail. The bowsprit is broken at the position of the staysail and was probably twice as long when whole, but the hull itself is in very good condition indeed, though no mast or spars survive. Should be fun to do though...  :D
“We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw    :)

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 05:49:12 pm »

Thanks Mike
Roy

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 10:30:05 am »

The one thing about having time on your hands is that you can get work done on the boats!  ;) Progress on the Police Launch has carried on apace and most of the work of adding the mahogany overlays is now finished and now I shall be concentrating on varnishing, painting and the electrics. I suspect that a great deal more detail will be added to this as I shall just keep going till we are allowed to go sail again.  :-))

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2020, 06:07:42 am »

The hull has now been prepared and primed and I'm now going to set up the waterline and then wait for the weather to settle so that I can paint the hull outdoors

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2020, 02:17:44 pm »

Just about finished the police launch now and ready to pop over to Ilfracombe to give it a try out on the boating pond there, the engine installation seems fine working in the bath so hopefully it will be a success, it's been a fun little project..  :D

Nordlys

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2020, 08:05:34 pm »

What a lovely model to make and own Mike. It looks so good, I have the Aerokits equivalent model.
I'm intrigued with your order of finishing ie leaving the hull painting 'til last? Any particular reason?

Nord.

BeeJay UK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Norfolk 'n Good
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2020, 09:24:19 am »

This my 'modernised' version of the SLEC police launch. It is based on the later 1979 RDB's that the Met had. The basic hull form was the same but the deckhouse was a bit different, & far less varnished wood.
It may not be to everyones taste but I just fancied making something not quite the same as anyone elses.

It has now been on the water and it sails quite well but it needs a bit more rudder 'throw' as it has the turning circle of the QE2. Although the rudder is centred it still turns a bit tighter to starboard for some reason.

It was a fun build though, my first one for over 30 years and it kept me going during lockdown.

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2020, 09:26:32 am »

What a lovely model to make and own Mike. It looks so good, I have the Aerokits equivalent model.
I'm intrigued with your order of finishing ie leaving the hull painting 'til last? Any particular reason?
Nord.

Thanks Nord...  :-)    I decided in the early stages to do a bit of a re-design of the topsides and interior, as well as doing the work with the veneers and creating a false cabin floor, so that I was able to have total access to the electrics and control systems whenever I wanted, as you can see below.
As much of that involved a lot of cutting and gluing and generally fitting as I went, I decided to just leave the hull in primer while I did all that work, so that I didn't do any damage to the paintwork while I was working. When finished with all that and electrics fitted, it was then quite an easy job to remove all the topsides, turn the hull over and do all the painting at the end leaving ensuring the paintwork looked as decent as possible; well, for me anyway, hence the somewhat unorthodox build timeline....  :D

Artistmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • North Devon
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2020, 09:34:55 am »

This my 'modernised' version of the SLEC police launch. It is based on the later 1979 RDB's that the Met had. The basic hull form was the same but the deckhouse was a bit different, & far less varnished wood.
It was a fun build though, my first one for over 30 years and it kept me going during lockdown.
Nice one ! And great to see yet another version of this classic model from way back!  :-))   ... I've yet to hit the high seas with mine having just done initial trials in the bath but I shall let you know how it copes when I get on my local lake....    I suspect that Lockdown has been responsible for quite a bit of a resurgence in modelling so no doubt there will be a lot of new boats on the water..... :D

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2020, 12:37:47 pm »

It has now been on the water and it sails quite well but it needs a bit more rudder 'throw' as it has the turning circle of the QE2. Although the rudder is centred it still turns a bit tighter to starboard for some reason.
Check the linkage between the servo horn and rudder arm. When the servo is centered the linkage should be at 90 degrees to both the servo horn and rudder arm. If it is not then you will have built in differential movement, it will move further in one direction than the other.There could also be a effect from the rotating flow from the propellor on to the rudder, this may make the rudder more effective in one direction than the other.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

BeeJay UK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Norfolk 'n Good
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2020, 01:00:32 pm »

Check the linkage between the servo horn and rudder arm. When the servo is centered the linkage should be at 90 degrees to both the servo horn and rudder arm. If it is not then you will have built in differential movement, it will move further in one direction than the other.There could also be a effect from the rotating flow from the propellor on to the rudder, this may make the rudder more effective in one direction than the other.
Jim

I think it is the propwash affecting it as the rudder moves to the same 'angle' each way ashore and the angles of the linkage are fine but I do need to find a way to increase the rudder movement. Two options I guess, lengthen the servo arm or shorten the rudder arm but that will mess up the angles a bit. It's only got a mini servo with quite a short arm so that may well be something to look at.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2020, 01:11:18 pm »

Hi Beejay do the 9gram servos not come with servo tops of different arm lengths?
Roy

BeeJay UK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Norfolk 'n Good
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2020, 01:20:18 pm »

No, they (3 of them altogether) came out of the spares box. I bought a job lot of misc RC stuff when I was making a 1/6 scale airfield crash tender a few years back.

That didn't float though, but it did squirt foam quite a long way.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 22 queries.