Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Slowly getting there. One last problem...  (Read 1405 times)

Pragmatist

• Full Mayhemer
  • It's a nautical thing
Slowly getting there. One last problem...
« on: July 05, 2019, 05:02:43 pm »

so I have managed to calibrate one speed controller and finally managed to get a propellor spinning on one of the brushless motors but the other prop is not spinning. I’m guessing I need to calibrate the other speed controller but it runs off the same drive battery. Any ideas how to get my other prop spinning as I’m so close now and have learned a lot.

Matty

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
Re: Slowly getting there. One last problem...
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 05:59:44 pm »

Yes each speed controller needs to be programmed
The fact they’re using the same power source is not relevant

If a propeller is turning the wrong direction just swap two of the three wires over to reverse it
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 06:39:06 pm »

I assume only one of the speed controllers has the red wire connected to the receiver.

Pragmatist

• Full Mayhemer
  • It's a nautical thing
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 06:52:21 pm »

You’ll have to excuse the fact I am a novice on this and it’s a ready bought boat and quite complex what with sound modules and lights etc. I think each speed controller goes to the RX. Could tell you more but am at work right now. All I will say is that the port speed controller got the  the props turning after it’s impressive bleeps and calibration tones but the starboard speed controller just seems dead.

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2019, 10:36:16 pm »

Everyone one of us is happy to help you work through the problems one step at a time, we were all once in the same position as you are now. 

The radio receiver obtains it's power supply from the centre wire of the cable that connects the speed controller to the receiver.
However, receivers sometimes have problems if more than one speed controller is supplying power. The centre wire in the connecting cable of the second speed controller needs to be removed from the plug.
You can cut the wire, or slide it out of the connector by lifting the black tab on the plug with a pin.   Come back if you need more advice on this particular item.
If the starboard speed controller still has it's red wire in place, completely disconnect the port speed controller and then connect the battery to the starboard one and see if the receiver shows any lights.
If not then connect the port speed controller to the port motor and see what happens.
let us know what happens then and we can keep helping.

Pragmatist

• Full Mayhemer
  • It's a nautical thing
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2019, 10:45:00 pm »

That’s really helpful Kinmel and good to get more knowledge. Everything worked when the chap showed me but I of course wanted to use my Taranis and matching RX. I should have kept his receiver in and bought the Futaba TX he recommended and uses. Still it’s taught me more about the boat and I guess problems are a great way of learning things.

Pragmatist

• Full Mayhemer
  • It's a nautical thing
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2019, 10:47:44 pm »

Ps, gonna be in mid Wales for our regular fly fishing trips. We spend more time in Rhayader than we do back home  :-)

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2019, 09:45:01 am »

As a beginner as well. When using two ESC's how is the main battery connected to each? Do you use a "Y" connector of some sort?
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2019, 11:03:43 am »

As a beginner as well. When using two ESC's how is the main battery connected to each? Do you use a "Y" connector of some sort?
Make up a Y lead, or buy a ready made one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 21 queries.