Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: End of Planet use?  (Read 4368 times)

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
End of Planet use?
« on: July 06, 2019, 12:28:00 pm »

I have just had a Planet RM6 receiver fail on me at the lake. Part way through the sailing session it decides it no longer wants to bind with my Planet T5 transmitter. After much testing on the workbench it appears no longer bindable.  Eventually these things can happen.

The problem is that I have a Planet T5 that I use with almost all my boats.  All that was needed was a receiver for each as I would only sail one at a time.  I have finally run out of receivers and these are no longer made.

So, I have had to bite the bullet and buy one of the new Planet TS2+2 transmitters,  plus four of the new receivers.  I am going to have to start re-equipping my boats one by one as any Rx failure from now on will need the new planet system, Tx + Rx. Eventually I will need up to 8 RX's.

Sad.  End of an era.  For many years the good old T5 & T7 systems were almost ubiquitous lakeside.  Then a while back a major component on the motherboard went obsolete and the whole system was withdrawn.

The new replacement systems work well, but are not compatible with the original receivers.

The new Tx with 1 Rx is £39.00.  Extra Rx's at £15.19
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: End of Planet use?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 12:58:00 pm »

A number of people have that problem Bob.
My simple solution is to install the rx with velcro circles. Then you can transfer your rx from model to model.
As you have already bought a few spares you then have back up in case one fails.
Just be sure to use the same velcro for each model.

Regards,
Ray.

morley bill 1

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2019, 02:48:01 pm »

Hi got myself a spectrum DXe ok a little dearer than the planet but using banggood  DSMX recievers from china just ordered 2 this morning £6.50 each post included  Bill..

tsenecal

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2019, 09:41:23 pm »

based on the photos i have seen for the planet t5, you might try a flysky receiver.  99% of the chinese made store brand 2.4ghz radios are actually made by flysky.

you can find real flysky 6 channel receivers on ebay for a few pounds

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FS-R6B-FlySky-2-4Ghz-6CH-AFHDS-Receiver-for-RC-Transmitters-i6-i10-T6-CT6B-TH9x/202561117509?hash=item2f29955d45:m:mJoqyGBbfwU02Ao5nhRDypw

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 05:14:56 pm »

Well, the new generation Planet transmitter arrived today - and I was shocked.
Despite the detailed photos online it turns out to be totally useless  <*<

It appeared to have the normal two stick operation and a couple of extra controls.
However :  The left stick only goes up and down.  The right stick only goes left and right.
Totally nuts  >>:-(

I have got used to having the throttle on the right, to avoid the aeroplane "fail safe" that leaves you dead on the water.   {:-{

The kit is emphatically useless for controlling model boats as I want.  £65 Quid down the drain.

It will be going on E-bay to get rid of it  <:(
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 06:13:24 pm »

Bob, I think the online specs are fairly clear about the configuration, I had a look at it myself for a new model and although I use the conventional LH throttle/ RH rudder setup I felt that for only a realtively bit more it would, be possible to have a choice of full 4 channel sets which give you more options. 2 channel just doesn't really seem value for money these days.

Colin

RST

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2019, 08:08:46 pm »

Can you swap gimbals over?  I used to do it years ago on other radios for experiments.  The planet spec seems to sate clearly "surface" and the pictures show the stick configurations, so I can't see it being "nuts"?  Can it be modded for something otherwise or is it all plasticky and pre-set inside?

...Some lateral thinking always usually required when you want something different.  You don't have to buy a higher spec if you don't need it.  I didn't spend the extra tenner for a computer set a few months ago.  The non-computer wasn't "good" value for money in comparison, but I'm quite glad I didn't for my needs.

Rich

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2019, 08:18:25 pm »

..............................................It will be going on E-bay to get rid of it  <:(

If you purchased it by mail order I believe that you have the right to send it all back in original condition & packaging within 14 days. It doesn't sound like you have used it so it should not be a problem. You do have the right to inspect the item so you can open the packaging. Sorry for the trader, as I think that the description is clear, but those are your legal rights which should be spelt out on the vendors website together with return instructions.

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2019, 10:20:05 pm »

My gripe is that the transmitter is designed to look like a twin stick four movement operation, like almost all others,  It is only when you get it out of the box you find that it is not.

It is FAKED to look like a real transmitter in the pictures,

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2019, 11:06:51 pm »

Copied from Howes website:
Key Features
  • Single-axis throttle (up/down) and steering (left/right) sticks
  • Proportional steering and throttle control with adjustable dual rates
  • Digital trims on steering and throttle channels
  • Servo reversing on steering and throttle controls
  • Auxiliary channel with rotary dial (CH4)
  • Auxiliary channel with 3-position switch (H3 )
  • 2.4GHz AFHSS Proteus radio protocol
  • Tx charge port for rechargeable batteries (not included)
What led you to think that it had two dual axis sticks, Bob? It's called a 2+2 after all. Nothing fake about the photos either.
DaveM

RST

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2019, 01:48:46 am »

It is FAKED to look like a real transmitter in the pictures,

...Whats a "real" transmitter by your definition please?  And how was it "FAKED"?

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2019, 07:31:59 am »

For "FAKED" read "STYLED"

Howes Returns Policy -
https://howesmodels.co.uk/returns/

overriden by the law. If you read the first page of this it covers exactly your problem on not receiving what you expected.
https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/i-want-to-return-something-bought-online

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2019, 08:39:07 am »

Unfortunately the web site had a much briefer description, with no mention of two key channels being inoperable.

The small online photo very much appeared to be the more usual two stick four movement arrangement that has become almost ubiquitous for such transmitters.

I am well miffed as what arrived is totally unsuitable for my requirement as a replacement for the Planet T5 & T7,
No one else at our club has got one, otherwise I might have been able to check it out in more detail.

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2019, 08:49:56 am »

I am well miffed as what arrived is totally unsuitable for my requirement as a replacement for the Planet T5 & T7,
No one else at our club has got one, otherwise I might have been able to check it out in more detail.
And you paid a hefty price for it, considering that Howes' price is 40% less. Good luck with obtaining a refund, Bob, and then you could get a computerised 7 channel set from the aforementioned Howes for £65. https://howesmodels.co.uk/product/volantex-exmitter-2-4-ghz-7-channel-radio-w-lcd-screen/The receivers are cheap, too.
DaveM

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2019, 10:49:28 am »

Just looked at a picture of one of the Planet TS2+2 from a google search.  The left stick has a vertical trim, but no horizontal one.  The right stick has a horizontal trim, but no vertical.  Knobs and switches towards the top of the case.  So, from the picture, two stich controlled channels, two others.
Most vendors just use stock photos, most also just copy and paste the makers information.  Not knowing the vendor in this case, it is difficult to say whether it was a wrong photo or reader error.
Computerised sets are only good if you can do poolside changes easily.  If they are self contained, fine.  If you need a PC to do any tweaks, less so.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2019, 10:56:04 am »

And you paid a hefty price for it, considering that Howes' price is 40% less. Good luck with obtaining a refund, Bob, and then you could get a computerised 7 channel set from the aforementioned Howes for £65. https://howesmodels.co.uk/product/volantex-exmitter-2-4-ghz-7-channel-radio-w-lcd-screen/The receivers are cheap, too.
DaveM

I think that the price paid included 4 receivers.

As it was an internet purchase it can be sent back.

A lesson for all of us to be as sure as possible of what we are buying.

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2019, 08:13:42 pm »

We are selling shed loads of these 2+2s. They are a very good marine set, if you consider it an upgrade from a 2 channel set. The extra functions include a 3 position, not 2 position switch,  for channel 3, very useful. Plus a proportional dial for the fourth channel.
Also both main throttle and rudder switches have dual rate functions. This is very handy with a sail winch on the up/down function for example.
Another improvement not mentioned in the text, is the lower hinge point on the tx aerial, a very serious weak point on the old Planet 5 and 7 sets, causing many failures. With this lower hinge point being protected by the handle, less chance of it being sheared off! I know this cos my current T5 has the aerial hanging off. My last one had a steel pin VERY carefully inserted through the pivot point, and I am about to remove the external aerial completely and re-insert it inside the set, for use with one of my RC tanks. Range not being such an issue.
Having spoken to J Perking, the importers, when these sets were first being spoken off, they were squarely aimed at surface modellers. So far being very popular amongst boaty types, RC crawler fans ( Muddy people one and all! ), plus the bigger gauge railway boys.
So, all in all a decent piece of kit aimed at us, not the flyers. That alone is something to applaud. Also, loads of room to rip out the standard electrical switches and chuck in bespoke stuff, but that's just me :}
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: End of Planet use? -Good News!
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2019, 08:59:24 pm »

I have a resolution to the Planet "replacement" problem.   :-))

As stated previously the "new" Planet is totally useless, having only two stick movements, and both in directions I cannot use.

The model shop I bought it from online, together with three extra receivers, have vey kindly agreed to refund me in full when the repackaged box returns to them.  Very nice of them, as essentially is was my fault for not looking at the photo more carefully (two trim tabs missing).

So I went down to my usual local model shop is discuss a suitable replacement, and look at it carefully.

The recommended replacement for the Planet T5 is the Radiolink T8FB, imported by J Perkins who used to import the Planet.  Same price at the sub-spec Plant, as are the receivers.  I also bought 3 Rx's, which are more compact than the "new" Planet.

Two full axis sticks, four movements.  8 channel

for full info:
https://uk.gearbest.com/radios-receiver/pp_009944748095.html?wid=1433363&currency=GBP&vip=14752948&gclid=Cj0KCQjwyLDpBRCxARIsAEENsrKJgTrEL-44IyK5aW1q6V1EQu9BY5I6vp0x1l9sq4nA4Ksa9FVxp8kaAvd6EALw_wcB

I shall first convert one of my boats and do a full practical evaluation.
More news later  O0

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2019, 09:08:57 pm »

Good of you to do that Bob, hope you have good results. Looking out for your updates  :-)

Regards,
Ray.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.