Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Customs import charges (HobbyKing)  (Read 3707 times)

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
Re: Customs charge
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2019, 11:34:46 am »

I believe DaveM meant less than £15 which will avoid charges.
Yes. Thanks, Andy - sorry about that. And no - I wasn't trying to drum up business for my old Government Dept employer - perish the thought!

I do recall once ordering some Mabuchi motors from the US when we ran ACTion. They came in three identical boxes i.e. same number of motors, same packaging, same weight and same value. I can't remember the exact figures but we were charged the wrong rate of VAT on one box and the wrong duty on another, while the third one seemed to by-pass the whole system and arrived free of all import charges and about a week before the other two! I imagine that somewhere a frazzled employee of the US Postal Service is still trying to trace it.

I've also had parcels with a lot more than £15-worth of goods in them which sailed through the UK border checks with no charges, and conversely I've been slammed for the full Monty on something which was less than a tenner. In my experience it's not worth complaining about. Sometimes you're the windshield and sometimes you're the bug......

DaveM
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.