Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Amati Riva Aquarama build log  (Read 20215 times)

Spiney

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Amati Riva Aquarama build log
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2019, 02:47:42 pm »

Much happier with the cockpit now I've put the mahogany trim on.

Spiney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2019, 02:50:13 pm »

Motors and shafts trial fitted, quite a squeeze getting them in.  One advantage of the layout with reduction gears is that it frees up the space under the rear bench seat where the motors would otherwise be.  If it doesn't upset the trim I might use that for the battery?

Spiney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2019, 02:54:40 pm »

Am thinking about installing nav lights and have ordered some LED's and a receiver based relay to switch them on/off via the radio.  The nav fitting supplied by Amati is now a solid metal affair so I've made a start on grinding away space for the LED's will finish the job when the LED's arrive.

Apologies for the naff photo's the small camera seems to struggle with macro stuff

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2019, 05:00:11 pm »

There is a bush of sorts at each end of the shaft tube already but again they are a very loose fitting kind of affair.  I had assumed that the whole caboodle relied on a fairly thick grease to stop the wet stuff?

That doesn't sound right, but without seeing it it's difficult to be certain.  The bushes in the tube should be a press fit so they are firmly in place (they should fit inside the tube and you shouldn't be able to remove them with your fingers), and should be a good fit around the shaft so that it can spin easily but with no sideways movement.  If the bushes are loose in the tube or the shaft can be moved sideways, then I think you will experience a big vibration when running as well as water ingress up the tube.  I guess all this stuff came with the kit?

Greg

Spiney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2019, 05:55:03 pm »

Thanks Greg,  it did all come as part of the kit and your feedback is really appreciated as this is my first boat build.  I have fired off an email to Amati regarding the rubber bits but not holding my breath for a reply as it's continental holiday time and their website didn't exactly encourage questions....  Maybe tomorrow I'll have a crack at macro photographing the prop end of the tube.....

Spiney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2019, 10:10:52 am »

Hi Greg (n anyone else who fancies chipping in) regarding keeping water out of the stern tube.  I did wonder if a little PTFE tape wound around the prop shaft before it goes into the tube would be a good idea?  However after sleeping on it that would not work, neither would any other idea that requires periodic maintenance because once installed, the propshaft, gearbox and motor will be in the boat for life.  It's a real struggle getting the assemble in and out as it is and once the stern tube is epoxied into the hull it will be completely impossible to remove.

Spiney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2019, 10:14:47 am »

This is what it looks like once removed.  There is an oiler to inject some kind of slippery stuff.  On the right hand side there's a nylon sleeve where the shaft exits the tube which is about as good a fit around the shaft as the other end, i.e. not great.

Spiney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2019, 10:22:10 am »

These pics show the business end of the tube and the last one shows the mysterious rubber piece that I've asked Amati to identify.  In the orientation shown it does slide over the shaft and over the tube but the gap between the shaft and rubber piece is no different that the gap between the shaft and the nylon tube end.

I don't want to overplay the fit of these parts, there's no gaping gap there but there is a discernible amount of play that water will have no problem breaching at all.

Spiney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2019, 10:23:39 am »

And lastly the instructions.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2019, 10:39:06 am »

I can't see anything on the instructions regarding the plastic / rubber pieces - were they there just to protect the ends of the tubes during transit?
(a bit like the ones you get on lengths of metal rods)

Regards,
Ray.

Spiney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2019, 11:08:43 am »

If they were then someone forgot to fit them, they came in a plastic bag......

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2019, 11:37:19 am »

Ahh, wasn't aware of that though  :-X

Regards,
Ray.

RST

« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2019, 02:59:40 pm »

That propshaft looks a bit crude for the money, considering it's a "high speed" application, it really ought to have something like the brass bushes at either end you see in the likes of the caldercraft fineline.  You get away with a tube and shaft on smaller things like plastic kit conversions and stand-off cheap models.

The only thing I could think of for the 2 rubber grommets was where your shaft slides down the slots in your bulkhead after the motor. It's almost conceivable they're "centralisers"? But I'm not seeing them in anyone elses pics on Google either.

Rich

Spiney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2019, 03:39:15 pm »

That's a really creative call Rich based on my pictures, unfortunately only one end of the rubber bit slides over the tube, the other end is a fit for the shaft.  So without surgery you can't slide it more that a few mm over the tube.

I'm becoming more and more convinced that they are in the pack for some other application or by accident.  If Amati do ever get back to me with an answer I will post it here though.....

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2019, 06:47:20 pm »

Could they be a seal for the rudder tubes and shafts?
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2019, 06:53:12 pm »

Just a thought - are they meant to isolate the motor from the motor mount to reduce noise?

RST

« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2019, 07:55:59 pm »

I also thought that, also if they're resilient mounts for the motor mount to the wood, but you'd expect 4. I also wondered if they were inserts for A or P brackets, but rubber on a fast rotating shaft no good. Also, post a pic of the rudder arrangement. They might be grommets for that.  Otherwise I might put them in that spares box, sneeze and lose them, or throw them over my shoulder and move on.  Now't like modelling to find out you disregarded that critical part that should have been fitted in a part you can't get to.  It's part of the fun, LoL.  We've all been there.

Rich

Spiney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2019, 03:49:49 pm »

Thanks everyone for your creative ideas, no word back yet from Amati....

In the meantime I've turned my thoughts to the nav lights and docking lamps because once I start planking I won't be able to run the wiring I need down the boat.  I'm not so great at the really small scale stuff these days, something to do with fat fingers and glasses I suppose.  Anyway I was determined to have a go and ordered some receiver controlled switches that I will connect to channels 5 and 6 on the radio and found some red, green and white nano leds that are unbelievably bright and should show up in daylight pretty well.  I can't actually see the leds they are so small and fortunately come pre wired with the resistors soldered in line with the cable.

So after quite a bit of grinding, drilling and filling here is the result....

Spiney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2019, 03:58:09 pm »

Not quite done yet as I have to fabricate some kind of clear plastic cover to wrap around the front which I'll nick from a drink bottle of some kind.  The wiring for all lights will emerge from the front cabin and terminate on a small pcb (veroboard) that will get fixed behind the dashboard.  This is the only way I could think to do the job without having the nav light wired in before finishing the rest of the boat which would certainly have been a recipe for disaster...

Spiney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2019, 01:32:32 pm »

Today has been a lot of work for little visible reward.  I've been trying to decide where all the electrics are going to live and making up a few plywood parts to support them.  After installing the fabricated pieces I've given the internals a decent coat of varnish to seal the wood that I won't be able to get to pretty soon.

Here's a question......

The instructions say that after trial fitting the motors, shafts and various other bits that they are then removed to be refitted after all the planking is finished at the end of the build.  However it's very clear that with the motor and gearbox arrangement that I have it is only possible to install the main parts before the planking goes on.  My question is therefore, how unusual is it to plank around the stern tubes rather than to plank first and then cut holes for the planking?

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2019, 05:22:21 pm »

Hi Spiney

I guess the choice is yours mate.  Planking around anything can be tricky but it is doable but takes patience and the results can be really nice.  However you could also cut the holes after planking but run the risk of either drilling incorrectly or splitting the wood.  But it could also go great without any issues.  The choice is yours and I'm sure that many replies would give you many different options.  Your build is lovely so good luck with what ever you chose and please keep the updates coming

Mark

Spiney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2019, 05:50:22 pm »

Thanks Mark, very kind.  Unfortunately the choice isn't mine.  Unless I'm missing something it's the only option I've got.  I just wanted the reassurance that this has been done before and that it is doable, which is exactly what you've given me.   :-))

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2019, 05:54:04 pm »

In that case if you have to plank around something make some templates out of cardboard to get the correct shape.  Its a lot cheaper than wasting expensive wood.  I sometimes have to make 3 or 4 templates until I get it right but its worth the effort.  Good luck!

Spiney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2019, 12:12:29 pm »

Today I'm still sorting out the electrics, almost done and I think I now have a home for everything.  Last major job was to complete a little Veroboard PCB to hold the radio switches for the lights.  Everything looked good till the last job which was connecting the the 4 core cable which I ran from the forward cabin down the boat only to find that it cannot be soldered.  Fair enough I suppose as it's telephone cable that is intended to have crimped connectors but I've never come across wire that can't be soldered.  Can't even tin it, Doh...

shadysadie

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2019, 09:59:39 am »

Six core wire as used in household burglar alarm systems can be soldered.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 22 queries.