Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rescue pole  (Read 2932 times)

Captain Flack

• Full Mayhemer
Rescue pole
« on: July 11, 2019, 10:36:32 am »

Looking for some ideas on how to retrieve a broken boat from the middle of our pond. ( we have access to several ponds) this is an ornamental pool that we use.  We need something that will reach about 30ft max.  We have a rescue launch, we have waders, and we've tried a telescopic pole, which keeps breaking.  It has been suggested that we try a set of screw together rods but someone said that they have no horizontal strength and would simply bend.Anyone have any other ideas?

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Rescue pole
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 10:42:58 am »

Put floats along its length? Bending may still be an issue, but in the horizontal plane instead.. but worth a shot.
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 10:44:54 am »

A long rope with some floats on it if you have access all around the pond - stretch from side to side and walk it to the edge.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 11:37:29 am »

You can get a 30 foot x 12 pc set of drain rods from Screwfix for about 25 quid.  If these don't float already (some do, some don't ) add rings of insulation foam.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 12:36:35 pm »

Different method I have heard of. Get a stout fishing rod (maybe a short sea boat rod), reel and strong line. Tie a tennis ball to the end of the line. Cast the line over the boat, which may take a few goes. Then slowly retrieve.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 01:07:35 pm »

klz

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 01:46:20 pm »

We use a fly fishing floating line with a couple of floats on it, like the link below it recuses nearly all our break downs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxA2r_tsgR4

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2019, 03:21:23 pm »

Build a Springer  :-)) :-)) :-))
Will push most sizes of craft
and with a long line with a float
on the end and a circle of the
casualty, a tow in. My Springer
averages a rescue each visit to
the lake.
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2019, 04:49:44 pm »

We have two regular members who have telescopic perch poles with a couple of feet of cord with a hook on the end,  Light weight, very long and very strong.

Beyond twenty feet you need a Springer Tug,  We usually have a couple on duty to recover breakdowns.
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2019, 07:48:36 pm »

Going to be struggling to get any pole to stretch 30 foot. Ive got a telescopic pole that's about 18 feet for cleaning my soffits and fascias. It's lightweight aluminium tube and exercising control of the end is hard enough never mind something almost twice as long needed for rescuing a delicate model.
Id suggest either swimming (seriously!) or another model to push the stricken boat closer to the bank as using a pole will imho, either cause more damage to the model or sink it.

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2019, 08:34:45 pm »

A PVC rescue frame can also be an option.

Andyn

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2019, 01:50:02 am »

Tennis ball on a fishing rod is the tried and tested method, once you've practiced a little it's very easy. Easiest method to attach tennis ball is in an onion bag

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2019, 06:56:22 am »

We use a fly fishing floating line with a couple of floats on it, like the link below it recuses nearly all our break downs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxA2r_tsgR4

That's is my proffered method too.   :-))

Also Fishing line is good option .... reminds me of catching my Surfer girl rescue ....

https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,20082.msg193864.html#msg193864

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2019, 11:36:12 am »

Flinging a misslie on a line can work, but ensuring it goes over or past the boat rather than onto it can be problematical.
A 30 foot fishing pole has its own hazards for everybody in the vicinity, but is entetaining to watch from a distance.  Any extending rod through the air is a cantilever, and getting one strong enough to support its own weight and be light enough for one person to handle is not easy.
Floating rods sound good-ish.  Might be best for close-in weed strandings.
A boat towing a line, preferably floating, to circle the strandee, then manually pull both in, works.
Provided there are no other obstructions, the walked line works well.

"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2019, 01:27:54 pm »

Flinging a misslie on a line can work, but ensuring it goes over or past the boat rather than onto it can be problematical.

Or into it as once happened to someone I know  :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:  with a spark plug on the end of some string..Got it back though !!

Captain Flack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2019, 03:06:04 pm »

Our stranded boats tend to be stuck on an ornamental statue right in the middle of the pond, hence the need for a pole that we can use to either pull or push with.  Throwing some thing or passing a line around it using another boat, or using a rescue boat won't work.
The last time one boat got stuck, then the rescue boat got stuck and then the rescue, rescue boat got stuck.  All highly amusing but a pain in the a**.A floating pole or a bouy attached near the end might allow sufficient length to reach the stranded boats.  I see after a troll through the internet that Argos do a set of screw together rods at £15.00, might try that route.

Buccaneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2019, 08:53:13 pm »

Assuming you can see the ornamental statue can you not just avoid it, or does it jump out in front of you?
John

RST

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2019, 09:21:42 pm »

Hi John,

Might be this a case where you know exactly the problem, and have had some perfectly good suggestions, but because the exact scenario for you isn't known, they might not work in your circumstance?

Can you share any pictures, or even an address for the pond if not?  It might even be visible on google?  It might help allot, otherwise I think people will struggle to nail it for you unless they visit?

...Otherwise if it were me I might explore the drain rod idea.  I never heard of a floating set though, we used to use them allot with commercial divers.  But not rocket science to gaffer tape some old plastic drinks bottles / milk bottles or scrap polystyrene on each rod to keep it floating?  Might be "bob-on" for a long "poking" stick that collapses to 3' lengths. (sorry for the pun!).

Rich

Rich

SJG001

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2019, 10:35:13 pm »

30 ft drain rod can be used to push an item clear or recover something from a loch  - but there is a great deal of flex on them and they are designed to push and break up blockages so you would probably risk damaging either the boat or the statue.

Its a bit like trying to thread a needle with your feet.

There are light rods used by sparkies to pull cables - It is not as heavy as the drain rods and it still flexes, but would not pose the same risk as they tend to bend when they hit a solid object.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2019, 02:18:10 am »

If the pond is very small it may be shallow.  In that case, taking in to account the other things you mentioned, a pair of waders may be appropriate.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Captain Flack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2019, 07:26:17 am »

Thank you all for your ideas.  The electrical "fishing" rods is probably the best idea.   No the statue does not jump out in front of us, our pilots seem to have an affinity in hitting it.  We do have a problem with it when we do "straight running", then it does "jump out in front of us".

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2019, 08:01:16 am »

Assuming you can see the ornamental statue can you not just avoid it, or does it jump out in front of you?
John

We have a fountain in our lake, easy to avoid when
powered, but all broken down boats seem to be attracted to it %)
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.