Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital Cameras  (Read 2913 times)

Bryan Young

• Full Mayhemer
Digital Cameras
« on: September 29, 2007, 07:22:30 pm »

I have noticed that my digital camera seems to be losing a little sharpness and clarity recently. (A Canon S50). If you can spare the time to troll back through my earlier pics it seems evident to me that a degree of sharpness has been lost. Do digital cameras suffer from a form of electronic degradation? The camera, although well used, is only about 4 years old. I appreciate that battery power can affect a picture. My "film" Pentax lasted for many years without a hitch. Is this a "built-in" problem with Digital cameras? BY.
Notes from a simple seaman

PSSHIPS

Re: Digital Cameras
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 07:25:38 pm »

Make sure you have got a clean lens. if not, they can loose pixel definition or however it is spelt over time. So I have heard anyway. :P

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 07:33:18 pm »

bri, my little slim thingie used to have clear shots then they went slightly fuzzy, I used baby-wipes for the lens, seems to have cleared it up
Go Nuclear!  you'll love it

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 07:33:49 pm »

Could be moisture inside. Check this out: http://www.fixya.com/support/t141894-powershot_focus_problem

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 07:39:27 pm »

As far as the camera industry is concerned I suspect that 4 years is regarded as quite old.  :(  When my daughter rang the manufacturer of my last camera, which was just about 2 years old, to enquire about an additional lens she was told that they didn't support a camera 'that old'.  :o

I have since upgrade my camera, but my son has the old one which still works perfectly.

I believe they call it built in obsolesence - bit like me really  ;D

Doug
Don't Assume Check

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 07:53:08 pm »

I am not aware of any form of degredation that can affect a digital camera over time unless, as has already been mentioned, there is a cleaning issue.

An S50 should only be affected by dirt/moisture etc on the outside of the lens so a good inspection and a good clean may well be the order of the day.  I use computer screen wipes for a lot of cleaning purposes but warm soapy water on a well wrung out cloth will be just as effective.  Another good cleaning tip is to use one of the micro-fibre cloths.  They are very efective.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

swordfish fairey

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007, 09:50:07 pm »

Hi, check if you have a low pass filter, this prevents dust and dirt gtting onto your camera's picture element and causing fuzzyness and distortion. There may be a way your camera will self clean the element. I have a Nikon D-80 and it will self clean up to a point..Just a word of warning..DO NOT manually clean the element, you WILL damage it, take it to a Canon agent and get them to clean it, It should not cost the earth. I have come across a few digital cameras with this loss of sharpness and it is invariably down to the picture element being dusty....Hope this is some use O0 O0.....Smudge

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2007, 12:55:33 am »

Hi, check if you have a low pass filter, this prevents dust and dirt gtting onto your camera's picture element and causing fuzzyness and distortion. There may be a way your camera will self clean the element. I have a Nikon D-80 and it will self clean up to a point..Just a word of warning..DO NOT manually clean the element, you WILL damage it, take it to a Canon agent and get them to clean it, It should not cost the earth. I have come across a few digital cameras with this loss of sharpness and it is invariably down to the picture element being dusty....Hope this is some use O0 O0.....Smudge

The Canon S50 is a compact, you can't gain access to the camera or the sensor so if somehow that has become dirty then it will have to be sent away.  I don't think any camera of this type has a self cleaning capability bit I suspect the lens may be worth looking at.
"Dirty British coaster with a salt-caked smoke stack, Butting through the Channel in the mad March days"

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2007, 12:58:34 am »

as these compacts are usually sealed, save for the battery compartment, a screen wipe or baby wipe, (same thing only cheaper from tesco), will do the job, thats ALL my camera had

HS93 (RIP)

• Full Mayhemer
  • I cannot spell , tough
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2007, 01:18:21 am »

Problem with some baby wipes is that they have lanolin on them ,or some type of moisturiser same as a lot of tissues so your nose is not rubbed on a course tissues as they are becoming,  normal tissues will scratch as well ( even good ones) you need to get a lint free cloth designed for lenses and cleaning fluid that will not take coating of.

Peter

RickF

• Full Mayhemer
  • Black, white and buff - not grey!
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2007, 09:44:40 am »

Not strictly related only to digital cameras, but for many years I have always fitted mine (SLR, digital and video) with a "neutral" UV filter from new. This protects the lens, is easy to clean and, in the event of damage, cheap to replace.

Rick

Ghost in the shell

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2007, 12:20:21 pm »

always a good idea, a 20p v £200 lens, no contest!

swordfish fairey

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2007, 04:44:03 pm »

When was the last time you bought a filter....20p??   But I agree with your principle, better to save a valuable lens for the sake of a few quid.....Smudge

Bunkerbarge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2007, 05:27:27 pm »

The S50 is a compact camera, you can't fit a filter to it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.118 seconds with 22 queries.