Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Revell London Bus Kit  (Read 19431 times)

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
Revell London Bus Kit
« on: July 16, 2019, 12:25:58 pm »

Just filling in time. So I after falling over it for a few years decided to have a go at building the kit. Contains 390 parts including a choice of engines, Scania or Leyland. I always thought it was  AEC that built the engines for the London Routemasters.

I have been following George's full build on YouTube to help find all the problems and there are a few. Also he used Superglue to built his model so I started to use superglue. But after speaking to one of the chaps at Wonderland Model, Edinburgh. I was advised to use the correct type of glue Tamiya Cement. So I switched to the cement and redid the parts that were super glued. I think the model would have fell apart in the years to come if I hadn't

Right I'll get the pictures organised and the build info

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Revell London Bus Kit
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 12:38:56 pm »

As far as I know the original fitment was either AEC or Leyland. Leyland took over AEC in the early 1960's which was, I think, about in the middle of Routemaster production so a change of engine fitment sounds quite possible.

I understand that a number of different engines were retrofitted so I guess a Scania was possible.

I wonder if they got the right model of Leyland and Scania for the kit or used what was already tooled.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 12:59:07 pm »

Tug Fanatic
You got 2 engines choices  in the kit I went for the Leyland just sounded right for that era

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2019, 10:23:59 am »

OK. here we go a short an sweet build

Six pictures first two are parts in the kit and next four are the build on the Leyland engine.

The seventh picture is the engine fitted in model. As I didn't think of putting the build on Mayhem I wasn't doing many build pictures

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2019, 11:42:09 am »

The Scania engine built from the instructions and a part build Leyland engine with the last two pictures fully built and started painting it.

Seems to be more instructions for the Scania engine than the Leyland.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2019, 12:18:19 pm »

I switched to Revell Aqua paints to give it a go. Made for the brush and airbrush the latter I had to give up as the acrylic thinners were going for me. So it was back to rattle cans which I find more convent. So half the model airbrushed and half rattle can painted. I had just bought a new compressor airbrush kit.. ouch I also bought the these new type paint brushes but to me I prefer sable also had one of pony hair brush and it was good one

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2019, 09:04:43 am »

Part 10 you'll need part C 17 from the kit the floor pan and the drive shaft, air tank,front wheel hubs and steering arm. All these parts are glued into position except the steering arm if you want the front wheels to turn.I removed the hubs so I could paint the wheel arches and other places. Later replaced them and as per instructions with a hot screwdriver pressed down on parts B 22 and B 23 to create a knurl to hold the steering arm C 24 on.

Part 11 parts B 25 front part chassis B 18 rear diff, rear drivshaft, B 21 exhaust glued into position

Image 2562 this is where I redone the kit using Tamiya Cement rather than superglue, also painted the diesel tank black. clamps used to get a good join. Repainted silver acrylic except the rear platform. Items in background being painted'

Hopefully its right so far As  didn't intend to put this little build up on Mayhem. Do correct me If I am wrong in this build as I haven't built a plastic kit for 60 years.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2019, 09:15:07 am »

There's a lot more to this model than I thought and I guess it is a welcome distraction from the boats - I might be tempted to try something similar when I finish my current model.

Regards,
Ray.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2019, 12:02:52 pm »

H Ray
Yes its different as the parts are already made.
cheers
Martin

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2019, 05:13:15 pm »

Last posting image 2562 on section 12 these parts are to be glued after the paint dried.

Just for them that don't do plastic kits there is  a lot of info in the pictures. The part is numbered in a circle and the spru it is on has a letter next to it and the colour is inside a flag type icon and you need to refer to the colour chart with the kit. At the top of the picture is the stage number next to it is what is required at that time of build ie glue,decal or optional.

Part 13 is the mud flaps to be glued parts J 35, 36 and I 34 2 off  and F in the  flag is black. The question mark means optional.

Stage 14, 15. Is the Leyland and Scania engine fitting. There is not much difference The Leyland exhaust goes straight into the floor pan. The Scania has a pipe to be connected between engine and floor pan Q 276. E = steel metallic The radiator and inside engine panel glued into position K 39 and B 38 both engines compartments

Signing off foe a few days

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2019, 08:14:23 pm »

Stage 16, 17 the wheels. are on sprue  I x 2 off Went together good and tyres are rubber not plastic as I thought.These were sprayed with the airbrush to keep their details. Colour was purple red with a little clear gloss added.

Stage 18 find the lower floor part on D 48 offered it as a dry fit to floor pan, fit o.k. Will return to this stage for spraying up.

Stage 19 fitted wheels and put this assembly to the side.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2019, 08:23:49 pm »

The more I see of this one, the more I like it, and I think you've got the wheel colour correct, though I'm no expert.

Regards,
Ray.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2019, 09:58:51 am »

Ray

Wheel colour is right I try and stick to the colour instructions. I did deviate from a colour change later on I'll  point it out 

Regards
Seaspray

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2019, 12:31:49 pm »

Isn't it easier to paint the chassis components as you go along?

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2019, 08:32:42 pm »

Tug
Pic 2560 shows the two chassis parts. Shows rear chassis is not sprayed underneath part which glues to the pan. The front chassis shows its sprayed side and top underneath is not, where it glues to the chassis. These were reinforced with Tamiya Cement as I didn't want these joins with super glue, hence the claps on at a later stage. The whole underside was repainted including the tank

Pic 2562 Shows parts painted as I went along ( in the background on pegs)

Pic 2573 wheels were assembled then sprayed before fitted to tyre

Many parts were painted on the sprue (see attachments) As I was using that colour and they were that colour. It a personal choice and its all for fun.

tr7v8

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2019, 10:21:18 pm »

I believe that although they were originally AEC engined, the later Leyland built ones had Leyland engine. However these didn't comply with emission laws in some places so they were re-engined with Scania lumps.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AEC_Routemaster
Jim

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2019, 08:13:26 am »

trv7v8

Yes that  is the story I heard to. There is a MK 1 or MK  2 versions in the kit  I think MK 2 is after 1992 hence the Scania engine option.

cheers
Seaspray

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2019, 05:45:07 pm »

Cool! What scale is this?
I collected dinky and corgi buses upto about age 16 and bought some more a few years back. Mainly AEC Routemasters but also Leyland Atlanteans and AEC Merlins. Was going to leave them to my lads when Im pushing up daisies but they dont want them so will be looking to sell in a few years time, no doubt to fund a new boat or heli!

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2019, 07:47:06 pm »

justboatonic

The model is 1/24 scale and size is 38.1 x 10.8 x 17.8 cm. 599 g in weight. The kit also has a very big decal set and if you screw it up they are available as replacements for £12  including postage.

cheers

Seaspray

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2019, 10:03:17 am »

Returning to stage 18 but before we continue did I say that all the plastic parts are sprayed with Halfords Plastic Primer. A very thin coat is all that is used and is compatible with Revell Aqua and Halford's rattle cans.

Stage 18 The lower floor D 48 sits on the floor  pan and do a dry fit first.There is a choice of colours to choose from. Hence the colours with a ? which means options. When the time comes after painting it, glue it well and lightly clamp it. I originally chose light tanish brown for the walkway. Looked at it  and decided to go for option N gray although this was marked up as outer floor colour where seats are I also did the rear platform gray. (modeller's licence ) The outer floor section and both decks, 4 side panels were painted purple red with a strip of silver paint along the top edge and also the heater flood ducts

Pictures are 1,2 and 3 are masking up and sprayed pic 3 is having the walkway hand painted in. pic 4 upper deck sprayed and pic 5 dry fitting rear seat as this needed a little sanding before painted

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2019, 08:24:41 am »

Hi
I am just going off line with this as I think it just my be of some interest, a very good late friend of mine from Glasgow said the the buses in Glasgow at one time had a coloured line around the dividing line between the bottom deck and the top deck, he said that this was so the any one that could not read could still use the buses, as all the routs were colour coded, all they had to do then was look for the bus with the correct coloured line for there rout to get home or to work.

I do not know if there is any truth in this or not.

Fred 
That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2019, 08:35:40 am »

Hi
I am just going off line with this as I think it just my be of some interest, a very good late friend of mine from Glasgow said the the buses in Glasgow at one time had a coloured line around the dividing line between the bottom deck and the top deck, he said that this was so the any one that could not read could still use the buses, as all the routs were colour coded, all they had to do then was look for the bus with the correct coloured line for there rout to get home or to work.

I do not know if there is any truth in this or not.

Fred

They now paint the whole bus different colours around here depending on the route & advertise them as "the pink line" etc. It works fine until a bus has a problem and has to be replaced...................... I don't think they have spare route coloured buses.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2019, 09:21:15 am »

The double deckers belonging to Western SMT in Ayrshire and Central SMT Glasgow and north wards always had a yellow ( cream )strip round them just like some Routemasters. They were always mostly red till the single decker came along with more yellow (cream) in the lower side panels. Never heard of the colour code for non readers. Single deckers in Guelph Ont. in the sixties they used red and yellow ( cream) seemed a common colour scheme

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2019, 02:03:58 pm »

I haven't any photos of the build on stages 20 to 26 so I've put up the assembly instructions

Stage 20 cab parts window, seat, electric box and  back wall  decal no 6 on seat couldn't get it to fit so painted it black
Stage 21 the dash instrument panel with No 5 decal on speedo gauge Note indicator switch K 61
Stage 22 cab floor a little fire extinguisher with decal No No 3 fitted actually had writing on it.
Stage 23 steering wheel and it's parts
Stage 24 cab n/s wall part A.  roof part B o/s wall part C and part D front. Decal No 66 Part A. and decal No 4 part B
Stage 25 steering wheel, dash and  hand brake  assemblies.
Stage 26  Cab walls assembly  this was tricky so out came the clamps for the first and many times

I'll return to stage 27

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2019, 06:37:07 pm »

Stage 27 photo is above this post. This is the section between the driver's cab and engine housing L 20 you'll see a hole is to be bored for the Scania engine piping
Stage 28  this is sprayed ( back to rattle cans) red on the top half and silver on the bottom. Piping K 71 glued into position after paint has dried . A line of red paint denoting the two cab windows onto N 274. Then glued into place.
Stage 29 This is now glued onto cab side.
Stage 30  This part K 72 has to be drilled to suit the engine of your choice. Leyland was mine so it 3 holes drilled.Window frame painted black.
Stage 31 Parts to fit for the Leyland engine but before this part sprayed Peugeot cherry red. When dry parts A 73 A 74 piping  spray silver and glued in place. M 123 side light lens M 54 window glued  in place. I use Revell Contacta  Clear for all the widows and lens.
Stage 32 Scania engine similar colour scheme difference is parts Q 268 and Q 267 piping Again cheery red and on both Scania and Leyland along bottom of window painted silver .

Pictures of finished part just window and lens to fit. The red paint blotch on stage 32 pic is a colour test and silver on the red can be removed with a tooth pick
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.125 seconds with 22 queries.