Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Revell London Bus Kit  (Read 19432 times)

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is the best model boat site
Re: Revell London Bus Kit
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2019, 11:27:31 am »

Firstly I did a dry fit of the cab, panel and 1/4 roof part. It was a reasonable fit.
Stage 33 J 76 the bulkhead between the cab/ engine and passenger area. Rails  G 78, decal No 8 glass panel N 77 over information fitted.
Stage 34 Part K 72 from stage 31 glued on to part J 76 stage 33
Stage 35 Cab glued to part J 76
Stage 36 Part from stage 35 glued to chassis. I did a semi dry fit here as I heard one or two things about this part fitting correctly. Just tacked it to to chassis and put a weight on it and slide into position.
Gently removed cab and panel to fit the passenger floor in stage 18 which I will return to.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2019, 12:51:15 pm »

Now that the cab / bulkhead is right we'll return to fitting the lower passenger floor

Stage 18 floor was sprayed sometime ago and is offered into position. Looks good so it was glued into position using clamps just a gentle pressure on the parts not to distort it. Leave to set for a day or two.

Stage 37 - 38 The engines firstly the Leyland had part A 79 cut to size and fitted  to pipe on side of cab wall and water pump. The Scania parts Q 270 and Q 269 which the latter requires filing a 1 mm off and this  part should be glued into top of rocker box and water pump. I used super glue on the Leyland parts as I didn't want to ruin the paint work .

Now here we go. Stages 39 - 42 the seats. You'll  notice in the pictures there is left and right hand seats. Notice which side their legs are fitted on thats a clue. Some have upright hand rails (H 83, H 86) arrowed. Also careful about using the correct numbered seat on the right floor and place. A difference in their lower frame part which mates with the side passenger wall supports. Stage 39  H 83 and stage 40 H 82 / G 82 are similar. in red . Where as stage 41 H 85 / G 85 stage 42 H 86 are different in green. The last picture is the lower deck left and right seats laid out

Hope I've got this right

I'll skip a few stages to let you see pictures the places the seat are fitted on both decks

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2019, 02:49:02 pm »

Previously you seen the frames description
Going back to stages 39- 40 the seat parts are I 80 and  stages 41- 42 seats parts I 84  making a total of 32 complete seats. The legs  part is L 81. I seem to have an extra seat in last picture prior to getting it's decal fitted. You have to jump to stage 46 to get info on the decal numbers. Will be in next reply. From the little experience I have of plastic kits it seems to be the done thing.

There are 2 sprees off G,H, and I

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2019, 02:58:39 pm »

That last photo helps to visualise the actual seats - makes it a lot easier to understand what is shown on the plan page.
Thanks for the update  :-))

Regards,
Ray.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2019, 09:02:23 pm »

Ray
No problem can't beat a picture
cheers  :-))

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2019, 06:25:16 pm »

The seats were primed with plastic primer ( rattle can ) then sprayed with the airbrush. I had to use the airbrush to get the right colour as it was two colours mixed code M = fiery red   purple red. they looked good. Then the decals were cutout and placed in their groups. and put on the correct seat.

Stage 46 shows the layout of the seats and the o/s side wall of the lower passenger compartment to be fitted. It also lets you know the number of the decal on the seats and where they get glued to the wall and floor. The stage 41 ans 42 big bold numbers pointing to the seat's stage where they were built.  As I said there is a slight difference of the fitting underneath which is compatible to their wall mounting.
Stage 47 still on the lower deck the n/s wall is glued into position and the seats from stage 39 40 plus the two rear benches over the wheel arches  fitted parts K 89 K 90 Clamp time again.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2019, 06:42:00 pm »

I've never really been into plastic models.......but between you and kpnuts I think I'm being converted.  That looks so nice and very realistic too.  That's a lovely job you're doing  :-))

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2019, 06:04:57 am »

Mark T
Its not my thing but it needed built and was a something to do between my boat builds Do have a go, a simple kit to start with. Loads of manufactures and kits out there to choose from. To me the downside is that they're static but with a little ingenuity they could become radio controlled

Cheers  :-))

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2019, 07:39:33 pm »

Returning to stage 47 all the seats and n/s side wall glued in position and part E 96 and at stage 46 E 97 fitted  behind rear benches . This supports the roof and partitions between passenger area and on /off platform.

Stages 43,44, and 45  assembled glass window and decals fitted where required. Stage 45 I went for the fire extinguisher J 104 /J 105 than the little door J 103 it looked better.

Stage 50, 51, 52 shows where the parts from stages 43, 44 and 45 are assembled Earlier I did a dry fit looks like clampy time again.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2019, 08:03:37 pm »

Stage 55 and 56 building the stairs. After the dry fit in previous reply everything was stripped down into  sprayable parts. Including the outer and inner rear back body panels and the bonnet. Last picture is the stairs clamped into their position bit of a job here as I didn't want to clamp too much  one way and not the other. Till looked good right.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2019, 10:32:06 am »

Stage 48 rail P 125 and decal No 13 fitted. this part of the bus inside back panel was a change of colour to cherry red.

Stage 57 the rear inside back panels glued in position a little sanding here and there and a simple clamp to hold the corner in place side part L 118  rear panel  K 117

Stage 53  The top roof corner support over engine area L 126 spray up and handle grip trimmed and fitted.

Stage 54 part L 128 sprayed with decal No 45  and glass N 129 handle I 122 fitted. This parts glues to part L 126 in stage 53 These parts glue to cab side and front of roof.

Back track to stage 49 roof hand rails G 124, light M 151, handle I 122 glued in. Roof was to  be white I chose Beige with touch white on the light bulbs and little destination board handle painted red.

Stage 58 Roof glued in position, notice gap circled . Clamps out to get it to fit,

captain bligh

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats oh'd av um
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2019, 09:33:34 pm »

Enjoying watching your build been thinking of getting one myself.Dont know if it's possible to paint it green as the buses we had here when I was a child was green the decals could be the problem,but don't actually think they was routemasters.
It's not a bad man who makes a mistake its a good man who can get over it.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2019, 09:55:50 am »

Captain Bligh
There was green Routemasters in London RMC Routemaster Country  1464 and their livery was slightly different. Although this is easy sorted as there are people who make decals  Chris Gillespie  on here. Some modellers have painted the Revell bus green and they would know about livery. Check out Youtube.  Green buses in many ares as well.

Cheers

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2019, 09:01:33 am »

Stage 59 building the top deck. Note the decal No 24 on the rear seat L 131 ( 2 air vents ) and the front panel. L 132 decals No 19-21c.  Next picture shows the parts same as the lower deck and sprayed in the correct colour. I would give this a day or two to cure as once its in the bus you won't be able to get to it to repair.

Stage 60 placement of the correct seats in the correct position. Again bold numbers refer to the their build stage this  lets you know correct seat in right place.. Also fit P 136  rail at the rear seat to hand rail and cut 3 mm off the upright rail on the n/s front. This will jam on the roof if you don't trim it. P 135 front rail to fit as well. Next two pictures show the build and let it cure for day or two. See the arrows on side of second picture these to be trimmed off to make a smooth outer edge to mate with the main outside panels L 144 / K 139 in build 74. Once its fitted in the model there is no way to get to it to repair it. I looked ahead and painted parts while on the sprue that would be difficult when fitted on model.

Stage 61 fitting the top deck to the roof of lower deck. Careful alignment here as I moved it about on a dry fit cause the instructions weren't too clear IE there was only two arrows as a guide. A suck it an see job. It does show you to trim the sides on this picture. I'll show some pictures of the problems of getting that top deck in the right place on next reply. What a job !!!

Jumped to stage 62 the bonnet ( the hood ) L 141 and parts K 142/ 143 and decal 65 to fit. No mention of  decal 65 till stage 90. I sprayed it cherry red as the rest of the model didn't bother to paint the bonnet lock black as its rarely seen. There was no pre drilled hole for the little handle K 211 so I drilled a 0.5 mm hole painted the handle silver and glued it placed decals No  46, 47, found decals numbers at stage 82 decal 65 fitted fitted. Motto look and read ahead no written instruction in this kit other than paint colour and symbols used.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2019, 06:37:44 am »

First picture is from stage 49 this is the roof of the lower deck has since been glued into place called for it to be white I went for beige, forgot to put up picture. Also some pictures of the problem of getting the roof into the correct position. Luckily I did get it near enough in the right place. It has slots it fitted into but moved about 3 mm forward and back, making it hard to locate true position. Anyway I opted to dry fit the front section of the the model part no T 145 and rear inner part J 150/ J 154 this helped.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2019, 08:09:53 am »

You'll notice that I didn't fit part no P 120 in stage 57 the pole on the platform.I thought it would get broken, it would have.
Stage 64 fit P 138 on left handside of stairs Stage 65 fit part P 137 on right hand side to the wall

Stage 63 fit and glue  part L 146 to inside of roof on part T 145. I painted this beige. Bore holes for the advertising boarding edging. Paint inside window frames dark gray

Next picture in the holes bored on the rear roof  outer section

Stage 72 Here is the plan for holes on parts K 139 L 144 to be drilled on the side panels. I think I used 0.4 mm drill. The window frames sprayed dark gray.

Stage 80 parts L 182, L 185 and I 183, I 184 fitted.

Stage 81 parts K 202-204, L 205, I 206 fitted

Last picture work in progress. I don't stick to the build sequences as it saves time.

RST

« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2019, 11:41:38 pm »

May I ask you on your red paint?

Red, white and yellow is my nemesis.  I switched to revell acrylic red for a few inches of build where everything else defeated me.  From the bottle it was as deep and thick as emulsion -I brush painted on but it dried as clear as pink varnish -and that was over a red base layer, blood red in the sink on cleaning brush.  Committed to it, it took about another 5 brush coats before anything remotely red showed up but detail lost etc.    Revell acrylic is so thick!!!!!  I normally swear by Tamiya acrylics for airbrushing -except for red, yellow and white but they're all useless.  What are you using as a primer and how are you diluting the red -or are you airbrushing like, 20-30 coats of red like the model railways guys say before you come close to anything opaque?

Cheers,

Rich

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2019, 10:14:30 am »

RST
Hi Rich I kinda  gave up I wee while ago on brush painting.  Tamiya was too quick in drying at times the brush was sticking to the paint being painted on the model. Lately I saw on YouTube that you paint on to the wet paint not from it. Humbrol as I said on here,  it is like painting milk their white.  Their red no 19 has a little more thickness and gray is the best for covering  that  is why I chose it for the central passage ways and the platform. I am not a Tamiya fan nor have I airbrushed it. Now for the bus, I too decided to go for Revell Aqua paint as I had a good look at the paint info on the leaflet. A good few colours were a mixture of various paints at a certain percentage, plus an addition of gloss at times. I did notice the added gloss does work, amazed !!!. Yes I did airbrush the aqua purple red colour on the wheels to retain the details and on the lower and top deck floors  I= purple red silky-matt   clear gloss which gave a good finish. I follow the correct mixture all times.  This was first time I used the airbrush and found it slow going, many coats needed compared to Halford's rattle cans, which can be in certain places put too much spray on the model. See build when I get to the windows fitting. Maybe a nozzle and or jet change on the airbrush would give quicker thicker coats for you. I don't thick 20-30 coats is required for any covering unless it too thinned.
I added Tamiya thinners ( store bought ) to the aqua paint in the airbrush to the right thinness. it should just trickle down the edge of the mixing cup. Did a trail spray on white paper till it looked right shade. White paper was used as I primed the model's plastic with Halford's  Plastic Primer white it gives a nice light top colour but leave for 24 hours. Yes I found Aqua little thicker from the pot but still needs a few coats. Boy do I miss the enamel paints of yesteryear. I did buy yellow for the band around the bus but after trials on a spare piece of plastic from the kit I said no. I used sticky yellow vinyl  3 mm thick supported at the bends with Zap super glue. The seats were airbrushed  M=fiery red, silky-matt   purple red, silky-matt this gave a nice orange/ brown colour. I only used Revell's Aqua on the inside parts of the model and changed to Halford's Peugeot Cherry red on the outside and half way up the stairs. Its not far from the original colour and I think it looks better. Did I mention that I gave all the inside painted parts a spray of Chestnut gloss lacquer. I have now mixed up my own acrylic thinners but haven't tried it yet. Hope I've covered all bases here.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2019, 10:09:30 am »

The outer body parts were sprayed cherry red. I think it is better looking than that purple red
Second picture painted the wheel arches black topped with clear gloss which worked a treat.

Stage 66 part R 140 the driver's cab decal no 43 and radiator grill and part P 161 glued into position after being painted off model.Headlights M 160 and sidelight glasses M 123 fitted after their rims were painted silver. Didn't fit the windows parts N 157 158 all windows fitted last stage. Inside of cab painted black. AEC decal fitted

Stage 67 part L 147 out body panel, parts 148 3 off paint with a wash red and parts M 149 2 off painted orange wash. I don't spend money on washes just pick a little paint from  pot and on a piece of cardboard stroke the brush till its almost got no paint on it, then smear the part.

Stage 69 part J 154 glued to part J 150 also glue in ceiling light part M 151 and decal No 22 the bell push button.

Stage 70 looking inside parts from stage 69 fit parts M 151 ceiling light, P 201 rod opens locks on emergency window escape. K 152 outer rim of mirror P 153 insert and decal 23 mirror glass.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2019, 09:52:03 am »

Stage 68 front top section decals 60, 63. 70 to fit and then plastic covers N 164, 165, 166 inserted using Revell's Clear Contact. I didn't fit windows N 162, 163 as I said earlier there fitted last.

Picture 2 The decals fitted good on the front section.

Stage 71 rear top section decal 49 on rear window stating emergency exit. Decals 62, 64 route and destination information. Pots of trouble with the decals as they needed to be trimmed to size. Plastic covers N 187- 189 fitted. N 190 fitted end of build, can't remember what decal 25 was. Holes to be drilled for advertising board edging seen earlier in build.

Picture 4, 5, 6. These decals did not fit well and  lost some.Trimmed them to fit and painted the  decal area black as the decal would have red showing where parts were ruined. Waited till decal dried then trimmed it.

Picture 7 once the cover was on this area look alright.

Picture 8 all windows fitted and decals but left out lower window on rear lower section. I did fit the front top windows later I had to remove them. I good thing I used clear contact rather than super as they eased out undamaged. I cleaned the glue off with Meths. Scrapped the glue off the window insert and touched it up with a brush. To me the decals were very thin hence the damage and loss. I have ordered a complete set of decal from Revell, expected to take 30 days to arrive.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2019, 08:06:32 pm »

First picture everthing is placed out for next stage

Stage 73 top deck front part T 145, n/s panel part L 144, o/s panel K 139 and  rear lower panel L 147 to glue into their positions. Window frames inside painted gray 0. Didn't do the black B line around frame too difficult but I did paint around the  the outside of frames the same colour as the passenger interior, the gray plastic colour was noticeable. Next picture scraped off paint where glue joints would be. Next picture o/s panel glued into place and clamped . The rear tail section was next glued to glue in place. I left the drivers cab till later because of the clamping needed

Stage 75 I knew I was going to have trouble with gaps from now on so I done a dry fit of part J 145 previously glued to part
J 150 stage 70. remove it and fitted n/s panel and clamped onto correct position.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2019, 10:28:33 am »

Still stage 73 the driver's cab just fell into position, so I thought.

Picture 1 you can see the parts that are just a little out.

Picture 2, 3 first attempt at getting it square then another try at different angles that worked  a treat.

Picture 4 when all is set and dry the front top deck was put into it's place, no bother just two clothes pegs to make sure glued surfaces were mated

Picture 5 trouble again rear  top deck par S 155 has a gap caused by a high part where my finger is.

Pictures 5, 6, 7 and 8 had to sand the inner part J 154/ J 150 to allow the outer part S 155 close the gap.  This area was sanded till I got a good fit or near enough it, then glued the part.

Picture 9 manage to  loose the gaps on both sides.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2019, 04:43:39 pm »

I've covered most of the stages now and we have the front and rear parts of the upper deck glued into place. The roof picture 2 hmm I can recommend that you fit the roof into the rear section first then fit and glue the front section in place. It was a very tight fit to get roof on as you can see from picture. I manage it eventually but would have done it with the front part still to glue in place, had a know this problem. Had some of Barry's strip  and used that for lining  around the model. Fitted the glass and wiper on the driver's cab. With all that clamping a ended up with a gap on the rear section, which I glued a piece of Evergreen styrene into it and then sprayed it. Last picture I touched up the platform and added a dark gray edge. The last picture shows the gap hidden by the styrene. The back end and corner section was resprayed later.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2019, 10:30:15 am »

Stage 76 n/s windows had no trouble this side fitting them. One or two needed a little of their edges sanded but I think if I wasn't too heavy with the rattle can spraying, they would have fell in place. Again I used Revell's Clear Contact glue.Sorry but to me its not clear.

Picture 2 shows the windows laid out in order they get fitted. Picture 3, 4. this is how some of the windows came off the sprue and needed sanded. Hindsight I would remove the window sprues from the kit and wrapped them in a piece of cloth. I think being lifted in and out of the box did contribute to them getting scratched.

Stage 77 o/s windows most of them with a little sanding here and there went into their frames. I big problem was window N 195 the emergency escape window. I could not get it to fit as there was an obstruction at the bottom of the frame, see top red circle. Had I seen this before spraying I would have used a craft knife to remove it. Also the window N 195 has a raise simulated catch on the inside this didn't help either. See lower red circled window. Next picture lets you see how it broke by trying to ease it in, so I made another one with a little bit cut out to get it in place.

Seaspray

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2019, 12:11:48 pm »

Stages 78, 79 window vents to be fitted. They were painted silver on the their edging any paint on windows was easy removed by a tooth pick. Easy to put in place, nice tight fit. Picture 3 on going window fitting.

Stage 80, 81 edging for advertising area, have covered this previous.

Stage 82 n/s part no 1 127 handle to reach up to the change route and destination board. to be trimmed painted silver. Part no N 180 wing mirror outer part painted black with orange centre.  Went for this style as it looks better. decal 50 bus I.D RML 2273 and decals 46, 47 instructions to open bonnet ( hood)K 159 wiper

Stage 83 o/s C 199 handles to aid driver into cab panted silver  K 200 door handle to close and shut cab door. Parts painted silver. N 207 indicator again black outside with orange centre. P 198 diesel tank cap painted silver Decal 55 a black strip along cab step This decal was torn so I painted this area black. and decal 56 Fuel tank information.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.