Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Linked Events

• INTERNATIONAL MODEL BOAT SHOW ( Warwick ) 2019: November 09, 2019 - November 10, 2019
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: INTERNATIONAL MODEL BOAT SHOW ( Warwick ) 2019  (Read 33495 times)

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
Re: INTERNATIONAL MODEL BOAT SHOW ( Warwick ) 2019
« Reply #100 on: November 16, 2019, 01:52:08 pm »

Hi Martin, did to take any stills of the steamboat Lady Ann ( 3:57) on the last video..

Kevgarth

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #101 on: November 17, 2019, 01:10:10 am »

I've been reading the views of members attending this years event and thought I would drop in a message. I have been to this event over the years but I personally prefer to go to a model engineering show purely for the different array of stuff on show rather than just boats and in this way you can pick up more various methods of building stuff.
The organisers of this show own the hall where the model boat show is held every year so this is why the event is already booked for 2020 already even with the fall in traders not attending. Whereas the  Model Engineering exhibition at Alexandra Palace show in January held over 3 days that's a different ball game so major expense is involved and totally reliant on a good attendance from the public and traders. It will be very interesting to see if this is the last year this show will be held at Alexandra Palace in 2020 as it's a superb venue with good transport links but April next year they want to bring in the CLEAN-AIR for London stretching to the north + south circular again people who don't travel in the London won't know about this but if you enter it you'll be getting a nice letter from the major of London with an invoice to pay. For traders with vans and lorries over three years old and having to hire it will be seriously expensive so they won't attend such an event as an expense like this is on top of the fuel, accommodation, meals etc and not knowing how much money they will make at the show it's a massive gamble.
I know the organisers Meridienne held a Model Engineering show in Manchester in 2012 + 2013 and they had big attendance figures for both days the event was held and lots of people said what a great show but I understand the venue was pricey so it never happened in 2014.

I took my Dad out to the Dortmund show in 2007 when he retired after seeing it on a show on TV, WOW what a show and I never anticipated the people that will be going through the door I read on a write up that in five days 137,000 people went through the show and I can totally believe it as you couldn't move inside. In 2015 I went out again and I could tell in that time even though it was extremely busy it wasn't as busy as when I visited in 2007 the exhibits and traders still seemed the same, after I read that 91,000 went through the door. I read on the web-site for the Dortmund show in 2020 that 77,000 attended the 2019 show and they've gone from five days to four, obviously to save money as this show is held in eight big halls. What is interesting they have school trips to this event as I've heard that in Germany children have to take a art/craft I'm not 100% sure of this it's only what I was told. I'm just gutted my school never had trips to such exhibitions!!! Again it's not just us over here where the shows are being reduced.

I live in Bristol and we have just one model shop now, Antics. So if they haven't got it you're forced to either mail order over the phone or buy on-line.

When I think of when I started this hobby in the early 80's the one big event of the year was the Model Engineering Exhibition at the Wembley Conference Centre and I was a member of the Bristol SMEE then and went up on the club bus (which they used to had four go to the show) and I've seen blokes come
out with pillar drills and put it in the back of the coach??? I was surprised the coaches ever got back to Bristol with the weight in the back. Great days. I put
 the decline in traders down to the internet as traders now don't attend shows as it's not worth the bother of travelling to an event with the costs involved as guys I know here in Bristol that do model flying don't bother with the shows as they order up everything they need on-line, whereas years ago they would go to a show to purchase what they wanted. Hence more traders and more people attending
These are my thoughts and views please don't think I'm knocking anyone's efforts I just thought I would drop a line in on the subject.
As I do support the London, Doncaster and the Warwick model engineering exhibitions every year.

Regards
Kevin 

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #102 on: November 17, 2019, 10:23:23 am »

The MEE went into decline long before the internet got going in any meaningful sense. It shrunk when it moved it moved from Wembley Conference Centre (which has been demolished, btw), to Alexandra Palace, which I think happened in 1989, then it moved to Olympia for a few years, and the last largish show was once again at Alexandra Palace in 1999.

So I think there was a conscious decision at some point to shrink the exhibition down.

StarLocAdhesives/FiveStar

• Full Mayhemer
    • StarLoc FiveStar quality adhesives and glues at FMK
« Reply #103 on: November 17, 2019, 10:56:33 am »

The merridiene model engineering show never was as good/big as the big Wembley one

The one that is now at Alexandra palace was at Lee valley / pickets lock in the mid/late 90s , then moved around 2002 (ish) to Wembley, then to Alexandra palace

The big one was always the very long running one that was at ally pally and Wembley then moved to Olympia for some years and was massive over Christmas / new year, then ended up as the Sandown christmas model engineering show then as the one at ascot ( a tiny show )

All shows have declined due to rip off prices for venues caused by high wages and number of staff needed many due to hse policies , and show organisers charging absurd rates due to wages for the staff needing to be so high in the UK due to high costs of everything!
Formulators and manufacturers of quality adhesives and surface coatings for industrial , DIY & modelling sectors since 1988
See us online   www.shop-4-glue.com
on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/gianthairyhedgehog/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #104 on: November 17, 2019, 11:18:06 am »

Yes, they kind of filled the gap left when there was a hiatus of two or three years for the larger show. The Picketts Lock show was always a bit later in the new year, and tended to lean more towards general model making rather than model engineering.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #105 on: November 17, 2019, 04:41:57 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #106 on: November 17, 2019, 04:44:55 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #107 on: November 17, 2019, 04:47:31 pm »

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #108 on: November 17, 2019, 04:51:04 pm »

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #109 on: November 17, 2019, 04:51:40 pm »

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #110 on: November 17, 2019, 04:55:20 pm »

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #111 on: November 17, 2019, 05:11:31 pm »

T888

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #112 on: November 17, 2019, 06:55:35 pm »

Nice pictures Martin, nice models and good to get this thread back on to the show and the models.
Regards David

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #113 on: November 18, 2019, 12:24:46 am »

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #114 on: November 18, 2019, 01:32:16 am »

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #115 on: November 18, 2019, 07:12:29 pm »

Mountfleet Sea view sub

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #116 on: November 18, 2019, 09:12:20 pm »

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #117 on: November 18, 2019, 09:47:33 pm »

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #118 on: November 19, 2019, 12:05:54 am »

Blimey I missed a lot, maybe (just maybe) I was talking a lot 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 and keeping the Wicksead club in my my sights just in case they 1. sold the contents of my stand.....or 2 left strange things in the steam boats (cans of beans etc .....)
Great to meet up with one and all and meet new peeps...and of course to Klunk who promised to help me on the stand.....and never actually made it that far 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
(well apart from to say goodbye)
Thanks for the pics Martin, at least I get to see what I missed at the show 😁😁
Steamed up all the time
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.