Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Ummmmm ( Don't text and Drive! )  (Read 17547 times)

CJK

• Full Mayhemer
  • Growing old is mandatory - growing up is optional

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
Re: Ummmmm ( Don't text and Drive! )
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 04:00:42 pm »

O0 O0

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 04:13:22 pm »

Perhaps footage of this nature should be shown on public information broadcasts - it might help to get the message across.

Regards,
Ray.

Leaky

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 05:06:22 pm »

'it can wait' yeah tell my management!
badly raised and ill mannered.

Dreadnought

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 05:15:26 pm »

They should put that on primetime TV!  :-))
I my job as a coach driver I must see loads of people holding phones and driving.  :police:

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 06:31:28 pm »

I blame Mayhem >>:-(
Too engrossed looking at Martins
Photo's  %) %) %)
 {-) {-) {-) {-)
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2019, 12:04:55 am »

It is a big problem here as well.
We have ads on TV now and Queensland is proposing a $1000 on the spot fine for phoning / texting whilst driving.
Since one can buy hands free phone systems to make calls they should become mandatory in cars.
I have not even listened to the radio in the car for many years

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2019, 12:34:59 am »

I have not even listened to the radio in the car for many years

You and me both Brian, I only switch the radio on when I'm parked up and the engine is switched off.
I have an absolute hatred of people who use their phones etc whilst driving, including hands free. If your phone activates whilst driving, just ignore it until you get parked up - simple really isn't it?

Regards,
Ray.

RST

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2019, 01:22:00 am »

People who use phones while driving don't care because they think they're better, or they justhave to answer that call.  It's the same as speeders I know, they just think they're better, so rules don't apply to them. I've had so many arguments with these folk I think it's fruitless. One person I know opted for a driving scheme rather than points and he came back so full of mince (his own interpretation) -nothing like highway code says. He was a week again before speeding and on the phone, and quite open about it, just knew where he was being watched compared to nothing next time.

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2019, 05:26:12 pm »

Hands-free systems do not solve the problem, whatever the letter of the law says.  The issue is not holding something in your hand, it is the distraction of having a conversation while driving.  Some say that it is just the same as chatting to a passenger, but it is not.  The passenger can see what you are doing and understands if the driver's attention is taken up with a traffic situation.  So don't speak on the phone when driving, however the connection is made.  <*<

Greg

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2019, 06:06:29 pm »

I do agree with Greg re handsfree, it's still an interactive process with someone who is unaware of what you are doing and it does detract from your concentration. As he says, tallking to a passenger is different as the passenger is sharing your environment although I do sometimes wonder about that when (PC warning) you have two females in the car ahead looking at each other and gesticulating...

As far as the radio or music is concened, that is a passive activity which is automatically tuned out if the road situation requires particular attention.
Personally I don't talk very much when driving  anyway and always keep my eyes on the road, you would be mad not to given the narrow lanes around here!

Colin

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2019, 09:50:54 pm »

Topic renamed....
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2019, 10:11:41 pm »

I do agree with Greg re handsfree

Yep, me too...
Another thing I see often is people driving wearing ear sets for their music - like some runners and cyclists tend to do - does that detract from concentration?

However, the worst thing I've ever seen is a woman driving whilst applying her mascara, using the rear view mirror to assure herself she has got it right  :o

Regards,
Ray.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2019, 10:23:39 pm »

I wear hearing aids so depend more on visual input than aural. I can hear an emergency vehicle coming but there is no directional indication so I need to be alert and looking in my mirrors. Being deaf is not considered a bar to driving and indeed, one can drive if you only have vision in one eye!

Of course most hazards will generally be in front of you so if you are visually alert and not distracted then you should be OK.

Young men are the most accident prone. They rely on their quick reactions to keep them out of danger but overlook the fact that they are reacting to something that is already happening and that isn't always enough. Us oldies learn to anticipate potential hazards and not get into the situation where you have to react so we are statistically safer drivers!

Colin

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2019, 10:37:35 pm »

Another thing I can't understand is why using a Sat-nav has become part of the driving test (at least, I think it has) Would that not be yet another distraction?
Personally, I've never used one, relying instead on the good old map books. To be fair though, a map doesn't warn you about upcoming hazards which, I believe, some sat-navs do?

Regards,
Ray.

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2019, 10:44:58 pm »

My GPS system (my preferred naming) warns me of slow traffic and road works etc., but it's almost invariably pessimistic, and by the time I've got there the hazard has already gone much of the time.

You may say that's the best way to do it, but it triggers a 'Crying Wolf' state of mind after the 10-20th time. A bit like flashing speed limit signs on motorways that want you to drive at 40 mph when there's nothing happening for five miles..............

On the subject of being distracted by phone calls and radios etc. I presume that policemen are immunised against such problems as they're allowed to use their radios when driving............

[Sarcasm Mode Off]
Regards
Kit

boxer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2019, 08:07:56 am »

As a Driving Instructor unfortunately this is something I see on a daily basis.
People using the mobile phone in all sorts of situation, but I have seen other things as well, lorry driver with a can of pop in one hand sandwich in other.
I have seen ladies putting make up on in rear view mirror, plus loads more I could talk about.

Sat nav 4 out of 5 driving tests now use it for approx. 20 minutes on test. Modern Way ? Other one is following signs or directions for a certain place, this is the independent drive section, basically can they think and decide for themselves.

One thing to have in mind, is the phone on show? put it somewhere where you cant reach or see, glove box, bag in back.

If it rings pull over and switch engine off before answering...…...if its really important and you miss the call I am sure they will ring back or wait till you return call.

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2019, 09:11:35 am »

I feel I have become a hell of a lot more cautious in my driving in recent years . Not sure if it is because peoples driving has become even more chaotic these days with tearaway youngsters in powerful cars , bewildered half blind old gits coming in the middle of the road and birds and delivery drivers on their mobiles . But all the time I am driving I am assessing the possibility of problems ahead , if I  am coming to a stop entering a roundabout and I see a car coming indicating left, I will wait till I see his front wheels commit him to the turn before pulling out . As for cyclists  >>:-(
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2019, 09:29:41 am »

A car indicating left?? What a strange concept. Hereabouts it seems that while practically everyone can afford to drive a large German saloon or SUV very few have gone for the optional "Sports Pack" which includes direction indicators and an Off switch for the foglights...
The old 'Mirror, Signal, Maneuver' maxim also seems to have undergone a subtle change in order i.e. Turn the wheel first then check the mirror to see if you've cut anyone up and, if so, quickly indicate to prevent any ensuing shunt from being deemed your fault.
DM

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2019, 10:19:06 am »

Back to the mobile phones - let's not forget the mothers, fathers, grandparents who are, for all intents and purposes, 'driving' pushchairs etc with one hand and texting or whatever and paying no heed to what is happening around them. I guess we can include shopping trollies in much the same category  >>:-(

Regards,
Ray.

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2019, 10:50:32 am »

As for cyclists  >>:-(

That'd be SOME cyclists I hope?

Not all cyclists ignore red traffic lights, go straight over pelican crossings, turn right without looking over their shoulders, ride three abreast down country lanes etc. etc. some of us actually THINK what we're doing!
Regards
Kit

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2019, 11:03:12 am »

some of us actually THINK what we're doing!

RESPECT :-)) . It cuts both ways  O0

(and I'm not a cyclist)

Regards,
Ray.

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2019, 12:41:36 pm »

That'd be SOME cyclists I hope?

Not all cyclists ignore red traffic lights, go straight over pelican crossings, turn right without looking over their shoulders, ride three abreast down country lanes etc. etc. some of us actually THINK what we're doing!

Agreed some are very aware and ride accordingly. In fact as a breed they generally are improving no doubt due to Darwins principle of natural selection.
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2019, 03:01:35 pm »

I drive a truck so I get to see what your all doing in your cars as I sit higher and see everything  {-)

During the morning rush hour period I would say that 1 in 3 cars have drivers who are either texting or using social media.

RST

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2019, 12:04:32 am »

I drive a truck so I get to see what your all doing in your cars as I sit higher and see everything  {-)

During the morning rush hour period I would say that 1 in 3 cars have drivers who are either texting or using social media.

....and for a short while I used to process truck drivers tacos and chiller temperatures and how many did I catch failing working rules, we also knew they used phones while driving and speeeding on some routes!  Also, living in the very far north of scotland, how many times do I watch truck drivers drifting and wavering accross lanes, no indication like most professional drivers (apparently it saves re-filling the indicator bottle) -very obvious allot are half asleep by the time they make it up our way, watch out for foreign plates in particular!!  Don't get me started with truck drivers -watching TV (reflects in the windscreen), reading a book, eating breakfast while driving and chucking the bag/box out of the window, seen it all. And I've been almost run off the road by truckers following me when I've been stuck to the speed limit in my works van.  I admire you guys, I started my class 2 training.  No part of that taught me to drive 2" off a back bumper of a vehicle in front abiding by the speed limit but it seems to be an intuative skill.

Working in a delivery depot also taught me no truck driver ever does anything wrong, they just watch everyone else!
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.