Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ummmmm ( Don't text and Drive! )  (Read 17557 times)

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: Ummmmm ( Don't text and Drive! )
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2019, 12:51:10 pm »

RST as a motorcyclist for over 45 years with a clean licence for the full time I feel that you need to not let some poor experiences you may have had colour your opinions. I agree there are some poor bikers around, mostly new riders and born again bikers who only ride at the weekend if the weather is good. Most however do try and drive carefully, we are at greater risk than you cage drivers.
I know full well about your blind spots, when overtaking I try to make myself visible in your mirrors, if only you would check them sometimes. When driving behind lorries I keep to one side of the lane so that I can see their mirrors so know they can see me, I stay a safe distance behind them unlike many cars who must have less than 1 second between them.
Bikes have the right to filter between lanes in slow moving traffic and generally do so without problems until the awkward car drive moves over to block their way. I rarely filter nowadays as I ride a large wide tourer but generally when I do on dual carriageways and motorways  good 4 wheel drivers are considerate and will move to provide space.As for speed limits these seem to be becoming a lottery with reductions appearing for no obvious reasons. I have driven on a wide dual carriageway with a limit of 40 then turned onto a narrow winding country road with a limit of 60. It has to be remembered that when speed limits first came in the top was set to the speed and braking of something like a Ford Anglia not a modern vehicle with much better  handling and braking. To insist on sitting at 55 on a motorway should be seen as poor driving as you will be holding up other traffic, it must be disconcerting to see an HGV coming up behind you and hope he will slow down for you. I'm sure they will be cursing you for holding them up.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2019, 06:46:47 pm »

I agree with Jim, no problem with competent motorcyclists who let you know they are there and I am always happy to let them pass, why spread the traffic queue misery? In return there is usually a courteous acknowledgement.

Unfortunately a lot of accidents do result from inexperienced motorcyclists taking chances, there are memorials to them on all the roads in this part of the country and no doubt elsewhere. I have never been tempted to ride a motorcycle having observed that everyone I know who has had fallen off at some point!

Ultimately whether it is truckers, bus drivers, white van drivers, car drivers, motorcyclists, push bikers in lycra or simply somebody on the back of a horse, you can't cateorise them by their means of propulsion. Basically it is a people thing. There are a significant minority of road users who are either stupid, careless or simply bloody minded and inconsiderate and they all have the power to make life difficult for the rest of us.

Colin

Captain Flack

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2019, 12:06:36 pm »

Id like to rant about cyclists please.  My city has spent untold pennies on installing cycle paths, on one stretch of road there are TWO within 3ft. of each other.  The cyclists seem to prefer the road however, so I'm thinking of driving on the cycle paths, 'cause no cyclists are using them!!!

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2019, 12:55:48 pm »

Well it's a universally uncontrollable melee....

We have Truck & Bus 40 KM Only lanes descending some long mountain gradients  ....and most truck & bus drivers do obey the restrictions

I kick my 4 speed auto into 3rd gear & calmly progress at the 80 KM speed limit hardly ever touching the brakes...........

Others accelerate past me with their brake lights blazing for hundreds of meters at a time weaving in and out of the Truck & Bus lane

I bet their brake mechanics $$$$$ love them {-)

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2019, 05:35:22 pm »

Yes, people who drive down hills with their brakes hard on perplex me too.

And quite a few hills in my neck of the woods have 'Low Gear' signs on them as well, so maybe they can't read?  {:-{
Regards
Kit

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2019, 07:48:39 pm »

To insist on sitting at 55 on a motorway should be seen as poor driving as you will be holding up other traffic, it must be disconcerting to see an HGV coming up behind you and hope he will slow down for you. I'm sure they will be cursing you for holding them up.
Jim

Not strictly true - there are further two lanes to my right they can use - I believe they are referred to as Overtaking lanes  :-)) , as for truck drivers same situation, they drive up to me, taking a significant amount of time in most cases to get there, then they overtake - just like any slow truck, difference is I slow down as they pass and let them know when they are clear and they pop back back in without slowing down, I just then go back to the 55, By going slow it doesn't usually hold any one up - say for the german marques who don't know any other speed than full throttle.  :}
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 23 queries.