Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 2x Brushless speed controllers question  (Read 2225 times)

Richard Houston

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat: Richardson Tug & KD Perkasa
    • Aberdeen Model Boat Club
2x Brushless speed controllers question
« on: July 21, 2019, 07:17:52 pm »

I'm going to be running 2x Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 - 4250-350KV on 2x 4S 5000mah Lipo's

Looking to find out what size of Marine ESC's i'll need and also need to find out what Gauge of power cabling required

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
Re: 2x Brushless speed controllers question
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 11:50:27 pm »

Wire size should be the same as the battery.  To find a suitable ESC, look up the max ampage of the motor and select accordingly.
  I presume you know that different  propeller sizes will affect the current drawn.

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 08:15:53 am »

The motors, speed controllers and battery packs should all be pre-wired. My advice would be not to modify that wiring in any way, both for the sake of safety and warranty. As Chas says, the prop size will affect the current drawn.
DaveM

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 01:58:36 pm »

Turnigy website shows the maximum current as 53A so I'd suggest at least a 60A speed controller. Some will only work up to 3S (11.1v) so do check the specifications in that respect.
DaveM

Richard Houston

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 04:28:45 pm »

@DaveM, thanks I have ordered 2x Turnigy Marine 70A ESC's (https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-rc-boat-esc-70a.html), I was wondering what the guarded port was below the waterline just over 3/4 the way along each side of the perkasa and was told they are water scoops

@DaveM, not sure what you mean I know the AWG or Gauge of wire must be the same but the plug from the battery does not plug straight into the ESC's and a Friend of mine suggests Joining both Batteries which will keep the voltage but double the current, not too sure on that aspect.

@DaveM the ESC's are pre-wired but no plug on the end of the ESC so that the battery's will connect so I'm guessing I need to soldier on plugs to match batterys, aka Male to female and the likes.

@Everyone looking for the best choice of Dual lipo's, someone told me this one would be good but hey I am new so who knows let me know... https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-5000mah-4s-40c-lipo-pack-with-xt90.html

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 05:18:26 pm »

Hi Richard, there's no point in joining the battery packs, just use one for each esc.
  Re the connectors, they are advertised on the same page as the battery link you posted.
  Here is an article you might find helpful in choosing and soldering them
https://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-battery-connector.html

I would not advise extending the wires, just plan the layout and instalation to suit them.
chas

Richard Houston

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2019, 06:49:08 pm »

Hi Richard, there's no point in joining the battery packs, just use one for each esc.
  Re the connectors, they are advertised on the same page as the battery link you posted.
  Here is an article you might find helpful in choosing and soldering them
https://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-battery-connector.html

I would not advise extending the wires, just plan the layout and instalation to suit them.
chas

Thanks Chas  :-))

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2019, 07:55:53 pm »

@Richard

Sorry to confuse but your OP specified cabling gauge, not connector type/size. Ref the latter, Deans, XT 60/90 or 4mm gold-bullet woud serve equally well. These guys sell all of them https://www.componentshop.co.uk/

I've no idea what the Perkasa's ports are for. I've never built one.

The battery should plug directly into the ESC. Where else might it go?

If you have two motors and two speed controllers then it's logical to have one battery pack for each motor. That set-up has always served me well.

@DaveM (BTW What's the @ for?)

Richard Houston

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2019, 08:00:31 pm »

@Richard

Sorry to confuse but your OP specified cabling gauge, not connector type/size. Ref the latter, Deans, XT 60/90 or 4mm gold-bullet woud serve equally well. These guys sell all of them https://www.componentshop.co.uk/

I've no idea what the Perkasa's ports are for. I've never built one.

The battery should plug directly into the ESC. Where else might it go?

If you have two motors and two speed controllers then it's logical to have one battery pack for each motor. That set-up has always served me well.

@DaveM (BTW What's the @ for?)

What does 'at' sign mean?
The at sign is most commonly found in email addresses and on social media, where it is used to tag specific users in posts.
The symbol, @, can also stand in for the word at in everyday writing and in online conversation, where it is often used as a verb.

DaveM are you a mind reader now sir

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2019, 08:40:01 pm »

Richard

I don't profess to be able to read minds so you must have divined the implied route of my post. CompShop are the best. You will not be sorry.

Ref @ - I thought that the @ comes after the the account name and before the hosting thingy e.g Boris.Johnson@abandon-all-hope.com

(Other political micturations are available.)

DaveM

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.