Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 48" Chris Craft Corvette. HELP needed!  (Read 1381 times)

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
  • Never too old to learn !
48" Chris Craft Corvette. HELP needed!
« on: July 22, 2019, 04:18:26 pm »

I have been given a fairly beaten-up model of a Chris Craft Corvette to either restore or junk!

The model is 48" long and the hull is constricted of wood (complete and rather tatty), and the super-structure has the upper cabin mounted front spray screens missing and needs some repair and new parts making if I decide to restore it.

I cant find much information about this model boat but I think it may be built from an American made Sterling kit from the early 50's ?

The hull looks like (from the fairly intricate hull bulkhead structure)  that there it was intended to be driven by twin electric motors - and if I do restore it, this would be my choice of power for the model.

I would like to buy a set (or copy set) of the original plans if I am to restore it so I can see what size to make the missing upper cabin front screens and to check out any other details that may need making or replacing.

Although this model has seen better days I can see from its shape that it is a model that I would be pleased to own and sail on our club lake every week, so any help or information that I can find would be gratefully received as it could make the difference between being encouraged to restore it - or not bother!

This model does need a lot of work to return it to its former glory - and I will be 70 in a few weeks time - so if anyone has a nice example to sell, please contact me as I would be interesting in buying it and sailing it every week as I use it as a full size reference to help and encourage me to restore this sad example!

RMH

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 48" Chris Craft Corvette. HELP needed!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 04:31:21 pm »

A quick surf and I came up with this website where the plans can be downloaded for free. http://oldboats.tk/Sterling1.html
I also found this for 3D printed replacement fittings https://matthewsmodelmarine.wordpress.com/2016/05/05/new-fittings-for-the-sterling-42-chris-craft-corvette/
It's a nice looking boat
Richie

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 10:56:23 pm »

Thanks Richie,

I will try to get a copy of the plans printed so I can see what size to cut the replacement parts that are needed.

The boat was run many years ago with a large two stroke engine in it and was damaged at sometime before it was abandoned but at some stage it had a really poor repair effected by pouring some (a lot!) of hot melt or shellack into the hull !

This has now shrunk away from the corners of all the joints and so serves no useful purpose but is proving to be very hard to remove as it is both hard and lumpy and so prevents any new wood from being inserted until it is removed.

Such fun and many hours of work that causes some unavoidable damage as this thick coating is levered and chiselled away!

Thanks for your help,

Bob.

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 10:38:28 am »

After a 2 year (plus) break from reading and contributing to Model Boat Mayhem I started this thread here as I was not sure where to place it to get the best viewing, but having since taken a little more time to read a lot more of the interesting threads I think I should have posted it in the more appropriate section:-

[size=78%]Sports boats, Race, Power and Leisure Boats:[/size]

I was tempted by the mention of it being moved to the correct section anyway and hope that when it does it will be viewed by those with a specific interest in Leisure boats (which is probably the best description of the Chris Craft Corvette?)  as I hope to find another current or previous owner of one of these splendid old models that may be able to help me with some of my enquiries.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 23 queries.