Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pond Yacht Identification  (Read 1955 times)

JimS59

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Pond Yacht Identification
« on: July 22, 2019, 10:59:57 am »

Hello All, I'm a newbie here and I am on a quest for information on the Pond Yaght that I have recently been given.does anyone know what type of yaght this maybe. I know it was built in 1937, and has been laying in a shed for some years have been trawling the net and found that it maybe be a J Class. Any help in the ID or links to simular would be appreciated. Many Thanks Jim

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
Re: Pond Yacht Identification
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 11:04:57 am »

need a picture,  we are good, but not that good!
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

JimS59

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 11:11:41 am »

Sorry All, I am having trouble resizing and attaching the photos, how ever as soon as I can I will post them.
Jim

JimS59

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 11:33:31 am »

Some photos of the deck and fittings, i ppologise if they are upside down. Still getting used to the site.😊

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 11:41:08 am »

No idea but have you looked at 6 metre models
I suspect that dimensions might help the experts - I can see that it is pretty big but how big?

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 12:39:43 pm »

You might try Russell Potts of the Vintage model yacht group (VMYG).  He is an expert but would need length breadth height  and weight.  Do you have a mast or remnants of sails?
It is unlikely to be a J class as that was the current class for the Americas cup races and full size 160 odd feet loa. It does not fit the underwater profile of the full size yachts either.
 Length will help a lot but in the 1930's there were other obscure classes of yacht. 

But if it is 50 inches long it may well be a Marblehead and your photo looks a bit too long for a 36 inch class could possibly be the French 1 metre (40 inches) class.  !0R (Ten raters) were a little more substantial but could vary a lot.  6M(etre) class was designed to sail in shallow water and be more scale like but they are a bit chubbier than your boat.
Russell will know, he is the current man to go to for this sort of thing.  He enjoys doing it!

What are you going to do with it?

regards Roy

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
Correction
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2019, 12:53:00 pm »

UpTurned

JimS59

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2019, 01:21:47 pm »

You might try Russell Potts of the Vintage model yacht group (VMYG).  He is an expert but would need length breadth height  and weight.  Do you have a mast or remnants of sails?
It is unlikely to be a J class as that was the current class for the Americas cup races and full size 160 odd feet loa. It does not fit the underwater profile of the full size yachts either.
 Length will help a lot but in the 1930's there were other obscure classes of yacht. 

But if it is 50 inches long it may well be a Marblehead and your photo looks a bit too long for a 36 inch class could possibly be the French 1 metre (40 inches) class.  !0R (Ten raters) were a little more substantial but could vary a lot.  6M(etre) class was designed to sail in shallow water and be more scale like but they are a bit chubbier than your boat.
Russell will know, he is the current man to go to for this sort of thing.  He enjoys doing it!

What are you going to do with it?

regards Roy

Thank you for your response Roy, she is 48" long 10" wide and 9.5" from keel to deck. I will try your suggestion of contacting Russell. Unfortunately the mast and sails have been lost.
I intend to try and restore her, I think i will have to remake the deck as the original is warpped and cracked. Also some of the planking has opened up. As this is my first go at this I may need some experianced advice.
Thank you Jaymac for the photo correction.
Regards
Jim

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2019, 02:55:51 pm »

:-))  my pleasure Jim

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2019, 03:25:22 pm »

Hello looks like it might be a Marblehead, the Americans also have a rule of 50 / 800 i.e. 50 inches long and 800 square inches of sail.  Very similar class.  At over 80 years old I would get some advice from someone who can also see the boat before attempting work.
Personally I would not go down the lane of fibre glassing the insides.  You can't go back to square one if you regret it.  Varnish and stocking  / tights material works well though.
I have a similar aged hull and probably like yours the planks are nailed in place.  The wood will be very brittle especially if it is bare, I tried wetting the hull, it did help a bit but some carefully cut slivers of wood can help fill the cracks in the planking.  I have to say I stopped doing my one, I was not clear on what outcome I wanted so she is back in storage.

So I suggest you work backwards what do you want her to be like when finished?  Is it an ornament, a free sailing (Braine gear) yacht or radio control?
If you can work with wood great, but if not I would not start on this hull, sounds negative but ask Russell I often see him and there are other VMYG members who do this work.  If you just want a sailing yacht you might want to trade it?  There are a dwindling number of old pond yachts, best they are preserved properly.
I do a bit of restoration and have seen unwitting calamities performed on models yachts.  A nicely done one can give a good financial return but it takes time and effort and expertise.

For you information the yacht would have had 3 sets of sails for different wind conditions, your boat has Braine sail and steering control.  Lots of info on the Internet.

Best of luck.
Roy

JimS59

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2019, 09:26:03 pm »

Thanks for the information Roy, I have dropped Russell an email as you suggested and I'm awaiting his response. I have never built a yacht but my first model boat had been a 27" rc 1958 Chriscraft Cobra, i have also done a 4' rc Perkassa and several other boats but saying that I know nothing with regards to yachts but I am willing to learn, so there may be a few fundemental questions that I need to ask in the not to distant future.
I would like to renovate the yacht to its former glory and have it as an ornament but with the capability of her going back in the water as a free sailing yacht.
Can I please ask if you know where I can get sails made.?

Best Regards
Jim

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2019, 10:10:57 pm »

Hi Jim, no reason why you should not make your own!  I have never had sails made so am not the best one to advise but there are a few out there.  However you need to get the boat made first and mast and booms sorted then the sails can be measured to fit.
I am afraid just drawing some likely looking sails does not work, there are some simple calculations and balancing to be done for sailing.  Best get as near to a design as possible and copy those.  Russel I think, has a booklet possibly for sale about this.  A Marblehead in full sail takes up a big space by the way.
Good luck.
Roy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 22 queries.