Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Steam launch OSPREY  (Read 2686 times)

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Steam launch OSPREY
« on: July 22, 2019, 03:51:57 pm »

Early in July this year I took a trip to the new Windermere Jetty, the follow up to the old Steamboat museum. It was an interesting visit although many of the boats from the original museum are not present as they are generally waiting their turn for restoration before putting them either back into the water or displayed on land. While there I took the opportunity of taking a Heritage boat trip on the steam launch Osprey. This was around 45 minutes in total and was a big contrast to todays high speed living. During the trip I was able to spend some time looking at the engine and having an interesting talk with the engineer with most of the other male passengers. I was able to take some video of the works so have included this here.

https://youtu.be/YfBWodDwG1M
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Steam launch OSPREY
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 04:48:38 pm »

A boat trip with a friendly engineer - it doesn't get much better than that.

The boat itself looks lovely - thanks for sharing Jim :-)

Regards,
Ray.

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 07:01:19 pm »

The Osprey is a very nice boat and in great condition. It has been restored but most of the original was retained and where wood had to be replaced they used the same type as original so it's looks were not changed. The boiler has been replaced and the engine is similar but not original, it seems that boilers are easily replaced as they are standard narrow guage loco type and there is a local workshop producing them. One surprise during the trip was when I noticed the engineer pouring water from a bucket under the firebox. It seems that the firebox is low and there is not much clearance between the ash pan and the bottom timbers, this will not allow any heat protection to be fitted. To keep the wood cool they pour salt water into the bottom to wet the ash.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 07:43:34 pm »

Yeah, there is always a solution, finding it is the problem. Heck of a messy job at the end of the day though, clearing away sodden ashes.

Regards,
Ray.

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 08:59:30 pm »

However, you  will not get a cup of tea with water boiled in a Windermere steam kettle or a cream bun was we always used to.

LB

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 12:13:55 pm »

Afraid not, I meant to ask if the steam kettle was working but never got round to it.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

steamboatmodel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2019, 11:03:00 pm »

The Osprey is a very nice boat and in great condition. It has been restored but most of the original was retained and where wood had to be replaced they used the same type as original so it's looks were not changed. The boiler has been replaced and the engine is similar but not original, it seems that boilers are easily replaced as they are standard narrow guage loco type and there is a local workshop producing them. One surprise during the trip was when I noticed the engineer pouring water from a bucket under the firebox. It seems that the firebox is low and there is not much clearance between the ash pan and the bottom timbers, this will not allow any heat protection to be fitted. To keep the wood cool they pour salt water into the bottom to wet the ash.
Jim

I thought Lake
Windermere was inland so it would be fresh water not salt water right?
[/size][/color]
That was a lovely video, I hope they get more of them restored.
[/size][/color]
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2019, 10:58:13 am »

I thought Lake
Windermere was inland so it would be fresh water not salt water right?
Gerald.
Windermere is fresh water but I was told that the water in the bucket was salt water.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2019, 10:58:53 am »

All the boats will be restored over time, about twenty - twenty five years or so. They are well on with the project as can be seen here a couple of weeks ago. I'll be going a again next month and I'll post an update afterwards if any one is interested. all donations to the museum will of course be gratefully received.

LB

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2019, 12:31:38 pm »

Lucky you, when I was there we didn't get inside the door. :-))
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2019, 01:13:22 pm »

Memories from 30 years ago come flooding back. Beautiful. Thank you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.