Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Plans  (Read 1883 times)

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Plans
« on: July 23, 2019, 09:36:03 am »

Guys,
I have got a set of plans of a container ship I sailed on back in the 80,s, it's scaled at 1.192,,what that plan doesn't say is it's 1 to 1, so, how do I check the accuracy of the plan and translate that to my wood,
Trucker

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Plans
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 09:42:05 am »

Measure the bits on the plan in inches, multiply by 192. 
Divide by 12 to get the original size in feet. Sometimes you have to trust your plan for accuracy unless you lnow different from elsewhere.
Or divide by whatever scale you intend to get your required size in inches.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 01:19:53 pm »

Container ships have an advantage in that containers are 20, 40 or 60ft long so they're an easy way of checking the scale.  In 1/192nd scale a 40 foot container should be 63mm long, a 20 foot 31.5mm and a 60 foot is 94.5mm.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 03:47:01 am »

Thanks guys for your explanation, very helpful , something else I've learnt , just need to learn how to read an imperial rule better  :embarrassed:
Trucker.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2019, 11:38:36 am »

When the RAF went metric in the seventies my staff used a double sided tape; measured in imperial and then read the other side! Fortunately, we made it through without too many mistakes.
Don't Assume Check

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2019, 12:37:04 pm »

When the RAF went metric in the seventies my staff used a double sided tape; measured in imperial and then read the other side! Fortunately, we made it through without too many mistakes.

I hate those. There are so many places that it is easier to have the tape one way round but not the other I find that I use a ridiculous mixture of inches & millimetres when measuring & marking out. Given me millimetres on both sides of the tape any day.

As we have been largely metric for 35+ years and schools have taught metric measures only for about the same length of time the need for imperial measures is surely much lower than looking at measures for sale would suggest.

TailUK

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2019, 02:49:16 pm »

I was also started out on Imperial and had to "convert" to Metric In general you find that metric is easier when dealing with the smaller scales (it's always made me laugh that the smaller the scale means a larger number)  The scale being discussed (1/192nd scale)  I Imperial foot (full sized) is equivalent to 1.58mm (Scale Sized)  in Imperial the 1.58mm would be 1/16th of an inch or 0.0625 inches.  So much easier to deal with metric numbers.
No human society has ever functioned without models to capture, explain,disseminate,
persuade, sell, reinforce and analyse all kinds of ideas, values, concepts and situations.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2019, 09:29:38 am »

Metric is great for metric original sizes being modelled in a metric scale - all nice round numbers.
Imperial scales, like 16 feet to the inch, work much more easily where the subject started as imperial.
Having said that, how many of us do or did model railways, where 4mm to the foot was very convenient?  For those who didn't, thats "00" scale.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 21 queries.