Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Technological Progress - Is it getting too complicated?  (Read 4894 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Technological Progress - Is it getting too complicated?
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2019, 11:31:39 pm »

No, the bull bars will slaughter them first!  %)
Colin

RST

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2019, 11:11:53 pm »

I'm still a bit of a dinosaur.  I would never buy a car new, even if I won the lottery 1) let the first person take the depreciation and 2) I just don't like modern cars.  I currently have a 2003 Volvo V40 sport, it returned me the same gas miles a brand new hire car Vauxhaul half and half pseudo 4x4 thing did the the other month on the same trip did.

I prefer driving older cars, my old restored MK1 VW caddy only did 55 at a push flat out.  My old Mk2 MR2 was one of the highest powered N/A's in the country.  My last Celica GT4 import came with 50k on he clock, totally clean underside you cold still see the inspectors paint stick marks on the bolts and apparently it ran so well with a few mods it sailed through a modern day emissions test with a "barely there" sports cat never mind a 1994 test.

I turned 40 last month and am left behind with my peers.  I don't care about social media, phone I can do calls, SMS and internet. I hate cars with parking sensors -everything else I turn off because it interferes with my driving.

Hate modern cars I have as hires because a) I can't see anything from them but they keep beeping everywhere including passing traffic lights and b) I usually have to drive them hard just to join a slip road -there's not much fuel effieicncy compared to my older car.

In terms of modelling I think newcommers are forced into a devide at the moment.  Personally I think Brushless and Li-Po is a bit confusing.  I learned the basics on much easier brushed and Ni-Cad -now Ni-Mh and I still think this is the entry to go for a rank beginner, otherwise they need to do some research.

2.4ghz, I don't see anything surprising there.  I bought my first set (non-computer) cpl of months ago, I'm still 40mhz based and just got another rx recently.  I don't have much sypathy though if the specs aren't read (ref recent reference).

One thing which shocks me is very few triy for themselves thes days, perfering waiting for an instant on-line answer.  The learning curve, research, trying for yourself is being lost and it's not being promoted any more.  The learning curve for me, is 100% part of the hobby.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2019, 07:49:47 am »

One thing which shocks me is very few triy for themselves thes days, perfering waiting for an instant on-line answer.
It's one of the things I don't really understand either - a plank of wood will float - stick a motor on it and a rudder and off you go.   Everything else is just finessing the basic structure - it ain't rocket surgery.      I could understand if it were helicopters or aircraft because the consequences of making mistakes are expensive.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 21 queries.