Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: R/C A SILLY IDEA I THNK  (Read 2890 times)

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
R/C A SILLY IDEA I THNK
« on: July 24, 2019, 04:58:43 pm »

HI ALL I'm a fairly newbie an I'm building HMS tiger in the scratch build section as I  a few months ago I bought a new Futaba 6 channel R/C SYSTEM for my HMS Norfolk type23 frigate. An when buying said radio the shop did not have much of a choice an as I wanted a 6 cha R/C  I bought the new 2.4 gig system  only to find that to charge the batts on it the batts have to be taken out of the radio an put in a separate charger but I found a problem with this idea is that taking batts in an out to charge makes the pickup terminals bend inwards an then as I found to my cost the radio went off as lose batts connections an just as well I had fitted a fail safe system in my ship or damage would have occurred an this seems a silly idea as I thought it was far better to leave batts in radio an have a charger that plugs into the radio has anyone else had this problem  ? AN I THOUGHT IF I KEEP bending the terminals out to make a good batt connection the terminals will snap off sooner or later  ANY WAY RANT OVER...

Chris

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
Re: R/C A SILLY IDEA I THNK
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2019, 05:09:32 pm »

What model Futaba radio have you bought? I just checked the T6L manual (the likely culprit) and found that it's designed to operate fronm 4 x AA alkaline (dry) batteries. These supply 6 volts, as opposed to 4 x AA rechargeable cells which will supply only 4.8 volts. This is important for both correct operation and adequate range. If I were you I'd fit four decent high-power alkaline batteries such as Duracells and periodically check that the power LED on the front of the transmiter is glowing steadily. If it flashes or fails to go on then replace the batteries.
DaveM

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2019, 05:19:24 pm »

What model Futaba radio have you bought?
DaveM

HI Dave FUTABA T6L  SPORT 6 channel digital proportional T-FHSS 2.4 GHZ
Chris

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 05:23:46 pm »

Crossed in the post, Chris. Please read my post above and confirm by reading Page 12 of the manual.
DaveM

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2019, 05:39:28 pm »

HI again Dave I see what you mean about batts power an yes you are right but my problem is the batt terminals inside the R/C BEND INWARDS AN MAKE A BAD OR LOSE CONNECTIONS   evry time I take the batts in an out to charge them up an as I said if I bend them out to much to make a good connection sooner or later the terminals will snap off  do you see what I mean Dave an thanks for your anwers  cheers
chris

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2019, 05:45:32 pm »

Do it all the time with my transmitter, had it for 6 years , not been a problem and that is a radiolink.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2019, 05:47:30 pm »

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2019, 05:49:02 pm »

.... just to mix it up a bit, many of us have had issue when we forgot to take batteries out of transmitters!   >>:-(
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2019, 05:54:19 pm »

.... just to mix it up a bit, many of us have had issue when we forgot to take batteries out of transmitters!   >>:-(

HI Martin its not the batts that are the problem for me its the radio batt terminals are weak an wont stay sprung out to the batts so poor connections
chris

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2019, 06:00:15 pm »

Just my pennyworth but I have found that rechargeable cells can sometimes be a very slightly bigger than standard non rechargeable alkaline ones and this can put a strain on the holder.

As Dave M says, you might do better to use standard high power alkalines. They should last for quite a while in normal use. I have also used the low discharge rechargeable in my sets without any problems but you do need to remove them for charging. Had no problems in doing that.

https://www.componentshop.co.uk/batteries/standard-rechargeable/aa.html

Colin

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2019, 06:17:05 pm »

OK guys thanks for your answer'  looks like im gonna have to live with it  <*< >>:-(
chris

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2019, 08:17:08 pm »

Chris
The radio needs 6 volts, not 4.8. That's what it says in the manual; that's what Futaba designed it for and so that's what you should do. That's why they didn't provide for a recharging socket. Please don't think that the bloke in the model shop who sold you the rechargeable cells was in some way smarter than the manufacturers of the radio. He isn't. Neither am I, but I know that instructions do matter, especially to folk who are new to this hobby.

How big do I need to write this?

REPLACE THE CELLS YOU HAVE WITH ALKALINE ONES AND YOU WILL NOT NEED TO REMOVE THEM FOR A VERY LONG TIME. JUST CHECK THE LED ON THE TRANSMITTER FRONT PANEL. 4.8V IS NOT ENOUGH TO GUARANTEE CORRECT OPERATION OF YOUR RADIO.Sorry to shout, but stuff like this matters if you're serious about this hobby - or you'll just be another loss to it. Also ask yourself why you posted the question if you don't like the answers you get....Dave M

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2019, 10:14:07 pm »

OK Dave message received an thank  you 
chris :-))

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2019, 09:45:55 am »

Apart from what Dave said, the terminals in battery compartments usually fall into two types, spring negative and blade.  To load the spring type, it works best if the cell is inserted neg end first, when the pos end slides in easily, compessing the spring to ensure good contact.  I suspect that the one being discussed is the blade type.  EXACTLY THE SAME.  Place the cell in offering the neg end first, the pos end drops easily into its socket with minimal force on the neg blade.  It can be done the other way round, but shouldn't, because that makes for excessive bending on the spring as the end of the cell makes room for itself to pass.
And if it was designed for non rechargeable, thats the one to use, but it is a very good idea to make sure that the transmitter really does get swithed off.  Annoying and expensive otherwise.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2019, 10:00:30 am »

Apart from what Dave said, the terminals in battery compartments usually fall into two types, spring negative and blade.  To load the spring type, it works best if the cell is inserted neg end first, when the pos end slides in easily, compessing the spring to ensure good contact.  I suspect that the one being discussed is the blade type.  EXACTLY THE SAME.  Place the cell in offering the neg end first, the pos end drops easily into its socket with minimal force on the neg blade.  It can be done the other way round, but shouldn't, because that makes for excessive bending on the spring as the end of the cell makes room for itself to pass.
And if it was designed for non rechargeable, thats the one to use, but it is a very good idea to make sure that the transmitter really does get swithed off.  Annoying and expensive otherwise.

HI well ive done what dave said an fitted 4 Duracell batts in givin 6v so i'll see how I get on an how long they last before replacement is needed
chris

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2019, 10:42:55 am »

HI well ive done what dave said an fitted 4 Duracell batts in givin 6v so i'll see how I get on an how long they last before replacement is needed
chris
I put Duracells in my Tamco 2.4GHz transmitter 7 years ago..... Still working fine!

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2019, 11:00:50 am »

I put Duracells in my Tamco 2.4GHz transmitter 7 years ago..... Still working fine!

OK Plastic thanks for your info  :-))
chris
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 22 queries.