Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Rodney  (Read 17344 times)

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
HMS Rodney
« on: July 29, 2019, 03:07:02 pm »

Working on the smoke system for HMS Rodney - https://youtu.be/ceF5wZMuXKA

C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: HMS Rodney
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 09:39:26 am »

HI C-P30
lookin at the amount of smoke you are makin I just wonderd what the source of the smoke is ? as I have fitted a smoke unit in my Norfolk an its a water based unit an she looks quite good smokin on the water but does not make this amount of smoke you are makin  an have you built Rodney yet an is the build on here ?
chris

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 11:15:34 am »

Hi Chris,
The smoke source is water/glycerin (85/15).

The method used to produce the smoke is still in development and I am not in a position to share the details (sorry) but is loosely based on the same method as commercial smoke machines.

I anticipate even more impactful smoke by the time the project is finished  - for all 9 guns - time will tell...

PM Re HMS Rodney

Regards
C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 12:09:05 pm »

Hi Chris,
The smoke source is water/glycerin (85/15).

The method used to produce the smoke is still in development and I am not in a position to share the details (sorry) but is loosely based on the same method as commercial smoke machines.

I anticipate even more impactful smoke by the time the project is finished  - for all 9 guns - time will tell...

PM Re HMS Rodney

Regards
C-3PO

HI C-3PO lookin forward to seein her on the wet stuff  an guns firin will be a cracker of a model an as she's big will look very realistic  :-))
chris

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2019, 02:58:36 pm »

Ballasting accomplished 22kg

Now the magic starts... a joint venture between an expert modeller/engineer and an Arduino wizz

C-3PO

johnv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2019, 05:12:19 pm »

Hi C 3 PO all looks Very good I can see you are the man for it .Looks very nice on the water cheers John V

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2019, 03:18:56 pm »

Hi - Can anybody point me in the direction of a set of plans (ideally/1/96th) for HMS Rodney

Thank you

C-3PO

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2019, 03:53:00 pm »

Hi C-3PO

Other than the National Maritime Museum Plans Section, the only other place I can think of is Profile Morskie. They can print off their plans at any scale you require. And they do one of HMS Rodney.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2019, 04:12:39 pm »

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2019, 10:20:36 am »

Hi Colin/Nick,

Thank you for the info...

Need to find more body parts to sell having purchased some beauties ($$$) from Shapeways & John Jaynes for our HMS Rodney project.

C-3PO

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2019, 10:55:02 am »

Crane under construction (supplied John R Haynes)

C-3PO

Bob K

• Bob K
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2019, 02:22:40 pm »

Looking really good  :-))

Bob K
HMS Skirmisher (1905), HMS Amazon (1906), HMS K9 (1915), Type 212A (2002), HMS Polyphemus (1881), Descartes (1897), Iggle Piggle boat (CBBC), HMS Royal Marine (1943), HMS Marshall Soult, HMS Agincourt (1912)

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2019, 03:18:49 pm »

Hi Bob,

Thank you - the credit for the build (building on what Mr Dean had already achieved) has to go to Peter my co- conspirator with this project.

Regards

C-3PO

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2019, 09:16:02 am »

I am in awe @ Peter's build ability - the crane and catapult (John  R Haynes) are a work of art...

C-3PO

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
Re: HMS RODNEY
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2019, 01:11:55 pm »

HMS RODNEY - Smoke system development

I now have the production of smoke fully under microprocessor control - this allows me to vary the density, plume shape and length of time smoke is produced.

In the video smoke is set at about 45% density - turned right down so I can still breath in my den...

Can't wait to see all 9 guns firing broadside! - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRVVhIVQlbY&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRVVhIVQlbY&feature=youtu.be

C-3PO

johnv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2019, 11:05:01 pm »

Hi C3po it's John V I think you are very clever of putting it all together . Keep up the good work .Cheers John V

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2019, 03:26:29 pm »

Never realised you could have so much fun smoking out the joint!!! I have just pressed the order button to allow smoke production for all 9 guns - gulp

Inserting a brasss pipe at the end of the tubing has had a dramatic effect on the shape of the smoke plume.

The smoke is being created about 1 metre from the exit point - I am pleased with the way it travels in the pipework

Next experiment is to increase smoke density...

https://youtu.be/83ShklBRdKI

https://youtu.be/83ShklBRdKI

C-3PO

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2019, 07:05:46 pm »

VERY CLEVER that looks great an very realistic when done you wont be able to tell that from a real battleship if there were some still around
chris

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2019, 10:47:51 pm »

HMS Rodney

Gun elevation is proving challenging but slow porgress is being made - only another 8 to go !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ksB9zvxoks&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ksB9zvxoks&feature=youtu.be

C-3PO

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2019, 11:07:59 pm »

Very effective movement but the gun appears to be under the turret in the video.

You probably already know that Rodney & Nelson fired salvoes with two guns of one turret and one of another. Rarely broadsides. It is all documented somewhere!

Colin

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2019, 09:20:25 am »

Hi Colin,

Thank you for the info re the salvo firing - I did not know that - very interesting - I will aim to replicate that functionality on the model

You are correct re the turret location, sitting on to of the guns - it's temporary

I have not finished the cut-out yet and dropped the top on the workings to hide the "chewing gum and elastic band" mechanics under the hood - there aren't even proper bearings in this example and the gun judders a little - all will be solved in time...

Engineering is not my thing and I struggle with the basics. This is why for me this project is really quite exciting as working with an engineer and expert modeller (Peter) the end result should be a thing of beauty - he is currently working his magic with the super structure.

He will no doubt smile and put right my amateur approach to the workings of gun elevation - I just wanted to see what was possible - and what space we had to squeeze in the kit for elevating each gun individually - whilst working @ 1/96th scale provides on first impressions a lot of space it soon seems to evaporate.

Regards
C-3PO

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2019, 01:35:28 pm »

Very interesting indeed. As a word of caution if you are using non flammable fog fluid do be aware that unless its vaporized properly it can leave a residue which is in fact flammable. This is what happened to me with early trials with Iron Duke and led me down the PTC Thermistor route as a heat source.

Just to prove it dip a fire proof wick in the fog fluid and hold it over a gas flame and it will burn - not a lot just a candle like flame, but that was a great surprise to me given fog fluid is based on de-mineralised water, glycerine and glycol.

Cheers

Geoff

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2019, 02:52:29 pm »

Hi Geoff.

Thank you for the heads up. I was aware that you could get more smoke that your bargained for due to the residue combusting.

I will have 9 individual smoke generators, each with their own temperature sensor, they will not activate if the temperature is above a pre-set level.

I have a crude automatic way of putting out any fires / cooling the smoke generators but whilst they do get warm/hot after several consecutive "shots" I am only producing heat for a very short amount of time - approx 2 seconds during each shot , after which each smoke generator is force air cooled

I can "hard code" to vary the temperature and length of time smoke it produced, and the rate it is expelled from the gun so I have lots to play with.

The long term vision is that I will be able to amend any of these "smoke generator" parameters from the shore - this functionality builds on aspects of other projects I have already completed.

This would mean that I could produce more smoke on a windy day when it disperses all too quickly and less on a calm day

Another perhaps contraversial  aspect of the "HMS RODNEY" project is "Black" funnel smoke - it's a side project - firstly to see if it's possible to produce - and secondly to evaluate what it does to the model finish and other factors

Going to be a fun winter....

C-3PO

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2019, 02:59:05 pm »

This photo clearly shows a 5 gun salvo:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mayor1999/37167818735/

The firing procedure was complicated by the need for all guns to be loaded together which reduced the potential rate of fire although perhaps not having much effect on the aimed rate. As with most other battleships of the time, the guns were lowered to about 3 degrees for loading and re elevated for firing, you can see this in films of the time. Loading could take place at most angles of elevation but this meant pushing the shell and charges uphill which put a strain on the hydraulics, slowing the operation. It was actually quicker to lower the gun to near horizontal for loading (and probably safer too!) and re elevate it for firing.

Lots of interesting info on the British 16 inch gun here:

http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNBR_16-45_mk1.php

Colin

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2019, 03:06:32 pm »

Colin,

Thank you - some great info on those links - I will read more later - however the info below answers several questions I had in one hit (excuse the pun)

C-3PO

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.