Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 5G kills 22 freeview channels  (Read 4369 times)

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 5G kills 22 freeview channels
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 08:04:37 am »

in Canterbury we are on a relay antenna, due to being in a big dip, we only get about 12 channels in the first place, if we lost 22 we would be in negative numbers.

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 08:22:27 am »

And you would probably still need a licence :}

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 08:58:42 am »

I use Freesat  O0
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2019, 12:14:37 pm »

me too, sky was getting expensive, so I ditched it for freesat, never looked back

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2019, 03:35:09 pm »

They did the same thing with DAB radio around here. They simply knocked out a whole series of stations when they "upgraded" the transmitter including the only ones I listened to. They are still available everywhere else.

RST

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2019, 11:35:35 pm »

Any chance it kills the "guff"?  My TV retuned last week (I hit wrong button on a pop-up) and it changed all the channel orders and brought back about 40 channels of "guff" I deleted before like reality, home shopping -they all came back, plus the "+1" versions.
....noteworthy point, I'd go back to 4-5 channels any day but the content is so diluted now.  I watched an episode of 8 out of 10 cats visiting home last week, it was on once, then repeated on "+1", then after "+1" it was on "more 4" .  And I turned on the next night and it was on again twice at least.
I don't find much to watch on TV these days.  Hopefully radio will survive.

...didn't they give out free "filters" the other year or was that for 4G?  I guess the 5g filter might involve a small patch lead back to a spare internet router port for "monitoring" purposes LoL.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2019, 11:28:12 am »

my main channel is talking pictures tv.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2019, 11:44:52 am »

We don't watch any live TV other than Newsnight. Everything else is recorded. When we do watch it we fast forward through any adverts.

The other evening we watched something as it was transmitted. We just couldn't believe how long the adverts went on for and how loud they were compared to the programme.

I am sure that it hasn't always been like that.

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2019, 12:38:57 pm »

If you get it on catchup most adverts are removed volume they get round by compressing it  (British broadcasts)  it will sound louder but they are in limits

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2019, 09:14:43 am »

Adverts have always been subjectiely louder, its their little way of making sure that you hear them while you are out of the room attending the kettle.
I've been getting several advices to retune lately due to channels swapping around.  Is this related to 5G or just something that the powers do to feel important?
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2019, 12:56:46 pm »

Are you actually getting a 5G service, or is this preparation for it, or is there a service provider called 5G?

If it is a 5G service, bandwidth should not be an issue. It sounds like they are just streamlining/pruning out less profitable services. Then using 5G as an excuse.

From the look of the cuts listed in the original post, a lot of the cuts are the HD versions but the standard (lower quality picture) channel remains. They may also be cutting channels that have a lower audience because it is not attracting advertising. This cuts choice, especially for people who do not have mainstream interest. This is a good reason for public service broadcasting like the Beeb. I know we all like to complain about the licence fees, and some people see some of the stuff on BBC 3/4/5 as dross, but one mans dross is another mans enjoyment. If you don't like the stuff on BBC3 you are probably not the target audience. The target audience may be small, but then we are back to public service broadcasters providing non mainstream content (alternative viewing).
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2019, 03:09:52 pm »

Can 5G interfere with my TV reception? Yes it can and it will affect a high number of Freeview, Youview, BT Vision, EETV and any other service that uses a traditional TV aerial for its live TV function. Although a high number of Freeview users will suffer with 5G interference it will still a very small over all percentage of total users. Most likely you will not suffer with 5G interference so I wouldn’t go away and immediately panic.

RST

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2019, 08:24:43 pm »

Are you actually getting a 5G service, or is this preparation for it, or is there a service provider called 5G?

...Is that not the big debacle with Hwaee / Huwae / Wah-wee, whetever it's called and how we could potentially be handing over a new network to a company associated with policies and securities not quite in alignment with "western" ethics?

In any case -I saw a report about 2 years ago saying, if you have poor mobile reception now, that switching to 5G will be no better!  You'll just still get no reception in the same areas, but when you do, it'll be 5G.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 22 queries.