Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best glue for cnc cut abs  (Read 4225 times)

Alan52

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great.
Best glue for cnc cut abs
« on: August 01, 2019, 08:14:13 pm »

Hi all

Just starting to build a graupner sar . It's an abs  hull and the superstructure is cnc cut abs. Could I ask for some advice on glue. The instructions recommend Cyno, uhu  acrylit  and uhu  plast  special.

Could anyone recommend a suitable Cyno or any other glue.

Many thanks.

Alan
Alan

RST

Re: Best glue for cnc cut abs
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2019, 08:49:29 pm »

Technically the best method I've used for ABS-ABS is pretty much neat MEK.  You can get it from plumbing stores in 250-500ml tins but NOT always MEK cleaner.  Otherwise I know Tamiya have an ABS solvent and I think EMA or Slaters / etc do a modellers bottle also, but don't get it confused with the polystyrene solvent, which won't necessarilly work with ABS.

...Any other method is a mechanical bond and not a solvent weld, so doomed to fail at some point.  Whether you go for the modellers bottles I suggested or the bigger solvent tins is your choice.  I personally find MEK brilliant to work with in terms of performance, but absolutely horrible for my health in any quantities.

Rich

Alan52

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2019, 09:55:19 pm »

Hi Rich

Thanks for the reply.

I was recommended to use Deluxe Materials Zap a Gap medium on another forum and so far tests with this have been fine. :-)) I am building a Graupner Hertha Jeep. The hull is blown ABS and fully built, so it is only the superstructure that its needed for. However thanks for the advice. Its nice to know that there are other options available.
Thanks again for replying. It is appreciated.

Best wishesAlan
Alan

RST

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2019, 10:01:12 pm »

Hi Rich

Thanks for the reply.

I was recommended to use Deluxe Materials Zap a Gap medium on another forum and so far tests with this have been fine. :-)) I am building a Graupner Hertha Jeep. The hull is blown ABS and fully built, so it is only the superstructure that its needed for. However thanks for the advice. Its nice to know that there are other options available.
Thanks again for replying. It is appreciated.

Best wishesAlan

....no, no no on zap a gap CA!!!!  What forum said that -it's just bad advice to use it compared to proper solvent solution for that material IMO!

Alan52

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 10:18:54 pm »

Hi RichThe actual Gruapner instructions supplied with the Kit recommend Cyano Glue,UHU acrylit and UHU Plast specia. The scrap parts that I have tried this on have all given a solid bonds. The forum I went on was model-boats. I had several suggestions on this site including acetone.ThanksAlan
Alan

RST

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2019, 11:01:43 pm »

Hi Alan,

Acetone will melt ABS quite happily also, also done it with that fine but not all modern nail varnish remover as it's sometimes replaced with something the same -but not quite and you'll be there all day including the well known method of unsticking superglued fingers together which doesn't work because nail varnish remover isn't acetone any more!!  In any case -anyone telling you to use CA for ABS-ABS as the base-case is just wrong!

...I found your website and post. Never came across that site  before now!  Mybe you had no answers on here because folk replied there -bit it seems "strange" recommendations!

Rich

Alan52

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2019, 11:36:21 pm »

Hi Rich

Yes I did get replies from that site, but none except for you from this site. Really hard when you are looking for information. As this is one of the biggest forum, I thought I would get loads of replies. Anyway I appreciate your advice. I am grateful for you replying and for the advice.

Best wishes

Alan
Alan

RST

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2019, 02:32:36 am »

Gosh sorry, been modelling for 30+ years.  Never heard of that site before now.  It's not something that ever cropped up before for me.  MBM (here) and Modelboats are the usual which normally crop up.  Appreceiate there's others, there's also an ultra special secret lifebat forum out there which you can't join without spending 1k and joining a special group. it's all a bit ficled I guess.

Rich

RST

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2019, 02:33:15 am »

OK admin, I made a mistake, i hit new rather  then modify but really???  I mean really not letting me delete my post??? Really???   Really???

Alan52

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2019, 08:37:25 pm »

Just ordered some plas weld. Also found out that Tamiya do ABS  glue. :-))
Alan

rickles23

• Full Mayhemer
    • Royal Navy Commandos
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2019, 10:43:42 am »

Here in Oz i was talking to a plastics welder about glues for plastics and he put me on to Sci Grip 16 from IPS Corporation.

It has worked as well as I was told it would do.

Any plastic to plastic and everything would break but not the actual joint.

Regards

Alan52

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2019, 12:23:23 pm »

Thanks for the information. Not sure if it's available in the uk. I will check.

Thanks
Alan
Alan
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 23 queries.