Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best practise for prep'ing plywood before build  (Read 2946 times)

RipSlider

Best practise for prep'ing plywood before build
« on: September 30, 2007, 09:31:28 am »

Hello all.

I've just taken delivery of the Caldercraft PCF, which is a very nic model indeed.

Barring the hull, all the main components are 1/16th" ply.

I'm just owndering if I should prep then first, using sanding sealer or something similar, and then build, or build and then prep?

Many thanks

Steve

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Best practise for prep'ing plywood before build
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2007, 09:47:21 am »

A bit of both Steve. You get a better finish more easily if you seal first but you don't want to seal areas where there is a wood to wood joint as that would mean that the usual wood glues would not penetrate and you would get a weak joint. An example would be the deck. It's best to seal the underside to prevent moisture getting in in the future but you should leave bare the areas where it rests on the stringers and internal bulkheads that hold it in place. Once the assembly is complete then use sanding sealer on all exposed areas and rub down. Should work OK. I prefer ply to plasticard as I find it easier to work with and use it on all my scratch built models. Good luck with the build.

Colin

RipSlider

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2007, 02:06:02 pm »

Thanks Colin.

Out of interest, what sort of glues do you use?

I'm been thinking of using a thick cyano perhaps with activator, but have been recommended by Barry at Westborne to use Alphatic. I'm OK with that for the bigger stuff, like the decks to the frame etc, but for the fiddly bits like the cockpit, it will be a swine to clamp in place.

Steve

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2007, 03:24:18 pm »

Barry's advice is good. Modern aliphatic glues are fairly quick grab but I see what you mean. I don't use Cyano very much myself as, like many people, I'm allergic to the fumes but I don't see why you shouldn't use the thick variety on the superstructure. In that case you might be better doing some pre prepping with sanding sealer before assembly to that the glue doesn't sink in to any great extent. No doubt somebody with more experience of using thick cyano will be able to give more detailed advice.

boatmadman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 03:31:50 pm »

Try and get hold of super-phatic. Its like a superglue aliphatic, it comes with a nozzle that is about 1 mm thick - it gets into all those tight places  O0

This glue sets quite quickly, and 'wicks' into the join between two woods - I used it a lot on my last build, a drifter, and am very pleased with it.

Ian
if at first you dont succeed.....have a beer.....

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2007, 04:30:20 pm »

I would caution against using cyno glues as they tend to crystalise after 5 years or so; it you want a long lasting strong bond always use and alphatic type glue.

LB
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 21 queries.