Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Abrasive paper supplier recommnendations  (Read 10032 times)

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
Abrasive paper supplier recommnendations
« on: August 03, 2019, 08:05:58 pm »

Hi All

I'm looking for a decent abrasive paper supplier.  Can anyone recommend someone that they use as my old supplier has ceased trading.  I'm looking for just decent paper that doesn't crack when folded and lasts for a useful time.  I don't need hook and loop just normal paper

Thanks Mark

cos918

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Abrasive paper supplier recommnendations
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2019, 09:36:39 pm »

have you looked at what Tool station have to offer?
John

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 08:29:32 am »

I never thought of them - I'll have a look thanks John

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2019, 09:39:12 am »

Halfords have a good selection in their car repair section. Their fine grit pink sheets are great for finishing off. They cut well and don't clog easily.

The Norton Expert packs:

https://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SearchRouter?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10151&action=search&srch=abrasive

Colin

Fred Ellis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2019, 10:01:46 am »

Just pop around to you local car repair paint shop and ask them, if like my local one who was very helpful. :-))
That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2019, 10:24:30 am »

For coarse abrasives (80-120 grit) I generally buy a roll of the green or yellow stuff from the local Dulux paint centre. For finer grades I've now settled on this product and supplier http://www.toolbank.com/0/p/FAIARS115240
Works for me.
Dave M

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2019, 10:34:01 am »

Thanks Lads - I did try my local car shop but they mainly had wet and dry type paper which I don't like using on wood.  I find this type of paper great on plastic though

For coarse abrasives (80-120 grit) I generally buy a roll of the green or yellow stuff from the local Dulux paint centre. For finer grades I've now settled on this product and supplier http://www.toolbank.com/0/p/FAIARS115240
Works for me.
Dave M

Ah ha!  Thats the stuff I was using before I ran out!  Its great and doesn't clog up. Cheers Dave that exactly what I was looking for but couldn't remember what it was called  :-))   I order some now.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2019, 11:29:22 am »

I use these 'white' finishing papers. They are brilliant and because they do not clog, they last longer. One thing I did learn is that you need to go one grade higher for the same finish/smoothness as you would with other abrasive papers.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2019, 12:00:21 pm »

Thanks for the link, Colin, which also details the aluminium oxide yellow and green stuff I mentioned. However, along with Rupert Murdoch, Richard Branson, James Dyson, Philip Green, Michael O'Leary and the Barclay brothers I don't think Jeff Bozo Bezos needs or indeed will ever receive as much as a penny of my money. I'd rather pay more for the same product elsewhere.
Dave M

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2019, 12:15:57 pm »

It's actually being sold by somebody else Dave, as are many Amazon items. Granted the seller has to give a cut to Amazon though. But the seller appears to be able to charge around half the rate that Toolstation does for delivery.

It can be argued that I am supporting a smallish UK company rather than the 300 store retail giant Toolstation. And it's likely that both of them apparently have to import the stuff via Faithfull anyway - it's probably made in China.

Complicated innit?

Colin

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2019, 01:55:34 pm »

That's ToolBANK, Colin, not ToolSTATION (a bunch of clowns, at least as far as my local store is concerned). I gather that Mr Bozo's cut can be as much as 20% and I don't like what I hear/read about the way his staff are treated, so I'll opt to take my business elsewhere. If I could find this product at a small local business then that's where I'd go for preference. Complicated it may be, but it's hardly astrophysics.

DM

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2019, 02:19:30 pm »

Sorry Dave, got the name wrong but still the same cost. A bit of Googling suggests that the average Amazon cut is much less than 20%.

I agree that the way Amazon staff are treated is apparently very poor but we all seem happy to buy stuff originating in China, much of which may be made by small children working up chimneys or women working terrible hours in sweatshops.

Still, we can all pick and choose which options best satisfy our consciences I suppose..

Even the sweet little Swedish maiden who likes to lecture us on global warning and refuses to fly as a result is happy to sail the Atlantic on a £15m non recyclable carbon fibre yacht fitted with state of the art gadgets and a diesel engine and a smug expression on her face.

At least the plight of the Amazon employees in the UK has been publicised and they are subject to our employment laws and coming under pressure to improve their practices.

Colin

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2019, 05:01:18 pm »

It's cheaper at Amazon if you have to order online.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Faithfull-ARS115240-Silicon-Carbide-Finishing/dp/B000C750JM/ref=pd_bxgy_60_2/259-5554673-3621260?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000C750JM&pd_rd_r=32428135-81ca-4938-8e3c-024914bcd15e&pd_rd_w=hOcRd&pd_rd_wg=RJMFY&pf_rd_p=7a9d3b22-47b7-4932-be38-57f4219c3325&pf_rd_r=6DBMTJYH8Y30451T76KZ&psc=1&refRID=6DBMTJYH8Y30451T76KZ

Just ordered some myself.
Colin

Thanks Colin - Unfortunately I've just got back from the pub and have just seen your post.  But as I've been numbed by a few sherbets I still feel good about my purchase - but that may change in the cold light of morning  {-)   I'll keep the link for the future - this is really good paper that lasts ages and is so flexible without cracking  :-))

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2019, 05:03:47 pm »

Glad to hear it is flexible, should be good for my orbital sander then, the 'proper' sheets always seem to crack and quickly split.
Colin

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2019, 05:08:05 pm »

When you first use it - it will seem quite thin and flimsy.  I was quite disappointed when I took my first delivery as I thought that it wouldn't last five minutes.  But then having used it I was really surprised just how long it lasted and just how strong it was.  I've never used it on a sander but I guess it would be fine.  It certainly works great on sanding blocks!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2019, 07:05:34 pm »

Well, if it doesn't work on my mains orbital sander it should be fine for my 12v Proxxon.Colin

bj

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2019, 03:07:31 am »

Hi All

I'm looking for a decent abrasive paper supplier

Machine Mart - by the Roll and by the grade

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2019, 09:37:36 am »

Because I am a pensioner and strapped for cash ,when my abrasive paper starts to clog on the disk and orbital sander and the hand sheets to prolong its life I use a block of crepe to rub over the surface ,had it for years and it works . I know the paper will loss some cutting properties but it can be used as the next grade down/up ,can never remember number systems .I got mine from Craft supplies ,thy are long gone , I think Axeminster Tools do it.
David
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2020, 06:31:29 am »

So,
My little 125mm diameter Proxxon bench mounted disc sander does incredible work  :-))   [thanks for the tip Andy], .......but the cost of the Proprietary paper stick-on paper abrasive disks a marketing rip-off

In OZ, Proxxon Distributors are either in Brisbane or Melbourne...., a packet of 5 x 125 diameter Proxxon stick-on paper disks [any grit size from 40 to 240] = $23.00 + 10% GST = $2.30 + $16.00 Australia Post - $41.30 or $8.26 per disk %%

A Company here in OZ called the Sandpaper Man sell a conversion velcro lock stick-on 125 diameter disc for $9.00, then the opposite velcro disk backed abrasive disk for $1.00 to $1.40 each depending of Grade

Bunnings sell the same velcro backed 125 diameter abrasive discs for $6.00/10 or $0.60 each........ :kiss:

Please don't misunderstand, I think the Proxxon equipment is excellent........just not the cost of their consumables...

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2020, 07:14:11 pm »

....  And it's likely that both of them apparently have to import the stuff via Faithfull anyway - it's probably made in China.

Colin

The wrapper says all the abrasives are sourced in Europe! I bought mine from Folkestone Fixings via eBay. Cheaper than Amazon and delivered next day by Royal Mail24.
Very pleased with it so far - much cheaper than the 3Ms sheets I was buying at Homebase. :-)) :-)) :-))

Barrie
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.