Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Plug Change  (Read 4097 times)

rickles23

• Full Mayhemer
    • Royal Navy Commandos
Plug Change
« on: August 07, 2019, 09:05:08 am »

Hi due to the negative wire corroding I have to change the wire and plug.

Colour coding is

the new set has White Red Black

The old one has Brown  Orange  Light Orange(Tan?)

When I stripped the covering plastic off I noticed that only two leads are used.

Help.

Regards

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
Re: Plug Change
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 09:51:31 am »

I think we have to make the assumption that the three-wire lead and plug is part of a power circuit, possibly inside the transmitter. If that's correct then the Black wire on the new lead is the battery negative (old Brown); the Red/Orange centre wire is the positive and the White wire is the one which carries no current. It would be the signal wire on a servo or speed controller.
DaveM

rickles23

• Full Mayhemer
    • Royal Navy Commandos
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 10:53:03 am »

My sincere apologies to you but I forgot the most important piece of information.

The new leads are for 4.8V 2.55Ah NiMH receiver battery.

I was too involved getting the colour of the leads.

Regards 

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 11:04:48 am »

As DM says, Red Positive, Black Negative.
Old lead Brown becomes Black, Orange becomes Red.

If being used in a yacht/sailboat, make sure the hull is
well ventilated after a sail to minimise 'black wire' syndrome.
Apologies if teaching Grandmother to suck eggs.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

rickles23

• Full Mayhemer
    • Royal Navy Commandos
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 11:58:35 am »

Hi Netlened, Thanks for that and I will gladly accept any ideas or tips .

Regards

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2019, 03:30:53 pm »

Putting the right wires into the right holes counts for much more that having the right colours.  Yes the Black-red-white scheme often becomes a Brown-red-yellow scheme, but the really important thing to remember is that the negative line always connects to the receiver pin nearest the edge of the board.
While black wire corrosion is being mentioned, I am hoping for a preventative.

I recently ordered some CorrosionX, having heard very good reports of it.  The idea is that this might help prevent the black wire corrosion.  So my plugs have had a good squirt of it, hopefully it will go where the damp would previously have gone, and do its magic.  The big problem with damp and wire is that once it gets into the wire, it wicks it way further in, and, no matter how good the ventilation afterwards, stays there doing its evil.  My hope is that on new gear, the CorrosionX will form a good barrier.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

rickles23

• Full Mayhemer
    • Royal Navy Commandos
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2019, 05:46:15 pm »

Hi,
I have tried everything including WD40.

I put it down to running my boats in salt water but I have no choice.

So I keep a few sets of leads handy and change them when I have to.

Odd thing is that I only get this with the receiver batteries. The main drive batteries have never had this 'black' wire.

The receiver batteries are sealed in a waterproof container  when  the boat is on the water and carefully taken out afterwards  and are more cared for than any other part of the boat.

Regards

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2019, 06:38:50 pm »

Amended posting:
Just read the reply above and realised that it answered my own question! Sorry-pardon, but do disconnect the Rx battery as well as just removing the box from the boat.
DM

rickles23

• Full Mayhemer
    • Royal Navy Commandos
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2019, 07:09:46 pm »

oh yes I do disconnect the batteries from whatever they are powering and check each one is ok before I store them in a second room I use for the boats. But I have just checked the main drive batteries and the leads seem ok. Perhaps this 'black' lead is a curse placed on all boat modellers. Regards

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2019, 07:27:24 pm »

I understand that it only happens on plain copper wire and that stranded cable which has been plated/tinned doesn't suffer that fate. I've never had the problem so I'd welcome any observations on that aspect.
DM

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2019, 05:12:18 am »

Copper will oxidise to a green colour under normal weather conditions as can be seen on a copper roof.   If it is heated (an electrical current passing through it) it will go black.   Tinned copper wire is protected from the (damp) air so does not oxidise so easily.

rickles23

• Full Mayhemer
    • Royal Navy Commandos
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2019, 09:19:13 am »

Hi, the leads on the battery is stranded wire and it still goes black. Yet it does not happen with the drive batteries which have stranded leads. Regards

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2019, 09:41:53 am »

Hi, the leads on the battery is stranded wire and it still goes black. Yet it does not happen with the drive batteries which have stranded leads. Regards
The question is not that the wire is stranded - it's that those strands themselves may or may not be plated/tinned.

DM

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2019, 10:31:02 am »

........and what they are plated/tinned with will play its part in deciding how long it will take for the problem to show itself.
Damp does get everywhere, including the insides of cables through what is often thought of as an impenetrable barrier in the area of the crimped terminal.  Unless there is something extra there, it is an entry point.  Once in, it does its evil over time.  Bigger and/or plated wire just takes longer.  When it does become a problem, trying to reterminate is generally futile - stripping the sheath back and cleaning the black muck off only shows you that the wire is now 99% black muck with almost no wire up the middle.  Repeating te process only reveals that the entire length of the wire is affected.
I suspect that the black stuff is the same as that which appeared (intentionally) on the plates of copper ovide rectifiers before the new-fangled selenium appeared.  Except that the rectifier makers intended it that way, inside the cable it is another of Mother Natures home made components, and Mother Nature is a bit random in her quality control.
Following the good reports that I have seen of it, I am hoping that the CorrosionX will do a better job of protecting than the WD40, but it will only be used on new plug-ins and rescued radios.  I not only sail in salty water, but live on the bit of UK coast possibly most exposed to salt laden prevailing wind that has a big town perched on it, so if it works for me, it should be universally good.  Time will tell.

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2019, 10:44:06 am »

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2019, 11:47:38 am »

Since it is generally only the negative wire that suffers the problem one theory has been that it is due to a reaction with the black pvc insulation on the wire. This may have an additive not present in other colours. With many connectors now using silicone insulation there does seem to be much less of this now.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2019, 01:33:12 pm »

Since it is generally only the negative wire that suffers the problem one theory has been that it is due to a reaction with the black pvc insulation on the wire. This may have an additive not present in other colours. With many connectors now using silicone insulation there does seem to be much less of this now.
Jim
Ah....but wasn't the negative wire which was subject to 'black-rot' in rickles' battery pack insulated in brown:o
The plot thickens.  8)
DaveM

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2019, 03:30:37 pm »

I read on one of the RC sites, that it happens on leads attached to
sla, nimh, nicad cells that have vented through the safety valve on
the cell. It then travels from the offending cell to the next connector
and normally, but not always stops there. That's what I read.
True or not, knowest not I.

Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2019, 03:54:06 pm »

there is something in the back of my mind(and that's  long way back) that I read somewhere was that oxygen free copper as used in the big boats so it did not suffer the black wire issue. I have just bought a long wire antenna for a radio and it says in the blurb that it is made with multi strand copper boat wire so it will stand the vigour's of our climate ,maybe just more info to confuse us .
David
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2019, 04:12:25 pm »

If you Google 'black wire corrosion' you will see umpteen theories as to why it occurs. Many of them may be true! It's certainly not confined to R/C equipment. I found it in the lighting system of my old 1:1 scale yacht.

Colin

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2019, 06:46:20 pm »

I reckons it be the work of the Evil One and we should rightly be afeared of it....   :o
DaveM

(Don't have nightmares...do sleep well)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2019, 06:54:21 pm »

Quite right Dave. Once it gets into your entrails there is no hope... :o

Colin

RST

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2019, 07:25:05 pm »

Just wondering as it's not been asked but I picked up from the post explaining enough to know what it was.  ...I've never seen a rx battery pack with 3 cores, whatever the colour.  They're always 2 cores in a 3 pin socket?

I've seen black rot in plenty of cables.  Lots of old cars.  Always the negative / earth is worst and some of the cables are PVC covered, some Silicone, some black, some grey, some brown.  Dunno how it affects things -just seems to.

I wouldn't put WD40 anywhere near electrics though!  Although I would use it as a cleaner and to drive-out surface water (which it's brilliant at), but clean it off afterwards and protect the area with something else after.

Rich

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2019, 08:30:41 am »

Helluva price, though, Malc! https://www.amazon.co.uk/CorrosionX-Lubricant-penetrant-prevention-aerosol/dp/B00WGKWXFC
DaveM
I got mine from Wireless madness, bottle with spray head rather than aerosol, rather lower price.  Still not cheap, but hopefully enough to last for years and years.
https://www.wirelessmadness.com/rc-accessories/oils-lubricants/corrosionx-liquid-250ml-bottle-with-spray-trigger-cx250t

rickles23

• Full Mayhemer
    • Royal Navy Commandos
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2019, 11:27:40 am »

Hi all,

One observation I made when I was replacing the old leads, which worked using the new colour chart.

When I tried to de-solder the Negative wire, the solder that was used in the factory took some time before it would loosen.

The Positive lead I just had to touch with the soldering iron and the lead came off.

Thank you for those who helped me.

Regards
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 22 queries.