Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Speedline Shannon Lifeboat  (Read 3492 times)

bobgrimward

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Speedline Shannon Lifeboat
« on: August 05, 2019, 01:20:17 pm »

I am currently building a Shannon but I only have one steering nozzle for the water jets. I did have two but I sent one back to Speedline as it did not have a thread cut just a piece of wire.
Adrian told me to send it back and he would cut a thread, since then nothing not reply to texts or e-mails.
I noticed on his facebook page he said he is about to retire and I wonder if he has already done so.
My question is would it be possible to have the one I have got 3 D printed if so would anyone know where I could get this done. I live in Milton Keynes.
Thanks in advance.
Bob Grimward

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
Re: Speedline Shannon Lifeboat
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 03:25:26 pm »

He is still about as he logged in to Shannon Builders group yesterday.
I would try phone and email again
My concern moving forwards is spare parts and as you know he announced he would retire when he's sold the four kits on the shelf. What about after than  :((
One friend has already broken both reversing buckets in use. Member "OldFart"
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

RMH

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 04:42:32 pm »

Well then we need to start a campaign to make sure no-one buys the last kit. Then Adrian can't retire  :}

Seriously though I think he deserves retirement as much as anyone else so we shouldn't complain too much but I hope someone can take over Speedline or at least continue to produce some of the hard to scratch build components that could easily be produced on a 3D printer. There must surely be a market for the fittings for modern lifeboats if nothing else.
Richie

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 05:35:52 pm »

Agreed
The ideal buyer being MBD
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

bobgrimward

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 06:44:48 pm »

Success I managed to get in touch with Adrian today.
To let everone know he is retiring on the 31st October so you will need to get your spares, missing parts or kits by then.
Bob Grimward

Flundle (Speedline Models)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019, 10:00:20 pm »

Yes, 31st August is the last day anyone can order anything. I will need up to eight weeks to process all the orders then that's it.
However, all my customers (with just the one exception) will receive my full support for spares for as long as I am able to give it.
Bye all.
Adrian

dpbarry

• If it ain't broke, break it and curse fixing it!
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Newcastle Lifeboat Station
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2019, 10:42:55 pm »

Hi Adrian

Is it possible to obtain any fixtures and fitting that could be used on a MBD Shannon?

If so, what would you have available?

Declan

Yes, 31st August is the last day anyone can order anything. I will need up to eight weeks to process all the orders then that's it.
However, all my customers (with just the one exception) will receive my full support for spares for as long as I am able to give it.
Bye all.
Adrian

Flundle (Speedline Models)

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2019, 09:36:08 pm »

Do you still think MBD would be a good buyer for Speedline after all the fit issues you have had on their Shannon?
If you do then you have not the faintest idea of what it takes to make a Speedline kit.
Did you know that MBD used to do my fibreglassing?
Their castings were crude and very heavy and when Andy was caught (by a fellow Mayhemmer of some repute) selling castings behind my back, I pulled the plug.
Since then my casting have been first class and I defy anyone to challenge that.
I strongly suggest that before saying anything at all about kit manufacturing, you try to make a model lifeboat  from scratch first.
Try designing the kit.
Make all the parts.
Find first class suppliers (who make to a standard and not to a price).
Introduce new ideas into the mainstream (the first to use laser-cut acrylics (£24,000 for the laser cutter needed to produce the engraving and cutting I needed)).
[size=78%][/size]Beautiful etched metal for surface detailing,  made by PPD in [size=78%][/size][size=78%][/size]Lochgilphead (the best in the business).

Resin casting instead of white-metal done by the best in the business).
Scale rubber fendering (made by the people who make the real thing).
Accurate scale handrailing fixings in cast brass that doesn't break etc. etc..
So, you put your money into the long term and you try your best to sell your products.
Then, after all that effort, time, stress and cost, some "idoit" comes along and tries his damdest to discredit what you have done. Just what we want, Daily Mirror reporting!
To top it all, many who I thought were friends join in (some just to further their own interests).
What a situation!

Can I supply bits for the MBD Shannon?
Yes, of course I can and especially now I imagine, after the awful revelations in the press (which I personally do not believe for one minute).
I am still, if nothing else, a fellow modeller.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 21 queries.