Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ARS/BARS  (Read 1480 times)

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
ARS/BARS
« on: August 18, 2019, 01:11:04 am »

Back in the War, the US built around 17 ARS's, Auxiliary Rescue Salvage ships. They were 216'6" x 39', draft of 14'1" and a speed of 18 knots. Four were to be built for the Brits (BARS), but two of those were retained by the USN. The two that were delivered were transferred to the Australians, serving well, but were never commissioned as naval vessels. They later served as commercial tugs out of British Columbia. Three of the USN ships were eventually transferred to the US Coast Guard, with the last being decommissioned in May 1996, having been commissioned in 1944. 52 years of service, not bad.The class, named Diver, had many variants and the class was followed by the Bolster class which was outwardly identical, except for the beam which was increased to 43' 6", and the requisite increased displacement.My build uses a Bolster hull so it is actually 1" wider than it should be, but I challenge anyone to point out that difference when she is 40 feet out into the lake %%
Her power is two Johnson 970 direct drive motors which will easily pull a canoe with two fellows in it at several knots. certainly well in excess of a scale tow speed. She uses 2x12 amp/hr SLA batteries which gives her excessive run times.
Her starboard anchor is served by a beautiful German? made winch and her anchors were made by Shapeways, via 3D printing and lost wax casting.. the stud link anchor chain helps weight things down and the system is very functional.Harbor Models supplied their smoke unit, similar to those seen in other threads on this forum. Her radar is functional, but slow. During the War, these units revolved at 2-4 rpm. She is able to fight fires with her forward monitor which shoots about 8 feet. Her lights are all LED and I had to find a way to mount a red LED above a white one and have them both function independently. I did so by drilling the lower (white) LED and passing the upper LED's lead thru the lower one, being careful not to disturb the lower one's connections. It worked, although it is hard to see in photos.With the exception of the hull, and Shapeways fittings, she is pretty much scratch. Sadly there do not appear to be any plans retained of the original design, rather later variants are available. I was able to determine appropriate dimensions for installing structures by consulting plumbing and electrical plans, rather than General Arrangement plans. Similarly, the only rigging plan available is for the later variant ships which mounted one king post aft, rather than the two of the original design.I have yet to figure out where the excess wire rope for the booms was stowed when the booms were at rest. I coiled them on deck, but I am sure that is not correct.

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
Re: ARS/BARS
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 01:16:06 am »

A few more. She still needs some netting applied and her towing machine.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 02:52:19 am »

Very nice  :-))
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 10:39:32 am »

Very nice
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 11:06:55 am »

An unusual subject. You can be justifiably proud of your effort - she looks lovely.
Thanks for sharing  :-)

Regards,
Ray.

Akira

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2019, 12:42:28 pm »

Thank you all for your kind comments. On awakening this morning I realized that I had not mentioned her build scale, which is 1/48th, making her just a tad shy of 54". Still a tight fit for the workings.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 22 queries.