Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Multi ? Build  (Read 2909 times)

Flash22

Multi ? Build
« on: January 29, 2012, 02:54:47 pm »

Got this off ebay its in a bit of a mess not sure what it is yet but it had sgh marine stickers on it, the motor is a ops .40 with good compresion but it could do with a rebuild (£120 in parts alone)

I may convert it to electric i then have more places to run more of the time, drive is currently submerged i was thinking about going the surface route but it all comes down to money

click on the pics to see them bigger

MikeA

Re: Multi ? Build
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 03:50:50 pm »

hi flash welcome to the forum just had a nose through your new found collection of boats. This looks like an FSRV race boat, could be wrong though.  :P

Flash22

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2012, 05:02:54 pm »

thanks for the reply, been working on the boat today trying to work out why its so heavy....................

2kg lead weight in the stern and a 1" deep of body filler 12" long

Got to take out the prop shaft as it more worn than i thought got to dig all that filler out to get at it, I can see a a few hull repairs coming

gwa84

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2012, 06:05:54 pm »

hi and welcome to the forum the boat is a FSRV multi boat and is supposed to have conventional drive not sure haw well serfice drive would work on a multi boat these boats where designed primeraly for cornering speed as they tend to do ther serkits flat out without slowing for the corner the weight in the boat could of been to correct some instability problems maybe had to big an engine in her overpowering the hull good luck with it ime sure there will be more info coming soon  :-))

just an idea of what these boats do  :-))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qRq7n-0Bow

MikeA

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 08:24:40 pm »

at a guess i reckon the additional ballast would probably be to bring it up to class regulation weight. Do you know how old the boat is?
It might still be within FSRV regulations.

gwa84

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 09:43:51 pm »

Flash22 you have a pm bud  :-))

Flash22

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 11:26:31 am »

The ops 40 is rear carb front exhaust. the engine mounts are cast alloy made be Weston but i cant find any info on this mount.

I think i may strip the hull and start again as the hull has lots of body filler

imo the hull maybe SHG marine laser its  just under 4ft with 18" beam or so

Flash22

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2012, 06:13:26 pm »

well todays efforts inc removing 2 tank supports and 3 engine mounts, what a pain thay had a layer of fibreglass with a ton of body filler what the mounts had sqidged into while wet what a mess, the body filler is porus so has taken up some mosture other part are rock hard either way its a mess

tomorrows job is to get the last mount out and cut, sand and obliterate  the rest of the filler

MikeA

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 12:58:05 am »

sounds like a right state :o

Flash22

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 01:14:19 pm »

A little update..........

finally started on stripping the hull out but turned into a nightmare the lead has now gone iam slowly removing all the damn body filler as a result i have put a quite a few holes in the hull but nothing a bit of chopped mat and resin wouldnt cure

still got all the filler where the front mounts where to remove and tidy is all up

gwa84

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 03:09:14 pm »

not to bad underneathe like you sead nothing a bit of fibre wont sort

Flash22

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2012, 06:17:29 pm »

The inside is now glassed (run out of resin) the hull botton has been filled flatted and filled again but needs flatting again

Got a feelng this is going to be a long project, new brushless motor, mount and esc, custom motor cooling

120-140A esc should do the trick with a 2-3000kv 48-70 motor

The ops .40 will get a full clean once i get the flywheel off with a puller (hopefully be borrowing a puller tomorrow) that will go up for sale with the pipe and the weston engine mount  ok2

gwa84

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2012, 08:12:41 pm »

let me know haw much for the engine bud could do with it for sper parts to sort mine out  :-))
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.084 seconds with 20 queries.