Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MS Tamar brushless motor + esc choice?  (Read 2190 times)

Scooby

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
MS Tamar brushless motor + esc choice?
« on: August 09, 2019, 05:24:09 pm »

Hi,

After quite a few years away from model boats I'm about to start building the MS Tamar kit.

I've searched through a lot of posts and general consensus seems to be that a pair of Overlander 3548/05 900Kv motors and Fusion Hawk BL 60A ESCs is the combination of choice for the 1/16 Tamar. Or would be is the Fusion Hawk hadn't become discontinued/unavailable. I've spent several days trying to figure out an alternative combination but with my limited knowledge of brushless motors I'm becoming increasingly less certain of the best way forward and some help would be really appreciated.

The first option would be to simply replace the Fusion Hawk's with a suitable equivalent but with the motor's 60A requirement the ESC choices seem limited. Most seem to be the more expensive water cooled variants. A lot of the rest seem to lack the necessary forward/reverse option. 

The alternative option may be to replace the 3548's with say the Overlander 3536/08 1050 Kv. With the lower current rating (30A) that would potentially give a greater choice of ESC (for example, the Mtroniks tio Marine 30). But I'm unclear on what the impact would be on the performance. I'm looking for realistic scale speed but still to get the bow planing.

Is there a third option?

Originally I had planned on running these with a pair of 9.6v NiMh battery packs and a pair of 40mm 4 blade props (again, general consensus suggests that's a good choice).

Thanks in advance for any help

Steve

ajb63

• Full Mayhemer
Re: MS Tamar brushless motor + esc choice?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 05:20:31 pm »

Hi Steve
This is what l am running my Slipway Tamar on.
Overland Tornado Thumper 1050kv motors.[/size]Hobbyking Brushless car ESC 60A with reverse HK-60ARaboesch Bow Thruster 19mm 108-022 Turnigy 3S lipo batteries.
Needed advice myself as new nothing about RC boats, so took advice from other members advice regarding set up.
Was advised to use lipos.
On the water it goes well over scale speed and planes.
Batteries can last over 90 minutes if running at sensible speed.
Boat still not finished.
Alan

McGherkin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 01:41:56 am »

You want to aim for a shaft speed of ~9000rpm. So...

You could have a 2S Lipo, a 1200+kV motor.
Or a 3S Lipo with a 810+kV motor.
Or a 4S Lipo with a 500+kV motor.

As long as the setup is rated to run at least ~300w per shaft you’ll be fine. 3S is probably the sweet spot.

I have the thumper 3542s with the hawk ESCs... it’s hilariously overkill even on 3S. I’ll ultimately run 4S, but purely for capacity rather than performance - I limit max throttle through my transmitter.

The 3536’s you posted will work absolutely fine, with a little extra RPM in the tank.

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 05:38:52 am »

Hi Scooby

Hobbyking Prop drive V2 3542 900kv(3s=9990 rpm,4S=13220rpm) 815Watts on 4S, shaft 5mm.
Hobbyking car ESCs HK60ASL or HK100A plus program card(HK Prog-Card).
Setup
1 Cutoff Voltage for 3S=10.2 and 4S=13.6
2 Start Power Percent=5%
3 Advance Timing=4
4 Run Mode=2
5 Brake Force=1
6 Drag Brake Force=1
7 Neutral Range=1
8 Initial Brake Force=1
9 Reverse Force=1

Canabus

Scooby

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 07:44:45 pm »

Thanks for the advice. Think that's got me headed in the right direction. Until my build inevitably goes pear shaped!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 22 queries.