Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.

Linked Events

• Mayhem at Wicksteed 2022: May 28, 2022 - May 29, 2022
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mayhem at Wicksteed 2022  (Read 62089 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Mayhem at Wicksteed 2022
« Reply #275 on: June 19, 2022, 04:18:24 pm »

Lovely SHG Shadow .... as noisy as mine was!   {-)
( https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/My_models/02%20shadow.htm )

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #276 on: June 19, 2022, 04:34:26 pm »

SHG Shadow Glow / IC

https://youtu.be/aRNpOswpzgw
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Circlip

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #277 on: June 20, 2022, 10:46:55 am »

Slo moes are really natural and anyone who has been on the canals will recognise the 'docking' antics of some. O0

Regards  Ian.
You might not like what I say, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong.

What I said is not what you  think you heard.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #278 on: June 20, 2022, 12:10:11 pm »

Just uploading a video ..... could anyone remind me details of this one please?

Vosper 72 feet-type class MTB 223

https://youtu.be/YTZD6UaBf3M

Via email to Mayhem ....

Martin, the Vosper is mine, I built it a couple of years ago and Wicksteed was its second time in the water, mainly because I wanted to try it in more open water, the size of the local canal basin being too restricted to allow it to turn round or open up.  I built it as a follow-up to my 1/12 scale scratch Whaleback, having enjoyed the experience of researching a WWII fast launch whose history seems to have been forgotten, producing a hard chine, double-diagonal planked hull and thinking of ways to produce such details as turret moulding. At the risk of boring you stiff, here is the full history:

Vosper Motor Torpedo Boat 233.
Built by Chris Ellis.

This 1/12 scale scratchbuilt model represents Vosper MTB 233 between launch in January of 1942 and April of 1943, under the command of Lt. Jamie L Fraser RNVR, who was killed in action against 3 German armed trawlers off the Hook of Holland on the night of 18th April 1943.
This boat sailed with the 21st MTB Flotilla out of HMS Beehive (Felixstowe), CO Captain Peter Dickens DSO, MBE, DSC, the great grandson of Charles Dickens. See Ref.1.
This boat was one of the first Vosper series to be equipped with three Packard V12 marine engines of 1250 HP each (no, not Merlins), plus two Ford V8 engines for silent running at 6 knots.  The Packards gave a performance of 38.9 knots at 2400 rev/min or 35.9 knots continuously at 2200 rev/min.  Carrying 2683 gallons of 100 octane petrol in two main tanks, the range was up to 400 miles at 20 knots.  Overall displacement was 47 tons, 55 tons wet with all armaments.
Vosper, under the Chief Engineer Peter DuCane, designed and built the so-called 70’ MTB just before WW II, but in fact the boat hulls were 70’6” long and revised to 71’0” in 1941. Including the 18” diameter anti-cavitation plates above each propeller, the overall length was actually 72’6”.  Boat 233 was built under licence and Vosper control by Berthon Boat Company at Lymington.  Originally the design included two transom-mounted rudders and a keel mounted fixed fin, but early in their service, all boats were retro-fitted with a third, central rudder to improve the turning circle, especially at high speed.
Armament:  2 x 21” torpedo tubes fired by explosive charge (fired at a boat speed of 12 knots), 2 x 0.5” Vickers water-cooled machine guns (700 rounds/min each) in a Vickers MkV hydraulic turret, 2 x 0.303” Lewis machine guns, CSA (chloro-sulphonic acid) smoke generator, 2 x standard RN depth charges.        Although up to 8 depth charges could be carried, their combined weight adversely affected trim, so only 2 were usually carried, to be dropped in the path of pursuing enemy vessels, usually during hasty retreats!
Until July of 1943, 233 was painted overall grey, but during a refit it was repainted in the Peter Scott designed dazzle camouflage and a 20mm Oerlikon cannon was added to the foredeck.
Boat 233 completed War service mainly in the North Sea and was disposed of in June of 1945.

The model:
This was built with nominal reference to a 1/24 semi-scale Model Boat/John Lambert design, but accurate detail, enough to redraw the main frames, photographs and Vosper drawings were obtained from Ref.2.
The hull is planked with scale mahogany planks (1050) over ply frames.  Power is supplied by 3 x 380kV 5060 brushless motors running at 25 volts, giving an overall output of just under 2.5 kW.
Every detail of the boat is scratch built with the exception of the gun bodies which are 3D printed by Shapeways.
At 72.5” long the model weighs 26 kg overall, including 8.6 kg of lead ballast and 2 kg of LiPos to achieve the correct waterline.  The only drawback to such a large model is transportation and launching!
Built October 2019 to July 2020.

Chris.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #279 on: June 21, 2022, 06:36:54 pm »

Mayhem at Wicksteed 2022 - Lots more Boats! (v2)

https://youtu.be/icPIAzzbhHE

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #280 on: August 12, 2022, 06:50:35 pm »

HMS Blackwater M2008

https://youtu.be/pQoQ0jrf1L0

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #281 on: August 26, 2022, 08:02:14 pm »

HMS ACTIVE F171 | Type 21 Frigate:
  https://youtu.be/C-NsGC-GYp8

Beagle1831

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #282 on: August 26, 2022, 08:16:33 pm »

Great models - was good to speak to the builder of HMS Active at the Mayhem Weekend. Bring on 2023!
Work in progress and RN history on Instagram @beagleshipmodels
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 22 queries.