Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Transporting Sails  (Read 3222 times)

Tobermory

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Transporting Sails
« on: August 14, 2019, 09:23:10 pm »

What sort of carriers do members use to keep the sails of their yachts safe while they are being transported in their cars?

RMH

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Transporting Sails
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 10:05:31 pm »

Hi
It depends on what sort of yacht you are talking about. You could build a box for them or for an easier option I use one of these http://www.sailsetc2.com/store/index.php/products-by-class/international-one-metre-class/sails/rig-bags/rig-transport-bags-iom.html
Richie

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 10:00:52 am »

As Richie, says depends also on what car they will be carried in. Most of the guys in our club 1 mtr class
Use plywood (RIGID)cases and they mostly drive SUVs or estate cars so they have no packing probs.
A few others use the plastic covers stated on Richie,s answer to your question, they are flexible and
Lighter than a sail box.
I have always made a sail box for my 3 sets of sails for 1 meter and use 1" elastic stretched over to
Keep them neat and tidy. I also made pockets in the case for the rudder and small tools needed
To rig the boat.
John

Tobermory

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 03:19:04 pm »

Thank you for that advice. Will see what spare plywood and bracing I have here and endeavour to put together something suitable.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2019, 06:00:17 am »

You could also look at using some fluted plastic to make the box. Much lighter than ply. You can sometimes recover/recycle from supermarket skips. You can usually buy it from office or art supply shops. https://www.amazon.co.uk/White-Correx-Fluted-Corrugated-Plastic/dp/B075CRD1WQ/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=corrugated+plastic&qid=1566017880&s=gateway&sr=8-5
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 21 queries.