Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Two receivers on one Tx?  (Read 2079 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Two receivers on one Tx?
« on: August 18, 2019, 06:25:40 pm »

From Facebook...

Hi guys,
Is it possible to bind two receivers to the same transmitter for use at the same time? So one stick movement, would result in replicated movement on two seperate systems.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1904033879845264/permalink/2428118327436814/
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Two receivers on one Tx?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 06:44:10 pm »

Is that the right question to ask? It would be more helpful if the enquirer could explain what they are trying to do.Colin

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 06:46:32 pm »

Never mind the theory or the reasons why anyone would want to do this - there's only one way to find out, MD. If no-one else can be bothered then I might just try it.
DaveM

Netleyned

• Full Mayhemer
    • cleethorpes mba
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 06:47:25 pm »

I seem to recall that the late
Tug Kenny ran two Springers on two
Giant Cod 2g4 receivers from
a Radio link Tx. I don't recall how it
panned out.
Ned
Smooth seas never made skilful sailors
Up Spirits  Stand fast the Holy Ghost.
http://www.cleethorpesmba.co.uk/

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 07:17:15 pm »

The simplest answer for most sets is yes. If the Tx doesn't have model match then every receiver sees the Tx in the same way. One problem can be if the Tx is a more complex type with telemetry as only one receiver can have telemetry or it confuses the Tx. e.g. Hitec must have just one Optima (or Maxima) Rx and any others must be Minima (with no telemetry). FrSky needs one of the receivers set to non telemetry when binding.

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2019, 07:18:13 pm »

You couldn't synchronise two boats by that method as they would quickly get out of step due to wave and wind infludence.

I can't see any technical reason why it shouldn't work though. That's why I was interested in the proposed application.

Colin

Allnightin

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2019, 08:56:10 pm »

I converted two Revell tugs to RC with an R610 type cheap 2.4 GHz Rx in each and one being controlled by the left stick and the other the right stick of my Spectrum DX4e Tx so that I could move a 1/100th scale Phoenix Caisson (as per Mulberry Harbour) around the pool.   It worked fine just needed more power and less wind!

I could have had both tugs being controlled by the same stick if I wanted but then I wouldn't have had much control at all apart from going forwards or backwards.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2019, 09:33:00 pm »

I'm sure I saw an article somewhere whereby a guy had 2 tugs towing a jack-up rig AND the rig legs were r/c controlled as well - all from one transmitter  :o
Wish I could remember where I saw it...

Regards,
Ray.

Umi_Ryuzuki

• Full Mayhemer
    • Models and Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2019, 03:33:27 am »

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2019, 05:54:38 am »

You couldn't synchronise two boats by that method as they would quickly get out of step due to wave and wind infludence.

Add to that the different turning circles for two boats to stay in parallel.

As someone has already said, it depends on what you want to do. I have seen this question posed before, and on both occasions it was about sailing boats in synch.
The Mulberry Harbour makes a nice exception, but only because the two tugs are physically connected. However you would get a huge turning circle.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2019, 08:40:59 am »

My Tamar ran 3 receivers off one transmitter, but only one controlled the boat's movement.  The second provided control of the cabin's features - radar, hinged mast and whip aerials etc.  The 3rd managed the winch and servos that provided " hands free " slipway launch and recovery of the boat.
Receivers are so cheap now that it is simpler than providing a reliable connection between the hull and the detachable cabin.

In my new Shannon I use a Taranis with 2 receivers working in 16 channel mode, it makes programming easier and provides independent port and starboard systems.
We did try pusher tugs working off one transmitter, but never repeated that experiment.

Buccaneer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2019, 12:34:02 pm »

I run a Futaba 6EX 2.4GHz Transmitter and fit the same receiver to all my boats. Four of them are fitted to run 1 Prop and a rudder and a couple have horn and lights added as well. The same function is always fitted to the same channel number however. I switched three of them on in the workshop, pushed the throttle lever forward, and all three motors ran as expected. The rudders all turned as well.

This backed up my thinking that any receiver bonded to a given transmitter will operate whatever is fitted to a given channel on any receivers within range. Where that gets you however I have no idea!

John

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2019, 12:39:26 pm »

A bit more complicated if you have Spectrum or FrSky with model match if you have set each model on a different memory. FrSky does allow you to set the id to a number on binding so you can have several receivers on the same id.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.116 seconds with 22 queries.