Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Camera Battery  (Read 1752 times)

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Camera Battery
« on: August 17, 2019, 04:09:46 am »

Following is a note I penned to my Brother in Law who is a Digital Camera aficionado of sorts

Dear Benny………………I was experiencing issues [conductivity or low voltage?] with my Lumix camera battery…………

It was confirming the nominated ~~ 3.65 Vdc after charge, however the camera continued to shut down without warning I suspected voltage OK but low current capacity causing the shut down

Sourced a replacement battery for $22 including postage, so thought that was a good investment….detail as attached and about 1/3 of the OEM price The internals of the camera have 3 spring loaded contacts to match the battery contact pads……

I pondered on the conductivity….and glued a small section of 0.8 mm plasticised folded paper to the base of the battery & hey presto……issue solved The new battery functions without issue, the old battery with the + 08 mm height now works without issue  This leads me to think the original battery has shrunk!.... {-) no?.......the block dimensions between the two batteries are identical

I have no  answer, however you may wish to keep the source of the replacements for Lumix

It is interesting that the original is shown as 3.7V and 1000mA/h, and the replacement 3.6V and 850 mA……however I cannot explain the conductivity or low voltage? issue

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
Re: Camera Battery
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2019, 05:08:55 am »

My Lumix has a little clip to hold the battery in place.   Not very strong so has yours broken.   There is also a spring arrangement on the battery compartment lid which might have fallen off?

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2019, 05:54:20 am »

Springs get compressed over time.
Another thought. Have you tried using contact cleaner?
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2019, 05:55:18 am »

No, neither of the above Brian

1. the case lid has a small stainless steel spring finger ...that is totally intact
2. next to the USB card slot there is a plastic release button for the battery......it too is totally intact
3. the battery rests against 3 copper spring fingers....again totally intact....

Quite a mystery as to why the addition of the 0.8 mm thick packer superglued to the base of the battery eliminate the camera shut down

All horses for courses O0 the camera is a DMC TZ 11...new in 2010?............have taken 1000's of quality images for my work prior to retirement ....sort of hoping it will stay functional & see me out

Derek

PS... for TT ......yes, considered loss of spring tension/height & hence the 0.8 mm packer, & the immediate resolution of the fault however the new battery with the identical block dimension without any packer functions OK.......the contacts in the old battery are not depressed, tried a dielectric spray on the old battery as a first check......all a mystery

Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2019, 07:18:57 am »

I've got a Lumix too - I'm betting on the spring contacts as gravity pulls the battery away from the contacts in use.    That, combined with a tiny bit of dirt or corrosion will be all that's needed to make the camera glitch out.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2019, 09:59:05 am »

Metal to metal contacts, whether sliding or simple face to face, reqire enough tension to either scrape surface muck off or press through it.  The surface muck does not have t be visible, just enough molecues of thickness to insulate against the low voltages involved.  The padding has provided the extra force, a go with contact cleaner will do no harm at all.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2019, 06:41:52 am »

I had the same problem with an Apple wireless mouse, kept on loosing battery contact. Finally solved it with a cotton wool bud and Isopropanol on the battery contacts.
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2019, 07:51:48 am »

mmmmm........this was my first attempt  O0 to resolve the issue......without success >>:-( .....Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2019, 11:08:57 am »

Did it involve the camera contacts as well?  OK using one wet bud for all of the contacts, important to go through at least a fresh dry area of bud or a fresh bud when trying to get rid of any re-arranged residue to prevent residue from one place being re-applied elsewhere.  Isopropyl alcohol doesn't destroy the muck, it just turns it into a slurry until such time as the alcohol evaporates, when the hope is that what muck is left is somewhere harmless, either flushed away, on the drying bud or off to the side.
Gold plated contacts usually need very little contact pressure as gold is extremely resistant to reacting with anything that is airbourne, so any poor contact must be the result of a layer having been deposited. 
As a side note, there was a batch of reed relay inserts that had a high failure rate.  It was traced to the manufacturer having used an unplated vessel to melt the gold that the reeds were to be dipped in.  The resulting gold plating contained impurities, enough to affect contact performance even though they were operating in an atmosphere of (probaly) pure nitrogen.
If the packing pece works, one of two things, either the contact pressure has been increased, or the contacts have been moved to a place where they make contact.  Three things.  The increase in pressure "might" be causing a poor connection elsewhere to make, either in the battery or camera, but probably inside the battery.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2019, 12:04:38 pm »

Malcolm... etall.......I did not see any apparent residue on the cotton tip when first washed the battery contacts with the ISOprop......nor did I see any evidence of contaminate on the 3 delicate internal battery finger contacts

On closer inspection, the individual 3 contacts on each battery are not just plain brass/copper/gold shim, but the is a clear matrix of a squared pattern beneath the surface of each PC board surface.......or a conductive plate under each surface

So after ~~ 8 years I accept a change in mechanical/electrical jointing has been the issue and also as such the 0.8mm thick spaced has changed the electrical contact geometry

I suspect the the 3 delicate internal battery finger contacts [/size]are of a bronze base material as they appear to have maintained the apparent harder material contact between the finger contacts & the battery contact surfaces

Considering the issue, I more than happy......a spare battery, both function & some $400.00 not spent  O0

Derek
Derek Warner

Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.