Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: TLC for an old Lady  (Read 13141 times)

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
Re: TLC for an old Lady
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2019, 07:38:57 am »

have you considered that snooker cues are already made with a nice taper and the join? parts of them must be nearly the right dimensions.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2019, 09:02:30 am »

Hello Jim, I have an old two part mast which looks as if it was turned on a lathe and drilled for 3/16ths  at one end and the other with a wood spiggot in the other about 1 1/2 inches long and they plug together.  Doing it these days I would drill both ends as before and use a good piece of pine dowel as the locating piece.
If the mast is too slim then use a brass screw with a good clear shank, not a modern one with thread all the way up.  Drill and fit in one end of the mast and then cut the head off with a saw and you have a strong joining piece.  You can also use this idea to locate the base of the mast into the keel.

I expect I shall use this mast for refurbishing a 36R but will find a thin wall brass tube to overlap the join and use a brass pin to hold it in place.
By the way do you know how to do 'Whipping'?  This is that tightly wound string or cord wound around spars to strengthen areas where there are screw fittings.  It is very easy to do and I use it a lot, as it secures the cord without using a knot.

If you have an old fashioned potato peeler with a wood handle and metal cutter, the string handle is whipped in place.

I also use cocktail sticks as nails into wood.  I drill a tight hole through the two parts and then coat the cocktail stick with glue and knock it in with a hammer and slice off the wood protuding.  You may have to trim the cocktail stick first of course, but you do not notice the 'nail' especially after varnishing.  They can also be used to fill unwanted holes in deck and mast.

If you pin through thin planks to hold them in place while the glue dries, when you remove the pins afterwards there is a hole.  If you put a drop of water over the hole left by the pin and give it a while the wood will swell up to fill the hole, as the pin compressed the wood as it went in and the water lets it expand again.

All the best
Roy

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2019, 09:42:14 am »

Great ideas coming up on this thread. All being noted for future reference.
Thanks to all the contributors  :-)

Regards,
Ray.

JimS59

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2019, 07:36:42 am »

Hi Roy,
They are helpful suggestions I think that I will be employing a few of them. :-))  I have never done whipping, so will have to swat up on that. It is briefly mentioned in the book by Daniel's, but not how it's done. {:-{

Hi Grendal, that's not a bad thought, I will have a look on the net for the average sizes of snooker cues. :-))

And in anticipation of the arrival of the finishing resin, I started to make a hull template for the fibreglass using left over bubble wrap, that should help me get a better fit when it comes to putting it on.

Gareth, when you fibreglassed the Spindrift. Did you come up and over the gunnel or did you glass to deck level?

Regards
Jim

garethjones35

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2019, 05:13:29 pm »

Hi Jim,

We normally apply the glass cloth after the deck has been fixed.  The cloth and resin then cover the edge of the deck and the joint between it and the hull.  This gives a neater finish and seals the deck/hull joint.  You need to mask off the top surface of the deck to avoid getting any resin on it or cloth stuck to it.  Its easy to trim off the surplus cloth with a sharp knife once the resin has hardened.

If you are going to apply the cloth in two halves, as it appears from your cut out pattern, don't forget to allow a couple of inches overlap where the two pieces meet and an overlap along the deck edge.  We usually tack the overlap along the deck edge on to the masked off deck with a few pieces of masking tape to stop it sliding around or getting in the way.

Regards
Gareth

JimS59

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2019, 02:44:33 pm »

Hi All,
After giving The Lady Edith a coat of varnish and leaving it to cure, I found the varnish to have been contaminated, more than likely with dust, so I had to sand down the hull again.
And after meeting and chatting to Gareth and his wife Elizabeth, I wont be re-attempting the hull for a time. So I started to construct the new gunnels and sub deck, the gunnels were milled down from mahogany strips, given a good soaking for several hours then clamped in place over night.
The next day they were ready to fix to The Lady Edith. I must say there were some slight gaps in places were the gunnels meet the hull as she is not totally symmetrical, however I dont see it being a big problem to fix with some fine slithers of mahogany. :}
The mounting for the winch servo have been made and the rudder servo box is still under construction  :-)
The sub deck has been roughly cut out and should fit snuggly with a wee bit of sanding here and there.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2019, 07:54:06 am »

Hi we are off to Black Park today to sail, that is Theresa and me!  I do not take her out very often so she appreciates the attention.
She is nearly 60 years old but I say her beauty will never age.
More on the refurbishing if wanted.
regards
Roy

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2019, 08:03:51 am »

Hi I should add that Theresa is 41 inches loa and then there is a 6 inch bowsprit (47 total) and she is 48 inches keel to top of mast.  I am hoping she will fit in my car fully rigged as it takes ages to rig her.  The sail winch is original, so over 50 years old!
regards
Roy

JimS59

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2019, 08:23:32 am »

Hi Roy, Theresa is a very fine looking Lady, and I hope you enjoy your day sailing. You never know maybe one day we could meet up for a days sailing when The Lady Edity is afloat.
Would it be possible for you to 5ake a closeup photo of her sail winch please.  :-)
Regards Jim
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.