Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > Other Technical Questions...

welders

(1/3) > >>

cos918:
Hi allNeed some advice . I am looking to make a frame up using 20mm by 20mm box steel. about 6m length . Cost about £35ish. I need to buy a welder. I am looking at the Mig welder route .Used one years ago.
Looking in tool station and Machine mart I see there are two types . Gas and Gasless which apear to be cheaper. The welding metal on a spool I see breakes down in to two types as far as I can see. type 1 which is used with a gas machine price low type two used with a non gas machine flux coated expensive.Apart from cost is there any major pros and cons of each system ?any info I should note?
John

coch y bonddu:
Gas less Mig welders are simply PANTS ....dont waste your money on them buy a proper one and get along to your nearest pub and ask them nicely if they will lend you a Co2 bottle and simply buy a Regulator for it....far stronger and reliable welds....I weld on a daily basis as well as Spraying

Dave

cos918:
Hi Dave
been looking on You tube at diffrent videos . Question some welders saw Gas / Gasless does this mean they can run both?
John

malcf:
Hi John some are advertised as both but the pipe and regulator and gas bottle are an optional extra, I would go for the gas one  as trust me the gasless are not worth the effort ugly weld and loads of weld spatter, the disposable gas canisters work out expensive so if you can opt for a regulator and proper gas bottle a lot of welding suppliers now have gas bottles for you to put down a deposit on and then just pay for the gas when it is empty but the downside is the initial deposit pub co2 is the easiest if you know an obliging landlord.

portside II:
Get a stick welder and have some fun, i have had mig in both gas and gasless, true the gasless is very rough and expensive, but gas wire is cheap but requires the gas to sheild the arc.
However stick is a simple form of welding, and if you get an invertor welder then its much more mobile, my leads weigh more than my welder, and a pack of rods are inexpensive.daz

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version