Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Huntsman 28 riding white horses in Birkenhead!  (Read 3945 times)

red181

• Full Mayhemer
Huntsman 28 riding white horses in Birkenhead!
« on: August 20, 2019, 05:46:52 pm »

not as glamorous as Cowes, but still fun., Gautby lake, Birkenhead!

After two years sitting in its box, todays weather was perfect, sunny, warm, and windy! I recently inherited two huge 8000mah 6 cell lipo packs, as the Huntsman runs on 6 cells, a 3 cell pack either side of the motor, I thought it would be a good idea to try these big packs in her.

One doesn't fit in the motor compartment, so it had to go in the cabin, making it a bit bow heavy, until the speed is up. I sold most of my boats, as I'm into rc planes now, but kept 3. One has sentimental value, One is my all time fav movie boat, and this, I can't part with this, it makes me smile! I love accurate scale, and I love speed, this boat ticks both! :-))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4OQbqIByw0&feature=youtu.be

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Huntsman 28 riding white horses in Birkenhead!
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 06:21:42 pm »

Most impressive Andy. I can fully appreciate why you're not going to part with it  :-)

Regards,
Ray.

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 11:45:14 am »

Thanks Ray,

yes I don't think any value would prise this away, not sure who Andy is though!

Paul!

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 11:50:31 am »

not sure who Andy is though!

Paul!

Oops, yet another senior moment  {-) :embarrassed:

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 10:57:39 pm »

Goes well Paul. One of the Faireys you don't see very often. I'm currently scratch building one at 1:12 so a bit smaller than yours.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 09:33:28 am »

I think that's Linzi Lou , AND it's geared down belt drive  %%  too big and fast for our lake at New Brighton . . .
I'd have to be left some money , to get those Nano-Tech Lipo's . . . They are PRICEY  O0
Bill

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2019, 01:57:16 pm »

Hi bill!
Yes they are a small fortune. I got 3 for £30 brand new earlier this year! I think they are more than double that each when new so a great bargain. Sold one to fund another rc project then wondered how they would be In the huntsman.
Quite heavy and one has to go in the cabin shifting the cog forward but it seems fine! Sorry I sold one now as 3 would be nice to have
Still got the same ratio on the gearbox if I was sailing regularly at NB I would gear it down it's so easy to
 do, that would give better acceleration slower speed
Paul

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2019, 02:00:40 pm »

Hi Chris
Yes you don't see the 28 that often most are the 31 with aft cabin
28 and huntress made famous in the bond movie and in the cowes cross channel races of the 60's and seventies

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2019, 03:04:47 pm »

A Huntsman 31 at 1:12 (I'm building them all the same scale) is on my build list and I've started the drawings ready for the winter. I've already got a Huntress, built by Dave M, and as well as the H28 I'm building a Fairey River Cruiser and a Swordsman 33 and other Faireys are in the pipeline!

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

imsinking

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2019, 03:10:13 pm »

A Huntsman 31 at 1:12 (I'm building them all the same scale) is on my build list and I've started the drawings ready for the winter. I've already got a Huntress, built by Dave M, and as well as the H28 I'm building a Fairey River Cruiser and a Swordsman 33 and other Faireys are in the pipeline!

Chris
Hmm, this sounds like a serious FAIREY adiction , all is not lost treatment is available . . . %%
Bill

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2019, 08:58:12 pm »

Yes Bill it is!

I'm taking medication for it at the moment, it's a red liquid and comes in bottles!

Chris

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2020, 02:05:42 pm »

I appreciate I'm a little late to join the party, but I also have a huge admiration of the Fairey brand of boats.
An Uncle had two Faireys, an aft cabin Huntsman31 named SOU and a Super Swordsman 33 named SOU TOO.
My Father and his Brother used to take both boats back to Fairey for servicing and any work, a good run from the Milford Haven Waterway in Pembrokeshire, all the way to the Hamble.

I have one of the common 31 aft cabin models that I bought in need of some tlc (it's still awaiting that same tlc), but my intention is to alter it from aft cabin, to aft cockpit, as I think it's a nicer looking design personally. After I (eventually) get this one done, I would love to build both a 28 and a Swordsman/Super Swordsman to make more of a collection.

So how is everyone's Fairey builds coming along? In progress, complete, or not started (like me)

Will
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
42" Veron Fairey Huntsman 28 x2
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
34" Precedent Fairey Huntsman 31 x3
34" Aerokits Sea Commander x2
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
20" Aerokits Fast Patrol Boat
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2020, 02:45:38 pm »

Apologies, Sou Too was a Swordsman, not a Super Swordsman.
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2020, 05:29:44 pm »

Hi Will

Never too late to join the Fairey party, so welcome.

Despite continuing with the medication (see earlier posts) and sometimes increasing the dose, my condition has got worse!

I've got 5 builds on the go at the moment and another 2 lined up. I agree with you about the Huntsman 31 full open cockpit or Sport as it's called. With the sleek hull it looks great. I started building mine as a Sport but then decided as I'd recently sold my big 47" H31 and already have or am building a number of full cockpit models to convert it to the aft cockpit version. I may build a Sport in the future though. I'll post my line drawing up.

What size is your Huntsman?

Chris

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2020, 05:39:17 pm »

Hi Chris,

I'm not at the point of needing medication for my Fairey addiction quite yet (Saab addiction, maybe).
Mine is a wooden hulled 47" (or there abouts).
I can't remember off hand if it's a complete lift off superstructure, or just cabin roofs. I Think Complete from memory, so that would make it a Phil Connolly version instead of President, is that correct?
[/size]5 on the go eh, wow. Enough to keep you occupied for a weekend or two %)

To me, the aft cabin versions always look very heavy and although Sou was an aft cabin (not that i remember her, I've only seen pictures and did see her in the marina at Cowes a couple of times), I've always thought the aft cockpit version look nicer and better balanced.

Yeah, I'd love to see you progress sometime/whenever. I'm trying to work my way through all of the Fairey posts on here, just to see who's doing what etc.

Will
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2020, 05:55:49 pm »

Hi Will

At that size, as was the one I had, it will be a Precedent kit at 1:8 and have the full lift off superstructure. On another thread is a photo of  the one I owned but now with a brushless motor and it looks very nice on the water. The Sport is sleeker though and was primarily built for racing as most owners would want the extra accommodation of the aft cabin version.

The Philip Connolly version was drawing only and smaller at 1:12.

My line drawing of the Sport I produced for my intended build:

madwelshman

• Learning all the time.
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Fairey Marine Fanatic
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2020, 06:21:53 pm »

Ah right, I wasn't sure which it was for definite.
I bought it from a chap I used to work with. It needs a few repairs and previously had ic power, but I intend going brushless, same with my Perkasa, but that still has the 22cc Kawasaki strimmer engine that my Dad and I fitted when I was a sprog.

I didn't realise that the Phil Connolly version was smaller.

The Sport/aft cockpit version definitely looks nicer, in my opinion. Hopefully it won't be too big a task to modify mine from cabin to cockpit.
49" Precedent Perkasa
46" Aerokits Sea Queen
34" Lesro Sportsman mk1
29" Aerokits Sea Rover
16" Aerokits Sea Urchin
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 21 queries.