Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rough day for a Baptism (Hastings Shanon)  (Read 2986 times)

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Rough day for a Baptism (Hastings Shanon)
« on: August 20, 2019, 07:35:17 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viwaDLdcLsw

If it has been posted before, sorry.
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

philk

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Rough day for a Baptism (Hastings Shanon)
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 08:18:10 pm »

good job nobody drowning lots of faffing

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
  • I spend far too much time on Model Boats Mayhem!
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 11:28:23 am »

Moderated - Admin

.......  The reaction to this video has been extraordinary, normally my videos get 1 or 2 hundred views, but this one is certainly going to pass a million views. This wasn’t an emergency, it was a demonstration, and they took their time to achieve a safe launch due to the weather conditions.

Charlie

good job nobody drowning lots of faffing

Footski

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 01:20:30 pm »

Good video, but it did seem to take a long time, accepting that is was only a demonstration. Practice should improve it somewhat.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 10:13:55 pm »

That thing certainly can launch is shallow waters... imprssivly so!     %)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 09:27:23 am »

I assume that launching into a heavy sea like that involves getting out as far as the waves will allow without flooding the launch tractor, waiting for the wave to lift the bow then gunning the engines and dropping the keel support all at the right time . A delicate piece of orchestration . It would suggest that the conditions on that day were about the limit for launching from that beach.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2019, 11:21:34 am »

It would suggest that the conditions on that day were about the limit for launching from that beach.

What happens then?   {:-{
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
  • I spend far too much time on Model Boats Mayhem!
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2019, 12:37:23 pm »

Don't worry, they can launch in all weather conditions, that is why it is called an All-Weather Lifeboat :-))
The previous Mersey Class lifeboat occasionally had to launch into a F12, which is much worse than what is shown in the video.

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2019, 01:05:21 pm »

Would be interesting to know if the Hastings boat made recovery to that beach in those conditions or if it laid up at Eastbourne station till things quietened down

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2019, 04:55:56 pm »

Or did they do it like This   ?       https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBcTXJ7UGVg

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2019, 05:41:08 pm »

I may be wrong but I think that's the norm for the Shannons. I've seen this a few times at Scarborough and also a few videos on YouTube they seem to get it as far up the beach as possible then it's recovered by the SLARS. No propellers or rudders to damage.

RST

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2019, 06:48:44 pm »

That was a bit of an anti-climax having eventually seen the video LoL.  Might be a bit deceptive on a PC screen.  Why did they zig-zag a bit before launch though?  I never realise the boats slipped off like that.  Always thought they'd float off but I guess if they did the boat might bounce everywhere?  It's so long since I saw a launch -and it was always down the full sliding splipway.

I take my hat off to anyone in RNLI, or helicopter pilots offshore!  Been stuck out in some pretty bad chop before, often long after all the other DSV's were tucked up in port.  When you've worked at sea I think you have a bit better appreciation for what it's like, and hope to heck you never meet a lifeboat or winchman for real!

Nobody should expect training or demos to be performed in real life "chop".  Back in the day we used to do our survival training with the waves machines on, the lights out, thunder and ligntning and an instructor turning a fire hose on you.  Made it much more fun trying to turn a big liferaft over the right way!  You're only in the pool for 10 mins each time now and you're pretty much walked through it, it's really dumbed down now -like the fire training.  Not allowed singed eyebrows and peeling tips of your ears these days!

Rich

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2019, 07:10:26 pm »

Back in 2009 I visited RNLI HQ at Poole on behalf of Model Boats magazineand a fascinating visit included the sea survival practical course.

My subsequent description was as below.

Colin

Sea survival course

The training pool looks similar to a largish swimming pool at first sight except that it has a constant depth, but initial appearances can be deceiving. The first training session used a B class RIB, Gordon Mote, and my viewpoint was from above on the mezzanine gallery. The three trainee crew, comprising both men and women, together with their instructor were positioned in the middle of the pool with a line to an overhead hoist and the engines were started. Two other safety staff took position at the side of the pool. Then the sea began to get up as a powerful wavemaking machine was switched on. Night descended in the form of a blackout curtain across the glass facade of the pool area and by extinguishing the lights. Peals of thunder boomed out and strobes simulated flashes of lightning. Gusts of rain filled wind from fans and sprays further reduced visibility. By now, all you could see was the boat being thrown about in the light of the strobe flashes and the illusion of a dark and stormy night was pretty much complete. At this point the tethering line was reeled in to capsize the boat throwing the crew into the water beneath it! For quite a while nothing appeared to happen, the crew remaining beneath the boat and breathing the trapped air within the hull. Then one by one, helmeted heads began to appear swimming to the stern of the inverted lifeboat. The self righting buoyancy bag carried on the frame at the stern of the boat was triggered and the B Class heaved itself back onto an even keel. The crew clambered back aboard and at once began the procedure for restarting the outboards which are specially adapted to survive inversion and total immersion. With everyone safely back on board, the Gordon Mote was ready to resume her mission, the seas died down, dawn broke and the storm faded away.

A short while later a second session took place and this time we were able to watch from below the surface through viewing windows in the side of the pool. The apparent initial chaos of eight kicking legs quickly resolved itself into disciplined action which quickly had the boat righted again. I came away deeply impressed with the realism of the exercise and the professionalism of those undertaking it.

Other survival scenarios can also be set up, including helicopter recovery, and the facility is also hired out to film makers when not required for training purposes so realistic are the weather conditions which can be reproduced – you can’t really use the word simulated!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 22 queries.