Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Aeronaut Pilot boat build  (Read 11041 times)

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Aeronaut Pilot boat build
« on: August 20, 2019, 10:33:01 pm »

My next build is going to be the Aeronaut Pilot boat.
Before I start just a little of the backstory of why I chose this boat.

A few weeks ago I finished my Tyne Class lifeboat (the build to this is in the lifeboat section of this forum). I took it to show my father and he expressed an interest in me building a boat for him (just just for display) the only requirement being it had to be bright  in colour and be able to add plenty of lights. But he didn't want a lifeboat. It was whilst on holiday on the East Coast that I called into Croppers models on Bridlington on on the shelf he had the perfect candidate the Aeronaut Pilot boat , bright being orange and with the scope to add plenty of lights .
So on with the build. This isn't going to be a step by step build ( that has already been done 
on this forum) I will just post pictures of my progress and a bit of explaining what I've done.
More to follow when I get a bit further.

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Aeronaut Pilot boat build
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 12:52:39 am »

In the box you get several laser cut sheets of ABS in various thicknesses, 1 bag of fittings and 1 with the prop shafts, 3 bags containing preformed nickel silver guard rails, laser cut windows, decals, a wooden stand, Deprom jig for making sure the keel and frames are aligned correctly and a very nice etched nickel silver fret containing window frames etc.

The first thing to do was separate the keel and frames from their sheets and cleaned up ,due to the laser cutting process there is a slight lip on each of the pieces which was removed with a flat file.
The frames were then placed in the jig and the keel inserted once I was happy with fit and alignment they were glued in place using UHU Plast Special model glue (which is the glue the kit manufacturer recommends). The part hull was then put to one side for 24hrs while the glue fully hardenes.

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 01:02:43 am »

Whilst I am waiting for the glue to dry properly on the keel and frames I decided to start building the cabin.
As with all of this model the cabin has slots and tabs so everything locates easily and everything stays nice and square.
The control panel in the cabin has holes in it so that when the decal goes on you can put two led`s under it and once wired up it illuminates the panel.
The only bugbear I have so far is that, on the nickel silver fret, there are only 2 door escutcheons and having 2 doors you need 4. So I have used the 2 from the fret on the internal non-opening door and I will fabricate 2 for the external door.
The holes in the corners are so you can run any wires for led`s etc through them but I will probably glue some trunking so that all the wires are hidden.

RST

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 09:33:13 pm »

I am very interested in this kit for a little while now, particulrly how the parts fit together as it's very much a traditional wood build converted to plastic.

Based on your statement "UHU Plast Special model glue (which is the glue the kit manufacturer recommends)" I am watching with more interest.  I googled it and if it's the pink bottle with the needle tip I hope it works for you.  I tried a few things with it and it held for a month OK before falling apart.  Anyhow I like the kit for the money -just waiting for some more proper biulds.  The interior looks very detailed anyway.  What are you planning motor/battery wise?

Rich

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2019, 12:12:26 am »

Yes Rich that's the stuff. I've never used it before the only reason I went for it is the kit manufacturer recommends it also the other build on here and one I have found on YouTube used it.
I usually model in styrene not ABS and use EMA plastic weld but when I tried it on the keel and frames it stuck but it only took a slight knock and it came apart. Thanks for the heads up I will keep an eye on it.
As for the motors, batteries etc ( non at the moment I) am building it for my father who doesn't sale he just wants it as a static model
On with the build. Like an idiot I forgot to take picture of the stretchers being glued on. The next job once they were dry was the first of the two hull skins once again plenty of glue and about half a roll of my best Tamiya masking tape to hold them in place.
I also bent the nickel silver hinges to shape and fixed them to the outer door. It opens and closes freely.
Pictures to follow.

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2019, 12:17:48 am »

The hull.

The wheelhouse door.

Tafelspitz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Bedlam
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2019, 12:57:21 pm »

If there are supposed to be pictures, I'm afraid I don't see any.
We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology.  Carl Sagan

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2019, 01:43:57 pm »

Hi Tafelspitz
Yes there are supposed to be pictures. They do appear when I look at the thread. Can everybody else see them ?

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2019, 01:47:07 pm »

I can see the pictures no problem, all there.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2019, 02:05:48 pm »

Thanks Jim
I've just logged out and had a look and pictures are there. Sorry Tafelspitz looks like there's something wrong your end.
Chris

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2019, 11:03:44 pm »

The next 2 pieces of the hull have been glued to the frames and the prop shaft support also fixed in place. The stern has also been glued on this took quite a bit of time to get it right so there are no gaps. It was then put to one side to fully harden The pictures show it after all the masking tape has been removed.
Whilst the hull was drying I turned my attention to doing a little bit of detailing inside the cabin this includes putting cable trunking in the corners for the LED wires and also a couple of notice boards a first aid box and switch panel box.

RST

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2019, 07:21:42 pm »

Looks like it's coming together well. Not much evidence of filler so far. Careful "jiggling" or is it slotting together nicely? I've built like this before with PS, but it always wants to bend, and it's my own designs -your keel looks quite straight which is the main part! Is there much sanding of anything yet?

What are you thinking for motors and batteries? I guess it's big enough to take quite chunky ni-mh and 400 motors if you're staying KISS old school?

Rich

RST

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2019, 07:23:25 pm »

Oops forget last comment. Just re-read it's not going to be powered. Sorry!

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2019, 09:52:04 pm »

There isn't any filler on the hull in the previous pictures but it will need a touch here and there, mainly around the bow and stern areas. I've not had to do much "jiggling" as the hull went together very well. The only piece I've had to do the most work on is the stern piece as the piece was a couple of mm longer than it needed to be but it was just a cases of test fitting, trimming and more test fitting before it was glued.
As far as the electronics is concerned my father just wants it for display but I may put motors in etc so there is scope to sail it at a later date.
I haven't had any experience with brushless motors or lipo's yet so I may dip my toe but would have to do a bit of research before committing myself.

RST

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2019, 11:28:37 pm »

Kudos but it's not an obvious example for a shelf queen?  Intrigued / nosy...

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2019, 02:03:41 am »

Like I said in an earlier post I'm building this boat for my dad ( I usually build lifeboats ) and I was going to build him one bit it's not what he wanted.
His brief was he wanted something bright (  you don't get much brighter than orange ) and with the potential to add detailing ( figures etc ) and lots of lights ( it comes with spotlights and I will be adding interior, navigation lights etc) .

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2019, 02:13:10 am »

He also knows I very nearly purchased this kit for myself a few years ago but instead bought a lifeboat hull and plans .

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2019, 10:28:19 pm »

Although I haven't posted for a while I have still been working on the boat.
When the glue on hull was completely dry it was removed from the jig and the tabs which held it in the jig were removed and sanded smooth. All the seams were then sealed with epoxy resin,this took a few days to do as, I had to wait for the rein to go off on one side before I could turn it at different angles so the resin got into all the seams. This makes the hull very rigid and also hopefully water tight (this will be tested when the prop shafts and rudders have been installed). In the meantime I have got on with the interior making the seats and tables. The seats are a mini kit in themselves each one consists of 7 individual pieces of ABS and 2 wooden dowels for the legs.

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2019, 10:44:39 pm »

The prop shafts and rudders tubes have now been bonded to the hull. For the prop shafts I made 2 spacers to make sure the shafts went in nice and parallel to each other. In the instructions it tells you to leave the rudder tubes protruding through the hull by 1mm and resin around them. But I didn't like the thought of messing my nice hull up with resin if I got it wrong (and I probably would) so instead I glued a reinforcing piece (which can be seen in the previous pictures) and filed the tube to the angle of the hull so once it was bonded in it was nice and smooth. I will have to file the top edge of the rudders themselves so that they have the same throw side to side.
I have also fitted the feet to the seats and filled and rounded edges off as they look better than having square edges. I have just placed them and the desks on the base to see the overall effect. They will all be glued in lace after painting.

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2019, 12:48:11 am »

As I stated in my previous post I have installed the rudder tubes so they are flush with the bottom of the hull this means I have had to file an angle on the top of the rudders themselves to allow them to turn and not catch the hull. I have also made a small angled bush out of plastic tube that sits between the rudder and hull. The rudder servo tray has been fitted inside the hull and the rudder assembly has been fitted. The rear cabin has been painted light grey and miniature LED'S have been fixed to the the walls to allow the cabin to be lit up, warning decals have also been fixed to the various boxes.

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2019, 10:12:39 am »

That looks like a really nicely engineered kit.   :-))   How is ABS glue holding?

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2019, 01:14:29 pm »

Hi
Yes the kit is very well engineered and goes together very well bar a bit of tweeking here and there. The glue is holding ok fingers crossed.

mark w

• Full Mayhemer
  • "I stick my neck out for nobody"
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2019, 01:34:35 am »

Interesting kit, haven't seen that one. Looking good  :-)) .

Mark
"If she can stand it, I can too, play it"

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2019, 04:40:08 pm »

A little bit more done over the past couple of days.
The first photo shows how the rudders just clears the bottom of the hull.
I have also built the stand. This is made from laser cut ply and when assembled seems very sturdy.
Most of the remaining structures ( bollard stands, front spot light assembly and deck shelter ) have all been built.
Next job will to bond the deck to the hull.

Beyno1968

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2019, 09:55:05 pm »

The deck has been now glued to the hull and will be left for the glue to dry fully.
I couldn't help myself but put the cabin and deck shelter on loosely to get the overall look of the boat.
The roof of the front cabin has been made and the LEDs wired up ready for fitting.
The LEDs have been temporarily wired up so I could get a feel of how it looks.
On the control panel I wasn't happy with the amount of light ( only certain areas of the panel were lighting up ) so I added a couple more LEDs and I now looks a lot better.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.