Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for servo...?  (Read 1707 times)

colh107

• Full Mayhemer
  • Looking into getting back into it, after 35+ yrs!
Suggestions for servo...?
« on: September 19, 2019, 06:27:25 pm »

Looking to buy a servo for a 2ft 'sport' type cabin cruiser. The rudder is no more than 3" sq.
I've 'chosen' the ESC/BEC to use - it puts out 6V BEC voltage.
Just not sure how 'beefy' I need to go on the servo - it's not that price is any object, but seems daft to get something more expensive or heavy than I should need.
Suggestions/recommendations welcome. Thanks.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: Suggestions for servo...?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 06:47:56 pm »

The Futaba S148  & S3003 have for many years been considered 'the standard Servo', you can get metal geared versions of them for extra strength, S3305 ...... plus many other equivalents and alternatives.
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

colh107

• Full Mayhemer
  • Looking into getting back into it, after 35+ yrs!
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 06:52:51 pm »

The Futaba S148  & S3003 have for many years been considered 'the standard Servo', you can get metal geared versions of them for extra strength, S3305 ...... plus many other equivalents and alternatives.

Thanks Martin. I'm sure 'standard' is all I need, but good to get a tip to the reliable, respected, 'go to' types - that's the kind of steer [lol] I needed.
Cheers

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 10:52:06 pm »

I always go with metal geared servos for rudders now. just safety, as well as where in the boat is the rudder...is it accessible to be refitted in the future??
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2019, 09:33:29 am »

Just looking at a slightly larger sport cruiser hull (actuall a rescue launch), it has a rudder measuring about 1.25" by 0.75".  It had a larger one fitted, but this was far too much for the boat, and the smaller one works much better.  Just uses a very, very ordinary plastic geared standard size servo, same as my yachts that have mch larger rudders, but obviously don't go as fast.
Any standard size servo will do the job, the area where care is needed is making sure that the mount is solid enough.  A wandering servo does not make for good steering.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

clockworks

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2019, 12:26:41 pm »

I used to race 1/10th buggies (on grass) and 1/12th Mardave cars (on carpet). Many of the guys were on a tight budget, and used standard size plastic geared steering servos - Futaba or Hitec, or even the basic ones that came with their Acoms or Sanwa radios. I can't remember anyone breaking a servo, and they had a much harder life than in a boat. The buggies usually came with a servo saver, but these were tightened right down to eliminate most of the steering slop over jumps or if a track marker was clipped.

I'm sticking with Futaba 3003 (or the Hitec equivalent) servos in my boats - proven design, not too expensive, and good enough for scale boat rudders.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2019, 08:02:04 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.