Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vintage speed controllers  (Read 1959 times)

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
Vintage speed controllers
« on: August 26, 2019, 09:18:52 pm »

Sadly I have had to dispose of models of a deceased club member. Many of the models were fitted with Maplins  electronic speed controllers these units were supplied in kit form in the late 1980. At the time all we had was Bobs boards and other types of wire wound resistors. Been able to get one of these for under a tenner was magic. But like all things they fast became obsolete with better items been available. I have managed to get two working today the rest have gone in the bin.

Stan.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Vintage speed controllers
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 09:51:59 pm »

Hi nice to see them, I have a coupleI built and they were a good value for money at the time but that big transistor failed and I gave up on them.  I still have a few ZN 409s though left over from when my eyesight was better.

My first home job esc was the Pompey published in RC &E magazine.  I built 2 of these, they had an H configuration of OC 29s (I think) with the motor in the centre bar of the H.  But you dropped 2 lots of 0.7 volts across the emitter and base junction so they got a bit warm, mine were mounted in a small tobacco tin with the tin as the heat sink.

The Pompey pre-dated the Maplin as it had an integrated circuit in a transistor can with 6 legs.  Later of course there was a BEC circuit published in Model Car magazine (still use them).  In those days the BEC circuit was in with the rx.  This was a neat little circuit using a zenor diode as the voltage control.

If anyone is repairing old esc's I have a small supply of OC 29 and 36 just drop me a PM. (no charge)

Next came a neat little circuit which when there was a maximum speed called for from the Tx then this circuit would by-pass the amplifying transisitor(s), so giving you a zero volts drop and the power transisitors could cool down.

Now with FET technology and more there is so little power consumed by the esc that heat sinks are no longer needed.

Happy days!

johnv

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 09:37:51 pm »

Hi Stan it's John V I still have two brand new .still in packets MFA mechanical speed controllers part no 1105/2 if you know anyone that would have them cheers  John V

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 09:54:43 pm »

They are good for a "trials" controller. They have such a high current rating you can use them in a model ans with an ammeter get the running current with the boat in the water.

Bob
Officially a GOG.

johnv

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 10:58:32 pm »

Hi bob its John if you know anyone that could use them .with just the cost of postage cheers John V
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.