Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Returner to the hobby after a very long break!  (Read 1696 times)

CaptainJoshie

• Full Mayhemer
  • I’d rather be Boating
Returner to the hobby after a very long break!
« on: August 28, 2019, 11:00:47 pm »

Hi All

My first post!

After many many years (50+) away from the hobby I am getting my old models out of mothballs  :-) .

My first two models are a very old (1950's?) Tid Tug and a Duplex 575 Yacht from the 1970's.

It is the Duplex 575 I have a question or a request about, does anyone have a copy of the building instructions please?

I loaned the 575 to someone and it was returned with the rigging undone, in a right tangle and no instructions which I had given to them!

I was in a club, Hanwell District Model Society, wondering if it's still going? Though I now live in North Norfolk, with no Club locally.

When I turn them on I was surprised to find the batteries were dead on both the models  {-)

Anyway any help would be appreciated. If this posting is in the wrong place please feel free to move it.

John H.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Returner to the hobby after a very long break!
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 02:52:12 am »

Hi John,

My suggestion would be to start 2 new threads for your restorations.

You could start a thread for the TID on the board here https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/board,94.0.html With a thread entitled TID Restoration Help Needed

And another one for the Duplex here https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/board,90.0.html

You will no doubt get lots of advice from other members.

Welcome aboard  :-))
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Dave_S.

• Full Mayhemer
  • Member of Oxford Model Boat Club
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 07:21:00 am »

Hi John, I was a member of the Hanwell cub in the early/mid 90s. I met some of the members again recently at the model show at Alexandra Palace in January, where they had a club stand, so they are definitely still active.
Ruining perfectly good kits since 1969.

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 10:33:00 am »

When I turn them on I was surprised to find the batteries were dead on both the models  {-)

Well, really! You can't rely on ANYthing these days, can you?  :-)

You've reminded me that I've still got an ancient 575 knocking about somewhere too, hmmm.......
Regards
Kit

spearfish99

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2019, 02:04:46 pm »

I have just recovered my Duplex 575 kit from the attic.  It has the instructions in which I can copy for you.  Send me a PM with your address.

Incidentally, the kit is on its way to the daughter of the original producer.  She is collecting them for a sailing project based at the recently re-opened Jetty Museum in Bowness on Windermere  ( formerly the Windermere Steamboat Museum.)   If anyone has a 575 they don't want, I am sure that Elaine Middleton would be pleased to hear from you c/o the Jetty Museum.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 21 queries.