Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Vice  (Read 7685 times)

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Vice
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2019, 04:51:15 pm »

It all depends on what you are going to do with the vice really. If I was going to be bending metal bar, I would definitely have the vice fixed solidly to a strong heavy, possibly even fixed, base. However, I only use my Stanley bench top vice for holding pieces of metal whilst cutting them, and so clamps are more than enough for that. I have woodworking vices built into my bench, I have the swivel type mini vice shown in the original post, and I also have a number of hand held vices. Horses for courses really.

If my hobby included more metal work and engineering I would certainly have a large vice permanently fixed to an engineering bench.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2019, 07:13:42 pm »

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2019, 07:36:48 pm »

i now have to admit i must be a vice aholic, i thought i will just take some pictures. oops just how many have i got, well 3 big engineering vices in the 6" range one solidly mounted and two spare, at least 4 small ones on the kitchen table workbench, then in the workshop a few more including 2 woodworking, some more small ones, several for the drill press, plus not shown a blacksmiths vice, all that and i couldnt find the rubber jawed one, i think its at least 20 vices

RST

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2019, 07:55:53 pm »

You really must "clamp down" on that obsession before it gets out of hand. Don't want vice squad knocking on your door for racketeering and having the best square cut corner of the market.  You need to get a grip on it I think.

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2019, 08:51:29 pm »

Are those TOES ?????  good grief fancy walking around in that with bare feet %%     
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2019, 08:54:47 pm »

oops i found the rubber jawed vice, but in searching i found another 1 1/2" vice

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2019, 08:57:12 pm »

its when you drop a 9AH 12v lead acid battery on them that hurts, i do clear up metal filings better, wood shavings are nothing, and i do have tough soles through doing most tings at home barefoot

RST

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2019, 09:40:42 pm »

A longer second toe is supposed to be an example of a "leader" as well. Mine used to be like yours but points left when I broke it stubbing my toe quite lightly but it went "crack" then the whole foot went yellow and up my calf went purple.

We had someone on our boat offshore stub their toe wearing flip-flops where they shouldn't (flip-flops and crocks are cabin material only). Turned us into having to wear full PPE to walk past a regular space which was totally uneccesary. Incl hard hats and glasses, and you know what the guy who complained about his toe still walked through with shorts and flip-flops after.  Exercised his "right" to expose his rotten tonnails to one and all.  Not my lifeboat thankfully.  I just used to say make sure I'm Infront of you while you're pussyfooting across a hot deck or trying to climb a ladder. Just as well no Lego bricks offshore! If so, would just give you a slap and climb over!

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2019, 01:28:44 am »

A few points .......human toe formation with a protruding second toe is or are termed as Roman Toes O0 ...[as distinct from Roam-on toes]

Yes....leaders of men ...champions of the masses [people that is, as distinct from a Religious activity] practised by many in ancient Rome lands of the day

When I applied to our Department of Defence for a position of Engineering Weapons Foreman at our Garden Island Naval Dockyard, the only real criteria was not my previous engineering or man management qualifications and skills .......but at my 3rd interview I had to remove my shoes & socks
Yes that sealed the appointment as I had Roman toes  {-) 

Grendel.....what can we say......I suggest you have the most complete or greatest number of clamping type Vices in any well organised and tidily presented workshop ever seen......I do like your 3" Mr Nippy %)  ........completed with the square slotted slots  :-))

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2019, 08:57:03 am »

That's where my nail bar went !!
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2019, 10:42:04 am »

It seemed like a game of spot the vice at one point  {-)
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2019, 11:18:08 am »

Found a picture of the vice I have similar to the first post and only a partial of the second vice with the rotating jaws, the tommy bar to the right of the main body barrel controls the angle at which you rotate the jaw.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2019, 11:22:55 am »

The vice I want now is a 6" bench vice suitable enough to crush any old hard drives I have, though I would have to fit the thing initially to a macallister work bench outside, as due to experience the amount of flying debris is disconcerting as you tighten the jaws, plus i dont want to make too much mess in the workshop / loft   :D ;) %)

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2019, 11:59:48 am »

I was told by an IT guy that the easiest way to destroy a hard drive is to put a drill through it, as this renders the disc itself inoperable, and unsalvageable .

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2019, 12:06:02 pm »

The vice I want now is a 6" bench vice suitable enough to crush any old hard drives I have, though I would have to fit the thing initially to a macallister work bench outside, as due to experience the amount of flying debris is disconcerting as you tighten the jaws, plus i dont want to make too much mess in the workshop / loft   :D ;) %)

Give the hard drive 5 mins in a microwave oven, it's what I did with the wife's credit cards %)
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2019, 01:28:38 pm »

yep, but that would mean having to by a new microwave for each hard drive zapped, over the years have several that I never disposed of, at work a big 6" vice could help crush it as we did for the old pc's we disposed of.

I would have thought the chip would have sparked the microwave, a pair of scissors is easier.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2019, 02:09:46 pm »

I was told by an IT guy that the easiest way to destroy a hard drive is to put a drill through it, as this renders the disc itself inoperable, and unsalvageable .

Pretty well nothing is unsalvageable. It just depends on how much work you are prepared to put into it. I take the disc out its case - thats the very shiny metal disc(s) put them in a garden bonfire & then bend them/ hammer them into interesting shapes.

Warspite,

That would be a very impressive pair of scissors

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2019, 10:40:42 pm »

Just digressing....Microwaves + X Rays + Credit Cards, many years ago when body X-Rays were first introduced at Australian Airports...I flew from Sydney to Adelaide.......went to use my Combank Master card....= dead
Went to use my AMEX Card...................= dead

Went to the Commonwealth Bank in the City of Adelaide who suggested the data on the Card didn't exist, or subjected to magnetic influence
Went to the AMEX Office in the City  where it was confirmed that no data existed on the card........but could not explain how or why  it was OK before I flew over to Adelaide 2 days earlier

Talk about Vice  <*<
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2019, 10:28:04 am »

Yep scissors = credit card ok

40 ton press brake as a scissor  = hard drive - no contest

we had a metal work shop and it was suggested to use that, then we decided the boss might have something to say about us misusing the machine so the bench vice was used - still as good, though it was fixed to a 20' bench with a steel top and 4" wooden frame and various other steel vices and tool boxes on it  :}

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2019, 10:53:38 am »

So - no suggestions as to which brand of bench vice is the best - or are they much the same as each other, as previously stated they all appear to be a re-branded version for any company, is the case?, those that swivel on the base are they any good or is it just another item that fails after a couple of uses.

The one we had in the shed workshop when the company was set up to replace the original company when it closed due to the boss retiring, yes, bit of a story to that, the main screw had a quick release lever that used to fail every so often and we had to reset it before the vice could be used, so I was looking for one that didn't have this feature and most advertised don't have it anyway, but the quality of the main screw and the swivel feature makes me suspect of unknown brands, hence why the query.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2019, 11:29:32 am »

the small swivel ones I have (pale blue colour, are goodness knows how old, both came from boot fair purchases and showe a fair amount of wear, but both the brakes on the swivels still operate on the lock arm, so even though they are no name brand, and have had years of mistreatment they still work ok, so on that basis I wouldnt worry overly about the swivel bases, the more modern alloy ones with rubber jaws, on the basis they have a clamp screw on a ball joint, I would rate those as OK for light use, and the big beasties of bench mounted vices, well I hammer against those all the time and never managed to break one yet.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2019, 11:33:04 am »

that said, would I buy a brand new vice in the larger sizes, probably not, the quality of the older boot fair finds is probably far superior. (and cheaper, even if they do come in around £50)

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2019, 11:48:21 am »

@Warspite
Here are some online reviews. Some US models may be available in Europe. Most are not 6", but do you actually need that big. There are advantages and disadvantages to both larger and smaller items. Budget may also be a factor. I did have a quick look and at least one vice turns up in more than one 'best of' list.
I have to agree with Grendel about boot sales being a good way to go for quality, providing it is a really old one, and price.

https://bestofmachinery.com/best-bench-vise-review/
https://healthyhandyman.com/best-bench-vise-guide/
https://toolsfirst.com/best-bench-vice/
https://www.garagetooladvisor.com/hand-tools/best-bench-vise/

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2019, 12:31:18 pm »

Although the larger size may seem excessive, for the uses i seem to be engaged in, they are not some of the work being done in the home require a large surface area of grip hence the need for a 6" bench vice, but I am looking at a happy compromise of either the 4 or 5" versions,
as previously stated its the quality of the mechanism that makes me worried - as mentioned the older ones appear to be more robust.

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2019, 01:53:27 pm »

If the large surface area you need is for clamping non-metals, you might want to consider a carpenters vice. I am not sure if this is the case. Ignore me if it isn't the case.

These fix under your bench, as long as you have room for the screw and slide to protrude back into. You then make your own jaws, with the top of the jaws level with the bench top, and so no loss of bench top work area. Even an 8" vice mechanism can be fitted with 12" or longer jaws. I have an 8" on my bench, and I made the jaws from plywood. I used blocks of wood as very fat shims to make up the height and attached the vice from underneath with lag bolts.
If you have a thick bench top, and you set the face of the rear jaw flush with the bench edge, then the length of your bench top can act as the rear jaw. It is also worth considering carpenter's vices with a quick release lever (bottom pic) if you will do a lot of work.
How to fit videos on youtube.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.