Model Boat Mayhem - Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Maid of the Loch Plans  (Read 640 times)

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
Maid of the Loch Plans
« on: August 28, 2019, 11:32:15 PM »

Hi, does anyone have a set of the plans for the Maid of the Loch by Alex Thomson as featured in MB May 2010 ?.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Maid of the Loch Plans
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 01:27:31 PM »

%% %%

If not for sale does anyone have a copy they can take a picture of so that I can see what build detail is on the plan..

Sarik unable to provide a picture but say it is a good seller.. but do not want to pay 20.00 if does not have detail I would require.

Thanks

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 02:10:03 PM »

Looking at the May 2010 article which includes a profile plan plus photos of the model I would judge that the plans are near scale rather than exact scale. The hull lines were derived from Talisman/Caledonia hull shapes and the upperworks from sketches and photos as you probably know.

There is plenty of detail on Alex's model which I imagine is also shown on the plan but if not there are many photos of the ship which would help with fittings plus there is a model of the vessel on the vessel itself. I took a lot of on board photos when we visited the ship in 2017.

Colin

Martin [Admin]

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!"    -   Mayhem FaceBook Group!

sabre

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 11:49:48 PM »

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 09:15:11 PM »

Give Cornwall model boats a try.  Nearly twenty notes though.

https://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/Maid-of-the-Loch-Paddle-Ship-Model-Boat-Plan-MM2042.html

Hi Thanks, Yes they do it but I wanted to see a picture first just to get some idea about it., but looks like I may have to either bite the bullet or wait a while to see if one turns up, really surprised they do not have low res pics as I am sure they would sell a lot more of the plans they do have if they did, poor marketing if you ask me especially when it says returns are not allowed as printed specially, wonder how that would stand up in the Distance selling regulations as I am sure you are supposed to be able to see all that you are buying.

Thanks for the link Martin, was up there the other month while SWMBO was swimming the length of the Loch in a 5 person relay !!, was able to go aboard and take a few pictures although not a great day weather wise, also got a few pictures of the model in the Shopping precinct.  Although I am aware that they have done a lot of work to the vessel it looked much the same as it did nearly 18 years ago..

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2019, 09:35:03 PM »

If you have the May 2010 issue of the magazine it is pretty apparent what degree of detail is likely to be on the plans from the illustrations of Alex's model. I'm afraid that Sarik have taken over the plans and sell them 'as is' so you need to do your own research.

As always, the problem is that there are a lot of plans but individual ones only sell in very small numbers so there is no incentive to invest in marketing them. The illustrations on the Sarik site are usually just the rather inadequate ones which were originally shown on the MB and MMI websites. To get a decent impression of quality you need to get back to the original magazine articles.

I have always found it a matter for regret that plans are not issued with copies of the original magazine articles describing them and their construction where appropriate. It would take only a matter of half an hour or so to scan the relevant articles into a printable PDF file that could be sent out with the plan in most cases. OK that might not work so well with some of the instalment type articles such as those by Dave Metcalf which extended over several months but most plan articles were covered in just one or two issues.

Definitely some missed marketing opportunities I think.

Colin

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2019, 10:02:33 PM »

Definitely some missed marketing opportunities I think.

Colin

Definitely agree, when I am selling my surplus mags on ebay when I first put them on I just detailed that the plan was available, as soon as I put a picture of the plan on as well they sold much quicker much to the boss's delight...

Yes I have the mags from 2010 but was just hoping I could see the plan, I can wait as not an immediate project, I have the Talisman plan with the near book feature write up about the build but have never seen it as it was broken up many years ago , where as I have seen the Maid so has some meaning..

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2019, 10:32:02 PM »

Yes, we visited the Maid a couple of years back in pelting rain but still enjoyed the experience and used the onboard cafe. An interesting and attractive vessel and I really do hope they get her operational again in which case there is a good chance she can pay her way as she is in such good condition and being based where she is should be able to draw on a solid tourist trade close to Glasgow.

Colin

marinemole

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2019, 10:58:45 AM »

Not info on plans but this link may be of interest.

https://i.stv.tv/2AOaP0T

Andy

Pages: [1]   Go Up