Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just an. This didntother newbie question concerning RC.  (Read 1939 times)

old man

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Just an. This didntother newbie question concerning RC.
« on: August 29, 2019, 05:33:17 pm »

Help again please?
Just received a repair kit for my DF65 having possibly blown the electronics by trying to bind the original Joysway RX to a Flysky i6 TX. That didn't go well and resulted in lots of smoke.
New kit comprises new Flysky RX, new sail and rudder servos.
Anyway! Tx/Rx bind appears ok.
Trying to be clever i decided to connect the servos up separately, the result, no reaction from sail servo and rudder one rotating 360 deg while power on?
Any clues please, servos us or setting on TX?
cheers.

Not sinking just yet but control is problematic.

No smoke or grinding is a bonus!

old man

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Just an. This didntother newbie question concerning RC.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 06:20:22 pm »

Wonderful chromebook.

coch y bonddu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 06:33:14 pm »

How are you powering up the esc

Dave

old man

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 06:43:48 pm »

How are you powering up the esc

Dave
Same battery pack as used previously Dave.
I bound the Tx first with no other connections other than the loop and battery via the switch as would be normal.

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2019, 11:08:14 am »

Rudder servos are usually mechanically limited to 270 degrees to avoid damaging the position sensing pot.  Under normal conditions, they do about 45 degrees each side of normal, so one that goes further probably isn't a rudder servo.  There are continuous rotating servos that look like ordinary ones, but these are really a small esc sharing a small box with a motor and gearbox.  If the received signal on powering up tells it to drive, it will.
The sailwinch, OTOH, can rotate more than 360, and, if it has a valid signal from whatever channel it is plugged into, will try to take up the position that the transmitter stick is telling it.
I'm surprised that the magic smoke came out when trying to bind unsucessfully.  Assuming that the power was plugged in the right place and the right way round, if they don't want to bind they just sit there and ignore you.

Said it before - a servo tester is a useful bit of kit to have around.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

old man

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2019, 11:19:57 am »

Rudder servos are usually mechanically limited to 270 degrees to avoid damaging the position sensing pot.  Under normal conditions, they do about 45 degrees each side of normal, so one that goes further probably isn't a rudder servo.  There are continuous rotating servos that look like ordinary ones, but these are really a small esc sharing a small box with a motor and gearbox.  If the received signal on powering up tells it to drive, it will.
The sailwinch, OTOH, can rotate more than 360, and, if it has a valid signal from whatever channel it is plugged into, will try to take up the position that the transmitter stick is telling it.
I'm surprised that the magic smoke came out when trying to bind unsucessfully.  Assuming that the power was plugged in the right place and the right way round, if they don't want to bind they just sit there and ignore you.

Said it before - a servo tester is a useful bit of kit to have around.

Thanks for the info Malcolm, This is the original rudder servo still in boat that worked perfectly till I interfered by trying to bind A Flysky Tx to the original Joysway Rx.
Have I cooked the sensing pot whatever that is?

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2019, 11:45:41 am »

Thanks for the info Malcolm, This is the original rudder servo still in boat that worked perfectly till I interfered by trying to bind A Flysky Tx to the original Joysway Rx.
Have I cooked the sensing pot whatever that is?
The sensing pot is a part very much like the volume control in a radio.  It contains a carbon track arranged in a 3/4 circle and has delicate wipers that sweep across it.  It tells the rest of the servo where it is pointing, and whether it should or should not be driving, and which way, to end up agreeing with the input signal, when the motor stops driving. 
Apart from the elecronic control, to prevent damage to the wipers, there is a mechanical end stop, usually comprising a lump on the output gear and two matching mouldings on the inside of the case.  When one runs into the other, everything is forced to stop.  If this is the original steering servo, then something really 'orrible has happened to it for it to go over 270 degrees.
"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

old man

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2019, 12:38:44 pm »

The sensing pot is a part very much like the volume control in a radio.  It contains a carbon track arranged in a 3/4 circle and has delicate wipers that sweep across it.  It tells the rest of the servo where it is pointing, and whether it should or should not be driving, and which way, to end up agreeing with the input signal, when the motor stops driving. 
Apart from the elecronic control, to prevent damage to the wipers, there is a mechanical end stop, usually comprising a lump on the output gear and two matching mouldings on the inside of the case.  When one runs into the other, everything is forced to stop.  If this is the original steering servo, then something really 'orrible has happened to it for it to go over 270 degrees.

The jumping of the mechanical stop could account for the noise and motion.
Will hand over to a club guru now before it turns into a viking burial boat.
Thanks again for the info.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.