Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PORTHOLES AN FITTIN IN THE GLAZEIN  (Read 4513 times)

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
PORTHOLES AN FITTIN IN THE GLAZEIN
« on: September 05, 2019, 12:30:40 pm »

HI ALL has anbody got a better idea how to do this than my idea which is fit them then glue a clear bit of acetate  behind the porthole back ?
chris

Buccaneer

• Full Mayhemer
Re: PORTHOLES AN FITTIN IN THE GLAZEIN
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2019, 04:42:40 pm »

Hello Chris

Depending upon the size you require Cornwall Model Boats sell ready glazed portholes.

John

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2019, 08:46:33 pm »

Hello Chris

Depending upon the size you require Cornwall Model Boats sell ready glazed portholes.

John

HI John they are 6mm portholes an I bought a 100 of them for my tiger from the same shop but thanks for your suggestion  :-)) but I think the better way to go now is to sand down the front of P/H an glue clear acetate on the front
chris
chris

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 09:38:52 pm »

There is another possibility which I have used in the past. Get a revolving leather punch and there is a good chance that one of the holes will match the inside diameter of the portholes. Then punch out thin acetate disks, press them into position and secure from the back with canopy glue. Sometimes they look better if you first paint one side of the acetate sheet dark blue and mount the disks with the unpainted side facing outwards.

If you can't find the right size on a revolving punch then sets of metric hollow metal punches are inexpensive. You just need a hammer then!

Colin

Plastic - RIP

• Inactive
  • Full Mayhemer
  • Bobbing Along!
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2019, 09:13:05 am »

Another way is putting tape on the inside of the hull and, with the hull on its side, fill each hole with clear epoxy.     When it's all cured, remove the tape and your portholes should be watertight.

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2019, 10:28:46 am »

Another way is putting tape on the inside of the hull and, with the hull on its side, fill each hole with clear epoxy.     When it's all cured, remove the tape and your portholes should be watertight.

HI Plastic that's a very good idea I like that an that will be the way to go for me but which epoxy do you mean as I don't think ive ever used it ? an how long does it take to go off hard ?
chris

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2019, 12:25:00 pm »

You need to look for clear casting resin as most other thin epoxies often have a yellowish colour when set. This method would work best before the portholes are fitted to the hull, this way you can be sure they are level before adding the epoxy. Setting time depends on the resin and the room temperature but would likely be under 30 minutes.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2019, 01:29:57 pm »

Filling with epoxy or casting resin is an option but I have found that you do not get a flat surface due to surface tension so the 'glass' has a distinct concave effect. Ideally you want a flat disk for best effect.

Best to experiment before deciding.

Colin

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2019, 03:02:55 pm »

OK guys what shop would sell this casting resin ? is it any different to the resin I used in my ship hull ? an JimG  I will have to put the resin in after I have fitted the p/h into the hull as I have got to spray paint the hull severall times over the month's but I do see what you mean about level but I will have to do a few at a time then move the hull to a different level to do the rest but cheers guys for your input
chris

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2019, 03:50:53 pm »

Filling with epoxy or casting resin is an option but I have found that you do not get a flat surface due to surface tension so the 'glass' has a distinct concave effect. Ideally you want a flat disk for best effect.

Best to experiment before deciding.

Colin

HI Colin yes I will do but im not to worryied about the concave affect as the portholes are only 6mm across  so I don't think it will notice cheers as well for your input
chris

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2019, 08:03:24 pm »

OK guys what shop would sell this casting resin ? is it any different to the resin I used in my ship hull ? an JimG  I will have to put the resin in after I have fitted the p/h into the hull as I have got to spray paint the hull severall times over the month's but I do see what you mean about level but I will have to do a few at a time then move the hull to a different level to do the rest but cheers guys for your input
chris
You can find several online suppliers although they tend to supply it in larger quantities. Hobbycraft do stock it in 150ml size although it is not the cheapest, however you may have a hobbycraft store near you. used for making things like paperweights etc.

Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2019, 08:21:46 pm »

You can find several online suppliers although they tend to supply it in larger quantities. Hobbycraft do stock it in 150ml size although it is not the cheapest, however you may have a hobbycraft store near you. used for making things like paperweights etc.

Jim

OK Jim i'll have a look at hobbycraft an see whats what many thanks for your help  :-))
chris

RST

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2019, 08:49:59 pm »

Hello Chris

John

You can get glazed portholes in any number of sizes, also on ebay etc.  Might not be economical if you need lots though and some of them come beautifully drilled for bolts ? Rivents which all need simulating after to fill the holes.  Trouble with pre-glazed as I found myself recently is you tend to see a bit of brass where you can't paint where the glass is fitted.  On the pre-glazed portholes I got last time the portlights seem to be glass or some form of really, really brittle plastic, on trying to "pop" them out for painting, they just shattered and crumbled.

Do you need them to be clear?  What diameter do you need? (sorry, just seen 6mm).  Have seen many builds over the years where the author just sliced polystyrene tube or brass tube into the required length and glued in place.  Sand back flush inside, sand back to required profile outside.  Cut the "half circle" rain deflector" above (don't know the word) from electrical solder wrapped round a dowell and cut in half.  Sand it flat, or crush in pliers beforehand.  When it's all sanded back flush inside you can use regular clear plastic sheet and glue inside.

....Just thoughts for options for you which might give some inspiration?  I hate glazing, some glue always slips into view but at 6mm diameter I think you can avoid that somehow.

Rich

RST

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2019, 11:25:28 pm »

Just remembered a name as a reference.  Dave Wooley writes for MB mag. Oodles of free common sense build tips from him every build in detail. I admire him utmost to be able to cut a consistent and straight line or make a round hole in anything, repeatedly, again and again. He's always doing portholes and such tedious things to repeat from scratch.

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2019, 10:15:40 pm »

OK many thanks Rich for the ideas i'll have a ponder  :-))
chris
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.